Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Smith

Default Getting machine up onto movable base -- how?

This is probably a dumb question, but...

I've got a 6" jointer, which weighs about 200 lbs. I just got a
mobile base for it, and now that I've got the base assembled, I'm
stumped on how I'm supposed to get it onto the base.

I suppose I could just get a friend and we pick up each end of the
machine, but I'm afraid that picking it up by the table ends will
damage the ways or at least knock things out of alignment (if not the
table alignment, then maybe my vertibrae alignment). Is there a
simple way to do this that's not going to mess up the machine or my
back?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
This is probably a dumb question, but...

I've got a 6" jointer, which weighs about 200 lbs. I just got a
mobile base for it, and now that I've got the base assembled, I'm
stumped on how I'm supposed to get it onto the base.

I suppose I could just get a friend and we pick up each end of the
machine, but I'm afraid that picking it up by the table ends will
damage the ways or at least knock things out of alignment (if not the
table alignment, then maybe my vertibrae alignment). Is there a
simple way to do this that's not going to mess up the machine or my
back?

I recently put a 350lb band saw on to a mobile base, tip the tool over and
put 2x4's, stacked if necessary under one side tall enough to push the base
under + the thickness of a 1x4. Then push up the other side and slide the
base under with 1x4's on top of the base. The 1x4's allow the machine to
slide on top of the base until it is correctly centered. Remove the 1x4's
and let the machine drop down. Obviously easier with 2 people.

Posted to rec.woodworking
alexy

"Leon" wrote:

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
[...]

Neat idea. Seems that an improvement may be to substitute steel pipe
for the 1x material. Makes it easier to reposition.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"alexy" wrote in message
"Leon" wrote:

Neat idea. Seems that an improvement may be to substitute steel pipe
for the 1x material. Makes it easier to reposition.

Steel pipe probably would make positioning a bit easier however you only
have to push the equipment around a couple of inches. Pipe however may be
easier to remove after positioning the machine.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Wes Stewart

On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 14:20:17 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
[...]

Exactly how I did it with my Unisaw...by myself.

But, I had another MRI last week. Got another disk bulging...looks
like more steroid injections. [g]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Wes Stewart" wrote in message

Exactly how I did it with my Unisaw...by myself.

The Europeans have had this all figured out for some time now. Include or
offer a mobility kit that your 10 year old could use. Powermatic has the
mobility base built in on the new 2000 TS. My 500 lb Laguna that replaced
the 350 lb Rikon has 2 holes drilled into the base. You slip a steel shaft
through the holes in the base a mount a wheel on each end where the shaft
protrudes out and then add a washer and a retainer clip. You have to tip
the saw when slipping the wheels on the shaft. For the other end you use a
Johnson bar with wheels to lift the saw and steer it when you move it.

But, I had another MRI last week. Got another disk bulging...looks
like more steroid injections. [g]

Injections in your back? ;~( I had a steroid injection in the butt about
5 years ago to treat Bells Palsy. It did no good for recovery from the
Palsy but 2 days later my elbow and toe stopped hurting. I used to play a
lot of golf in school and screwed up my right elbow. For about 10 years my
elbow bothered me until I got that injection. Still pain free. The toe
started hurting again after dropping the Rikon BS table top on it 4 months
ago. It is much better now. :~)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
This is probably a dumb question, but...

I've got a 6" jointer, which weighs about 200 lbs. I just got a
mobile base for it, and now that I've got the base assembled, I'm
stumped on how I'm supposed to get it onto the base.

I suppose I could just get a friend and we pick up each end of the
machine, but I'm afraid that picking it up by the table ends will
damage the ways or at least knock things out of alignment (if not the
table alignment, then maybe my vertibrae alignment). Is there a
simple way to do this that's not going to mess up the machine or my
back?

No such a dumb question.
If you do not have a chain hoist or a come-a-long or other mechanical method
of lifting the machine, get help. Why risk injury or serious damage to your
new machine? My attitude is, work smart - not hard.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Smith

Teamcasa wrote:
No such a dumb question.
If you do not have a chain hoist or a come-a-long or other mechanical method
of lifting the machine, get help. Why risk injury or serious damage to your
new machine? My attitude is, work smart - not hard.

I can certainly rig up a block and tackle from a floor joist above,
but I'm not sure where to lift it from. There's no obvious place to
attach a hoist to it. This is a closed-stand Jet 6" jointer.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Roy Smith wrote:
I can certainly rig up a block and tackle from a floor joist above,
but I'm not sure where to lift it from. There's no obvious place to
attach a hoist to it. This is a closed-stand Jet 6" jointer.

