Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Wood movement question

I'm building a cabinet. The top is solid white oak, 13 inches wide, 53
inches long, 3/4 inches thick. I'm not concerned about wood movement
of the cabinet itself, because it's a panel-type construction. But for
a top this size, is wood movement likely to be an issue? Can I simply
glue the top on, or do I need to allow for expansion and contraction in
the 13" direction?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

wrote in message

I'm building a cabinet. The top is solid white oak, 13 inches wide, 53
inches long, 3/4 inches thick. I'm not concerned about wood movement
of the cabinet itself, because it's a panel-type construction. But for
a top this size, is wood movement likely to be an issue? Can I simply
glue the top on, or do I need to allow for expansion and contraction in
the 13" direction?

Although white oak is relatively stable across its width, it does move and
it most definitely is NOT a good idea to glue the top on.

Using cleats, attached to the sides of the casework, with screw holes
slotted in the direction of movement to hold the top on, is a fairly simple,
straightforward solution, among others.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"Swingman" wrote in message

wrote in message

I'm building a cabinet. The top is solid white oak, 13 inches wide, 53
inches long, 3/4 inches thick. I'm not concerned about wood movement
of the cabinet itself, because it's a panel-type construction. But for
a top this size, is wood movement likely to be an issue? Can I simply
glue the top on, or do I need to allow for expansion and contraction in
the 13" direction?

Although white oak is relatively stable across its width, it does move and
it most definitely is NOT a good idea to glue the top on.

Using cleats, attached to the sides of the casework, with screw holes
slotted in the direction of movement to hold the top on, is a fairly
simple,
straightforward solution, among others.

Or Z clips, or any number of commercial table-top fasteners. Remember where
you are in fitting the clips. If you're in the wet season, build with room
to contract. Dry, the opposite.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm building a cabinet. The top is solid white oak, 13 inches wide, 53
inches long, 3/4 inches thick. I'm not concerned about wood movement
of the cabinet itself, because it's a panel-type construction. But for
a top this size, is wood movement likely to be an issue? Can I simply
glue the top on, or do I need to allow for expansion and contraction in
the 13" direction?

I don't understand, if you are not concerned about movement in the cabinet,
then the top is not part of the cabinet?

Cabinets usually have the sides with vertical grain, so it is the same as
the top. In that case you can just glue. If your sides have horizontal
grain, you would be pressing your luck to ignore movement.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Toller" wrote in message

I don't understand, if you are not concerned about movement in the

cabinet,
then the top is not part of the cabinet?

Cabinets usually have the sides with vertical grain, so it is the same as
the top. In that case you can just glue. If your sides have horizontal
grain, you would be pressing your luck to ignore movement.

Unless I totally misunderstood what the OP was trying to describe, think
about what was said about the casework being "panel-type
construction"(implication: panel sides/back in frame, probably with doors in
face frame front).

Therefore carcass movement has most probably already been addressed with the
above.

I've been known to be wrong more than a time or two, however ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
"Toller" wrote in message

I don't understand, if you are not concerned about movement in the

cabinet,
then the top is not part of the cabinet?

Cabinets usually have the sides with vertical grain, so it is the same as
the top. In that case you can just glue. If your sides have horizontal
grain, you would be pressing your luck to ignore movement.

Unless I totally misunderstood what the OP was trying to describe, think
about what was said about the casework being "panel-type
construction"(implication: panel sides/back in frame, probably with doors in
face frame front).

Meaning the sides are frame and panel.

Therefore carcass movement has most probably already been addressed with the
above.

It is possible, though uncommon to make a cabinet top also
frame and panel. I recall reading an article in one of the woowdorking
magazines about a particular furniture maker who did that with
dressers and such.

Or, if it not going to show, the top can be made of plywood.

Otherwise the cleat or clip solution will work too.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

wrote in message
oups.com...

Swingman wrote:
"Toller" wrote in message

I don't understand, if you are not concerned about movement in the

cabinet,
then the top is not part of the cabinet?

Cabinets usually have the sides with vertical grain, so it is the same
as
the top. In that case you can just glue. If your sides have
horizontal
grain, you would be pressing your luck to ignore movement.

Unless I totally misunderstood what the OP was trying to describe, think
about what was said about the casework being "panel-type
construction"(implication: panel sides/back in frame, probably with doors
in
face frame front).

Meaning the sides are frame and panel.

Okay, I get it now. Wish I had something clever to say now...

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article .com,
wrote:
I'm building a cabinet. The top is solid white oak, 13 inches wide, 53
inches long, 3/4 inches thick. I'm not concerned about wood movement
of the cabinet itself, because it's a panel-type construction. But for
a top this size, is wood movement likely to be an issue? Can I simply
glue the top on, or do I need to allow for expansion and contraction in
the 13" direction?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

If the top is joined cross-grained along it's full width best to use
some type of fastener or joinery that will allow movement. IIRC, oak
can expand & contract more than 1/8" per foot with normal humidity swings.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Posted to rec.woodworking
Unquestionably Confused

Toller wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Swingman wrote:
"Toller" wrote in message

[snip]
face frame front).

Meaning the sides are frame and panel.

Okay, I get it now. Wish I had something clever to say now...

LOL! A simple "Aw ****! I missed that" should work. I use it all the
timeg

Posted to rec.woodworking
charlie b

If the grain "wraps" around the corners (ie- runs in
the same direction") the top and sides (and bottom)
should move together. You could biscuit them together
(into the side grain of the sides, end grain of the top
and bottom or dove tail them, pins on the top and bottom,
tails on the ends of the sides.

charlie b

Posted to rec.woodworking

OP checking in again. Sorry for any confusion. As Swingman correctly
deduced, the sides are frame-and-panel, and the front is a frame with
doors. So wood movement shouldn't be an issue for the main body of the
cabinet. I guess the reason I posted the question was the fact that
this is a relatively narrow top, and I wasn't sure if there would be
enough potential movement over 13" to make it worth worrying about.
The consensus is that there is. It will be easy to attach the top
using cleats or clips, as suggested. Thanks for the advice, everyone!