Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve B

Default Outhouse ideas

"Morris Dovey" wrote

An inexpensive pottery water pitcher and basin, a bar of soap, and a
reasonably clean towel add up to Civilized Luxury in the context of an
outhouse.

And the old archaic for pitcher is ewer.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey

Steve B (in nCMfg.102325$iU2.37498@fed1read01) said:

| "Morris Dovey" wrote
|
|| An inexpensive pottery water pitcher and basin, a bar of soap, and
|| a reasonably clean towel add up to Civilized Luxury in the context
|| of an outhouse.
|| It'd probably make more sense to worry out how to keep towel and
|| soap both dry and convenient than to be fussy about the wood...
|
| We have a gravity fed water system from a spring. It will be easy
| to tap into it and make a sylvan hygiene station. I wasn't
| worrying a lot about the wood. I just like doing it once and doing
| it right, rather than the trial and error method.

Really nice to have that kind of water supply! "Right" has a lot to do
with why you have the cabin and with your vision of your/its future...

As with building a house, there just isn't any "doing it once and
doing it right". There will always be something needing
fixing/maintaining. If whatever you build pleases you, then the
maintenance becomes a pleasurable activity - and if the place doesn't
please you, then the maintainance becomes burdensome.

Not much help, am I? :-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking
Unquestionably Confused

Not really a suggestion for accessorizing a privy, but check out the
outhouse design I posted at a.p.b.w.

Call it truth in advertising?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve B

"Morris Dovey" wrote

As with building a house, there just isn't any "doing it once and
doing it right".

Well, I think that's only partially true. What about the foundation? The
plumbing? The electrical? If it's not right, what's the alternative?

Nothing lasts forever, but selecting the proper tools, materials and
techniques and TRYING to just do it once beats doing it more than once.
Especially when the first version of the job has to be removed, and the
second version tried.

I was a welder by trade. In that craft, a lot of times you get only one
chance to do it right, or you will mess it up. When doing welds that
require x ray testing, you get ONLY one try, and it has to be right, or you
have to cut the whole thing out and do it over. Sometimes that means the
difference of days of work. And lots of money.

I have always suggested to people "do it once, do it right" as a caveat to
give it your best the first time instead of just putting a band aid on a
problem, as so many people tend to do. Or just doing a half fast job.

Just MHO, YMMV.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking
Prometheus

On Tue, 30 May 2006 08:43:17 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

I need to build an outhouse at my cabin for winter use when the water is
shut off.

I want to put up some kooky things, and make it a real interesting outhouse.
I have thought of things like TV antenna, satellite dish, gun rack, and many
things.

What joke items would you put on it?

Make a two-seater, then fill one of them in with a pair of legs
sticking out. Put a motion sensor on them so they give a couple of
kicks when the door opens.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey

"Steve B" wrote in message

| "Morris Dovey" wrote
|
| As with building a house, there just isn't any "doing it once and
| doing it right".
|
| Well, I think that's only partially true. What about the
foundation? The
| plumbing? The electrical? If it's not right, what's the
alternative?

I think I understand where you're coming from - and I think we're
talking crosswise. I agree with you on "right" and "wrong". I also
think that even when something is done "right", there is almost always
a way to do it "better".

In some cases there is only one opportunity to get something right;
and in others there it's possible to do a best possible first job and
return as often as might be desired to make improvements.

| Nothing lasts forever, but selecting the proper tools, materials and
| techniques and TRYING to just do it once beats doing it more than
once.
| Especially when the first version of the job has to be removed, and
the
| second version tried.

True. I've discovered that darned near everytime I do something new, I
discover later (sometimes not much later, and sometimes even before
I'm done) some still better way it could be done. It doesn't seem to
matter whether I'm planting a garden, building a house, writing
software, or building a machine.

| I was a welder by trade. In that craft, a lot of times you get only
one
| chance to do it right, or you will mess it up. When doing welds
that
| require x ray testing, you get ONLY one try, and it has to be right,
or you
| have to cut the whole thing out and do it over. Sometimes that
means the
| difference of days of work. And lots of money.

I'm with you. Most of my career involved production of "mission
critical" software where anything less than absolute reliability meant
large financial damage or accidental deaths of innocent people. I
really do understand "getting it right" - but in the process of
getting it right, I frequently discovered better and more reliable
ways to do those same jobs - and nearly always realized better ways
still after the project had been completed and the customer
well-satisfied.

| I have always suggested to people "do it once, do it right" as a
caveat to
| give it your best the first time instead of just putting a band aid
on a
| problem, as so many people tend to do. Or just doing a half fast
job.

A cabin, to me, is recreational living space. It's not a production
job - it's more like a piece of artwork in progress. To me, part of
the enjoyment would be continuing enhancement and improvement on a
schedule (or none) of my choosing. I think I'd even try to design
stuff so that it'd be easy to modify/improve...

| Just MHO, YMMV.