I don't trust the joists enough to use a block and tackle. It's one thing to
support a roof; it's a whole 'nother thing to support a heavy jointer by one
point.

When I put my 8" North State jointer together (with a buddy), we assembled the
movable base first thing, then placed the jointer base on it. We then lifted
the guts of the jointer onto its base. By doing it in stages like that, it was
actually much easier than I was expecting. Neither of us had to struggle. I am
usually inclined to do these projects alone but this was one beast I was afraid
to tackle. Assembled, it ran over 500 lbs.

Now, if I were in your shoes and didn't want to take the top off the jointer to
make it more managable, I'd tip it over and balance it on one side so that the
lower wing doesn't take all the weight, then have my buddy slide the base under
it as best he can. Rocking it back and forth a couple of times ought to do the
job. I really doubt you'll move either of the tables out off adjustment.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in message
. ..

I don't trust the joists enough to use a block and tackle. It's one thing
to support a roof; it's a whole 'nother thing to support a heavy jointer
by one point.

Floor Joists don't hold up roofs they hold up floors. ;~) If the joists
are indeed floor joists and not ceiling joists they would probably be strong
enough to handle 350 lbs. I would not trust ceiling joists.
I am guessing that he is in a cellar or the first floor of a multi floor
building.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
Teamcasa wrote:
No such a dumb question.
If you do not have a chain hoist or a come-a-long or other mechanical
method
of lifting the machine, get help. Why risk injury or serious damage to
your
new machine? My attitude is, work smart - not hard.

I can certainly rig up a block and tackle from a floor joist above,
but I'm not sure where to lift it from. There's no obvious place to
attach a hoist to it. This is a closed-stand Jet 6" jointer.

Get two lifting straps -one under each outfeed table. Join at one point.
You will have to check the tables after lifting but they should be fine.
BTW, jointers on movable bases need to be checked more often anyway. They
flex and get banged around more than a fixed based machine.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.woodworking
alexy

"Teamcasa" wrote:

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
Teamcasa wrote:
No such a dumb question.
If you do not have a chain hoist or a come-a-long or other mechanical
method
of lifting the machine, get help. Why risk injury or serious damage to
your
new machine? My attitude is, work smart - not hard.

I can certainly rig up a block and tackle from a floor joist above,
but I'm not sure where to lift it from. There's no obvious place to
attach a hoist to it. This is a closed-stand Jet 6" jointer.

Get two lifting straps -one under each outfeed table.

Good advice -- if he's got one of them newfangled bidirectional
jointers! g

Join at one point.
You will have to check the tables after lifting but they should be fine.
BTW, jointers on movable bases need to be checked more often anyway. They
flex and get banged around more than a fixed based machine.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

snip
Teamcasa
Get two lifting straps -one under each outfeed table.

Alex
Good advice -- if he's got one of them newfangled bidirectional
jointers! g

LOL - I should have said - One under each table!

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 08:46:39 -0700, "Teamcasa" wrote:

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
This is probably a dumb question, but...

I've got a 6" jointer, which weighs about 200 lbs. I just got a
mobile base for it, and now that I've got the base assembled, I'm
stumped on how I'm supposed to get it onto the base.

I suppose I could just get a friend and we pick up each end of the
machine, but I'm afraid that picking it up by the table ends will
damage the ways or at least knock things out of alignment (if not the
table alignment, then maybe my vertibrae alignment). Is there a
simple way to do this that's not going to mess up the machine or my
back?

No such a dumb question.
If you do not have a chain hoist or a come-a-long or other mechanical method
of lifting the machine, get help. Why risk injury or serious damage to your
new machine? My attitude is, work smart - not hard.

Dave

Ok, you got me thinking on that one Dave...
How about sticking a truck inner tube or some kind of bladder under one end at a
time and filling the sucker?
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

"Roy Smith"
This is probably a dumb question, but...

I've got a 6" jointer, which weighs about 200 lbs. I just got a
mobile base for it, and now that I've got the base assembled, I'm
stumped on how I'm supposed to get it onto the base.

snip

Dave
No such a dumb question.
If you do not have a chain hoist or a come-a-long or other mechanical
method
of lifting the machine, get help. Why risk injury or serious damage to
your
new machine? My attitude is, work smart - not hard.

Mac
Ok, you got me thinking on that one Dave...
How about sticking a truck inner tube or some kind of bladder under one
end at a
time and filling the sucker?

I don't know Mac, I would think it would be difficult to control by
yourself. Imagine - hold machine - fill inner tube - balance - all the air
moves to one side quickly - oops!

