Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking
John

Default free 3D cad software?

There has been many posts about cad software in the past. However, many so
callled freeware are crippled commercial demo. Since it takes some effort to
learn a 3D cad software, I don't want to spend a lot of time to evaluate a
demo only to discover the feature I need is crippled. Therefore, your advice
is needed.

I'm looking for a free (or the least expensive) cad program that
-allows exact dimensions to be entered (e.g. a piece of wood that is
3.5-inch by 1.5 inch by 8 feet)
-can output the design with all dimensions labeled, like an archetectural
drawing
-can view, rotate in 3D with simple surface (e.g. wood grain)
-can save/print the design

I checked out google's sketchup. It is easy enough to sketch, and I can even
enter dimensions of object. But that part doesn't seem very well developed.
I could not figure out how to enter the rotation angle of objects. Plus I
don't think it can produce an output with dimensions labeled. But then, I've
only spent 30 minutes playing with it.

What exactly are the differences between a modeling software and a CAD
software?

THANX cutegirl Home Repair 0 March 25th 06 10:57 AM
computer repair any real free spy ware software, point me there computer Electronics Repair 5 December 13th 05 09:38 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Lint free rags? David P Woodworking 10 December 18th 03 10:23 PM