I certainly respect your work ethic and your desire to get it right
the first time. I think I'd approach a cabin a bit differently - but
this variety of perspective is what makes people interesting. I wish
you much satisfaction and enjoyment.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey

Unquestionably Confused (in
) said:

| Not really a suggestion for accessorizing a privy, but check out the
| outhouse design I posted at a.p.b.w.
|
| Call it truth in advertising?

Sometimes a picture is worth more than any number of words! :-D

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve B

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message

I certainly respect your work ethic and your desire to get it right
the first time.

A friend of mine is a veterinarian. He told me a quote they told him at vet
school.

"Better is the enemy of good."

On your first try, try to do it good. Then don't mess with it, because most
likely, you will goof it up trying to make it better.

Stand back. Take a look. Think about it. Get your stuff ready. Have a
plan. Then give it a good shot. Doesn't even have to be your best shot.

I just hate doing things more than once, especially when I'm listening to
that little voice, "If you'd done it right the first time ................"

Thanks for the input.

Everyone tries to get it plumb and square, then reality takes over.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve B

) said:

| Not really a suggestion for accessorizing a privy, but check out the
| outhouse design I posted at a.p.b.w.
|
| Call it truth in advertising?

Sometimes a picture is worth more than any number of words! :-D

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto

I'm new here. apbw?

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking
Roger Haar

Hi,

If you are in cold country, and paln to use the
outhouse in the winter, consider making a seat
cushion (with a hole) out of styrofoam. It warms
instantly to the touch of one's usually protected
backside. A small radiant heater is also nice. I
used a little butane camping thing.

My only other suggestion to to make it two
stories, but that can be messy for those using the
lower level.

Enjoy
Roger

) said:

| Not really a suggestion for accessorizing a privy, but check out the
| outhouse design I posted at a.p.b.w.
|
| Call it truth in advertising?

Sometimes a picture is worth more than any number of words! :-D

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto

Posted to rec.woodworking
jo4hn

Steve B wrote:
[snip]

I'm new here. apbw?

Steve

alt.pictures.binaries.woodworking

j4
Posted to rec.woodworking
klaatu

On Thu, 1 Jun 2006 16:13:34 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

Would it be best to use cedar or redwood for the outside? Another wood?

STeve

This site has a bunch of outhouse pics.
http://prairieskeleton.tripod.com/index.html

Posted to rec.woodworking
klaatu

wrote:

Would it be best to use cedar or redwood for the outside? Another wood?

STeve

Also, If you look at books - outhouse on Amazon you will find more
than you want to know about them. I have wanted to build a shed
that looked like an outhouse. Fake vent pipe and all.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CC

Search google for "incinerator toilet" and put it inside in it's own little
area or in the bathroom along with the regular toilet
They can use either electric, gas, or propane and don't require water.
I have had to use outhouses in back country mountainous rural area's while
visiting relatives at different times of the year.
To me, they are one of the most miserable experiences of rural life and
plain out terrible in the dead of winter,
when raining, and not to forget middle of the night. They attract insects,
especially spiders, snakes like them,
and they stink, especially in the summer. We had outhouses in Vietnam with
1/2 barrels of kerosene under the seat that
had to be burnt off every couple days. I think they were even worse because
of the smell of burning crap and kerosene.
On the light side of this, I remember one farmer that had his wallpapered on
the inside.
You can also check through the pictures of outhouses from the Official Tour
of American Outhouses
including the two story outhouse.
http://www.jldr.com/ohindex.shtml

CC

"Steve B" wrote in message
I need to build an outhouse at my cabin for winter use when the water is
shut off.

I want to put up some kooky things, and make it a real interesting
outhouse. I have thought of things like TV antenna, satellite dish, gun
rack, and many things.

What joke items would you put on it?

What practical useful things would you put in?

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robert Bonomi

) said:

| Not really a suggestion for accessorizing a privy, but check out the
| outhouse design I posted at a.p.b.w.
|
| Call it truth in advertising?

Sometimes a picture is worth more than any number of words! :-D

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto

I'm new here. apbw?

That's how the Reverend Dr. Spooner (and friends) abbreviate the name of the
newsgroup "alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking". *grin*

Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey

Steve B (in UKYfg.102365$iU2.27881@fed1read01) said:

| "Morris Dovey" wrote in message

|| I certainly respect your work ethic and your desire to get it right
|| the first time.
|
| A friend of mine is a veterinarian. He told me a quote they told
| him at vet school.
|
| "Better is the enemy of good."
|
| On your first try, try to do it good. Then don't mess with it,
| because most likely, you will goof it up trying to make it better.

Hmmm. I assume your internet connection uses an Intel 4004 processor
equipped with a paper tape reader/punch, a 128KB flexible disc and
(maybe) a 7MB 2311 drive. How on earth did you manage a baudot current
loop connection to the web? - Or perhaps you like the many times
improved descendants more...

| Stand back. Take a look. Think about it. Get your stuff ready.
| Have a plan. Then give it a good shot. Doesn't even have to be
| your best shot.

