Posted to rec.woodworking
Jon

Default Band Saw will not cut striaght!!

On Wed, 17 May 2006 21:18:17 -0400, "JCL Studios"
wrote:

Hello,

I've just been given a very old band saw and it will not cut straight. The
band saw is an old Black & Decker Drill Powered Band Saw that has been
converted to an electric motor. I've disassembled everything and cleaned it
all up. It cuts really well, but will not cut straight lines and always cuts
to the left. If anyone has some suggestions on what I can do to correct
this, I'm willing to almost try anything.

Thanks in advance to all who reply.

Dull Blade
Blade tension not correct
Blade too narrow for what you're cutting
Blade Guide too high
Feed too fast

Probably more but thats all I can think of quickly. Try a piece of
very light and soft stock (i.e., 1/4" pine) and see if it still
happens. If not work on above. If so, give it back.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Dan

Jon wrote in
:

On Wed, 17 May 2006 21:18:17 -0400, "JCL Studios"
wrote:

Hello;

If you are using the fence that came with the saw, try not using it.
Instead, use a straight piece of wood as the fence. Position it so
that it compensates for the blade pull.

Another thing; it is possible that the teeth have lost their set, due
to a deterioration of the drive wheel tire. It wouldn't take long for
a new blade to become worn just like the old blade. That happened to
me on an old Craftsman band saw I used to have. Put a new tire on it
and cured the problem.

Good luck and make more sawdust!

Woodworkerdan
Dan Harriman