Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.antiques,rec.woodworking
Dan-the-K

Default Help with sticky surfaces

For practice, I'm finishing a piece of furniture that isn't too
important. It is a fish tank stand.

I did fine with the top surface, fixing it up and using MinWax
pre-stain Wood conditioner, red oak Wood Finish Stain and Fast Drying
Polyurethane. That's part 1.

I'm now working on the bottom. This is part 2. No fixing up because
its the bottom; I went straight to 2 layers of Wood Finish Stain, sand,
and then I applied 1 layer of Polyurethane. The next step was to sand
it a little with 340 grade paper. I did that yesterday. After that
sanding, all the surfaces I had worked on are sticky and I don't know
what to do.

I think the stickiness is due to getting mineral spirits on the wood.
I did that twice. First, I lubricated the sandpaper with mineral
spirits. Second, I spilled some paint thinner on my tack cloth. When
I used the tack cloth, it left a wet surface behind.

Is tacky the same as sticky?

Any ideas on what to do? My game plan is to wait. Its still sticky, a
day later.

TIA,

Dan

TopCote - how is the metal surface supposed to be after treatment? mine is slightly sticky Daniel H Woodworking 5 September 7th 05 02:39 PM
Help - Sticky Floor single mum UK diy 9 August 29th 05 11:54 PM
Does polishing one or both surfaces reduce metal to metal friction? SA Development Metalworking 5 June 7th 05 01:19 AM
double sided sticky pads wig UK diy 7 June 2nd 05 11:37 AM