I do that - then get to work again. Enjoy the results!

| I just hate doing things more than once, especially when I'm
| listening to that little voice, "If you'd done it right the first
| time ................"

Yeah, me too. The problem is that there doesn't seem to be a permanent
"good enough" for anything.

| Thanks for the input.
|
| Everyone tries to get it plumb and square, then reality takes over.

True - tho I just built a new CNC router that'll get you within
0.00023" (that's twenty-three hundred-thousandths of an inch) of true.
If you need better (for an outhouse?) I'm willing to go back and try
again, even though it'd be another do-over. ;-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tanus

Lee Michaels wrote:
"Steve B" wrote

I need to build an outhouse at my cabin for winter use when the water is
shut off.

I want to put up some kooky things, and make it a real interesting
outhouse. I have thought of things like TV antenna, satellite dish, gun
rack, and many things.

What joke items would you put on it?

Putting a flush handle on the wall beside one of the holes is bound to
get some questions. If you offset it from the wall enough, you can add
the in-bowl linkage attached to a chain that either goes through the
seat beside the hole, or down the through the floor.

If you really want to get fancy, you can add a switch to it that's
connected to a small tape player that plays the sound of whoooooosh each
time it's pulled.

I'm a bathroom reader. All my FWW and Lee Valley books are in there. If
the cabin has electricity, a small elect lamp is a good idea. Or some
sort of candle/oil lamp that's safe enough to use in a wood structure
(if there is such a thing). As well, tons of reading material. If you're
not as far north as I am, you can still be almost warm after 10 minutes
out there, and a few books will help.

Tanus

--
This is not really a sig.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Prometheus

On Sat, 3 Jun 2006 16:09:14 -0500, "Morris Dovey"
wrote:

True - tho I just built a new CNC router that'll get you within
0.00023" (that's twenty-three hundred-thousandths of an inch) of true.
If you need better (for an outhouse?) I'm willing to go back and try
again, even though it'd be another do-over. ;-)

All right, Morris, I'm suitably impressed... but what kind of wood are
you using that can actually hold that kind of split-atom tolerance?
I've seen metal machined to those kind of specs, but it seems
impossible to do it with wood.

Even with MDF, the fibers are bigger than that, aren't they?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Prometheus

On Sun, 4 Jun 2006 08:58:48 -0500, "Morris Dovey"
wrote:

This machine allows me to do both of these things; and truthfully, I
don't have any tools in my shop that'll give me that kind of
measurement accuracy - but I can _feel_ it in the fit of the joints.
:-)

Aha! I was wondering what you were using to check that!

Sounds like a nice machine.

Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke

Roy Smith wrote:

In article nKZeg.98039$iU2.96066@fed1read01,
"Steve B" wrote:

I need to build an outhouse at my cabin for winter use when the water is
shut off.

I want to put up some kooky things, and make it a real interesting
outhouse. I have thought of things like TV antenna, satellite dish, gun
rack, and many things.

What joke items would you put on it?

What practical useful things would you put in?

Magazine rack, which depending on the TP situation, could be a very
practical item.

Condom dispenser. Or, if you prefer, feminine hygiene product dispenser.
Or both, if it's a unisex outhouse.

While you're about it, why not a diaper changing station? And maybe a
hot-air hand dryer (which, carefully situated, could also provide some much
needed heat in critical locations).

Sandpaper dispenser, for taking care of the occasional splinter.

I remember one time back in Boy Scout summer camp, we went on a three-day
canoe trip and spent one night on some island somewhere that had a
*locked*
outhouse. Why somebody would lock an outhouse is beyond me. Were they
afraid something would get stolen??? Rather than break the lock off, we
just unscrewed the hinges on the other side of the door :-)

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke

Tanus wrote:

Lee Michaels wrote:
[...]

Well, an Aladdin with a smoke bell should do fine, give out a good dela of
light, and make a not insignificant amount of heat. Remember, oil lamps
and candles were all that they _had_ for most of history. When I googled
"Aladdin oil lamp", http://www.oillampman.com/start.html was the second
hit--he's got lamps for just about any occasion.

As well, tons of reading material. If you're
not as far north as I am, you can still be almost warm after 10 minutes
out there, and a few books will help.

Tanus

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Posted to rec.woodworking
Brent Beal

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Roy Smith wrote:

You could find an old tank and mount it above the seat with a "dummy" pipe
to the seat and the pullchain hanging down.

How about a very small corn crib....for all of those left over cobs.....aint
nutin like recyclyn.

Posted to rec.woodworking
New Wave Dave

"Steve B" wrote:

I need to build an outhouse at my cabin for winter use when the water
is
shut off.

I want to put up some kooky things, and make it a real interesting
outhouse. I have thought of things like TV antenna, satellite dish,
gun
rack, and many things.

What joke items would you put on it?

What practical useful things would you put in?

I was in a Tractor Supply [for the first time] today and there on
their book/magazine rack was a thin, hardcover book "Outhouses" by a
Holly Bollinger. Mostly pictures but some real unusual styles. FWIW.
--
"New Wave" Dave In Houston