I have a 500# Honda generator I load in and out of my truck with a chain
hoist anchored from my (oversized) garage door header. Believe me when I
say, let machines do the heavy lifting!

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

On Wed, 7 Jun 2006 08:35:38 -0700, "Teamcasa" wrote:

Ok, you got me thinking on that one Dave...
How about sticking a truck inner tube or some kind of bladder under one
end at a
time and filling the sucker?

I don't know Mac, I would think it would be difficult to control by
yourself. Imagine - hold machine - fill inner tube - balance - all the air
moves to one side quickly - oops!

I have a 500# Honda generator I load in and out of my truck with a chain
hoist anchored from my (oversized) garage door header. Believe me when I
say, let machines do the heavy lifting!

Dave

I was thinking of putting the bladder or whatever under one end at a time...

What I'd REALLY do is use my $5 harbor fright furniture mover... little bar and
plate on wheels that you stick under one end and step on.. lifts about 3 inches
so you can put the cute lil wheels under things...
I've moved my lathe with it a few times... and I can't even slide that sucker on
the floor by myself.. *g*

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.woodworking
JustDavid

"Roy Smith" wrote in message ...
This is probably a dumb question, but...

I've got a 6" jointer, which weighs about 200 lbs. I just got a
mobile base for it, and now that I've got the base assembled, I'm
stumped on how I'm supposed to get it onto the base.

I suppose I could just get a friend and we pick up each end of the
machine, but I'm afraid that picking it up by the table ends will
damage the ways or at least knock things out of alignment (if not the
table alignment, then maybe my vertibrae alignment). Is there a
simple way to do this that's not going to mess up the machine or my
back?

Tip it up and use TWO 12" pipes to roll it into position. An extra pair of hands is almost essential.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen

Roy Smith wrote:
This is probably a dumb question, but...

I've got a 6" jointer, which weighs about 200 lbs. I just got a
mobile base for it, and now that I've got the base assembled, I'm
stumped on how I'm supposed to get it onto the base.

Can you and a friend just pick it up by the existing base? That way you
won't risk misalignment of the beds.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking
Owen Lawrence

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
This is probably a dumb question, but...

I've got a 6" jointer, which weighs about 200 lbs. I just got a
mobile base for it, and now that I've got the base assembled, I'm
stumped on how I'm supposed to get it onto the base.

I suppose I could just get a friend and we pick up each end of the
machine, but I'm afraid that picking it up by the table ends will
damage the ways or at least knock things out of alignment (if not the
table alignment, then maybe my vertibrae alignment). Is there a
simple way to do this that's not going to mess up the machine or my
back?

I got a 6" jointer and asked a friend to help out. He couldn't come right
away and I couldn't wait so I thought I'd give it a go on my own. It took
almost no time to get it up on the base and I was none the worse for wear.

I think the shipping weight of my jointer was in the neighbourhood of
250lbs. But the motor is in the base and I hadn't attached the fence
assembly yet. So I think the bed (all of the heavy lifting) must have been
considerably less than that. For me the hardest part was getting the
plastic bag off it without it sliding off the base before I could bolt it.
(I didn't want anti-rust grease all over my clothes--and remember to slip
the drive belt on before you bolt it! (DAMHIKT)) No alignment problems that
I could make out, either.

I'm not necessarily recommending you do what I did, but I think most people
are bigger and stronger than I am, so you might just try hefting it a bit
and use your own best judgement.

- Owen -

Posted to rec.woodworking
Owen Lawrence

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
This is probably a dumb question, but...

I've got a 6" jointer, which weighs about 200 lbs. I just got a
mobile base for it, and now that I've got the base assembled, I'm
stumped on how I'm supposed to get it onto the base.

I suppose I could just get a friend and we pick up each end of the
machine, but I'm afraid that picking it up by the table ends will
damage the ways or at least knock things out of alignment (if not the
table alignment, then maybe my vertibrae alignment). Is there a
simple way to do this that's not going to mess up the machine or my
back?

Oops! Please ignore my other post. I didn't see the "mobile" part of
"mobile base" for some reason. I just tilted my jointer onto my mobile base
and lifted, grunted, slid, until it was in position. No biggie.

- Owen -

More on IC Self-Reproducing Machine Tools [email protected] Metalworking 21 June 19th 14 09:14 AM
sewing machinery sedatkzyk UK diy 0 March 21st 06 12:54 PM
sewing machinery sedatkzyk UK diy 0 March 21st 06 12:53 PM
Novice seeks any tips for installing rubber wall base Dolchas Home Repair 2 July 4th 04 03:22 PM