Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim W

Default Band Saw will not cut striaght!!

"JCL Studios" wrote in message
.. .
Hello,

I've just been given a very old band saw and it will not cut straight. The
band saw is an old Black & Decker Drill Powered Band Saw that has been
converted to an electric motor. I've disassembled everything and cleaned

it
all up. It cuts really well, but will not cut straight lines and always

cuts
to the left. If anyone has some suggestions on what I can do to correct
this, I'm willing to almost try anything.

Do small band saws ever cut straight?

Tim W

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill B

Tim W wrote:
"JCL Studios" wrote in message
.. .
Hello,

I've just been given a very old band saw and it will not cut straight. The
band saw is an old Black & Decker Drill Powered Band Saw that has been
converted to an electric motor. I've disassembled everything and cleaned

it
all up. It cuts really well, but will not cut straight lines and always

cuts
to the left. If anyone has some suggestions on what I can do to correct
this, I'm willing to almost try anything.

Do small band saws ever cut straight?

Tim W

Do big band saws ever cut straight?

My 14" requires a fair cant to the wood to go through "straight". I
suspect it is the same reason scroll saw blades don't cut "straight",
the blades are stamped and have a burr on one side.

I have notice a Timberwolf cuts much "straighter" than an Olson.

--
Bill Berglin

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid
in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly
proclaiming, 'WOW! What A RIDE!!" ... Unknown
Posted to rec.woodworking

Tim W wrote:
"JCL Studios" wrote in message
.. .
Hello,

I've just been given a very old band saw and it will not cut straight. The
band saw is an old Black & Decker Drill Powered Band Saw that has been
converted to an electric motor. I've disassembled everything and cleaned

it
all up. It cuts really well, but will not cut straight lines and always

cuts
to the left. If anyone has some suggestions on what I can do to correct
this, I'm willing to almost try anything.

Do small band saws ever cut straight?

Yes.

However they seldom cut parallel to the miter slot.

You can take a long thin piece of wood and scribe a line
down the middle of it. Then rip that on the line on the band
saw, slowly adjusting the angle until you are pushing straight
into the blade. Stop the saw and mark the spaces on the
edges of the table where the bord crosses.

When you set your fence, set it parallel to that line.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking
BuilderBob46

Tim W wrote:
"JCL Studios" wrote in message
.. .
Hello,

I've just been given a very old band saw and it will not cut straight. The
band saw is an old Black & Decker Drill Powered Band Saw that has been
converted to an electric motor. I've disassembled everything and cleaned

it
all up. It cuts really well, but will not cut straight lines and always

cuts
to the left. If anyone has some suggestions on what I can do to correct
this, I'm willing to almost try anything.

Do small band saws ever cut straight?

Tim W

there's a good article from David Marks Woodworks on diynetwork.com on
how to align your fence to match the runout from your bandsaw blade. I
didn't realize this problem was so prevalent till I read the article.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen

BuilderBob46 wrote:

there's a good article from David Marks Woodworks on diynetwork.com on
how to align your fence to match the runout from your bandsaw blade. I
didn't realize this problem was so prevalent till I read the article.

Because the tires are crowned, you can also adjust the tracking slightly
to counteract the drift tendency. One of the local instructors uses
this technique.

Chris

Posted to rec.woodworking
eclipsme

BuilderBob46 wrote:
Tim W wrote:
"JCL Studios" wrote in message
.. .
Hello,

I've just been given a very old band saw and it will not cut straight. The
band saw is an old Black & Decker Drill Powered Band Saw that has been
converted to an electric motor. I've disassembled everything and cleaned

it
all up. It cuts really well, but will not cut straight lines and always

cuts
to the left. If anyone has some suggestions on what I can do to correct
this, I'm willing to almost try anything.

Do small band saws ever cut straight?

Tim W

there's a good article from David Marks Woodworks on diynetwork.com on
how to align your fence to match the runout from your bandsaw blade. I
didn't realize this problem was so prevalent till I read the article.

They don't make it easy to find articles. Do you have an address for it?

Thanks,
Harvey
Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

On 2006-05-18, Bill B ranted thusly:
Tim W wrote:
"JCL Studios" wrote in message
.. .

I've just been given a very old band saw and it will not cut straight. The

Do small band saws ever cut straight?

Do big band saws ever cut straight?

My 14" requires a fair cant to the wood to go through "straight". I
suspect it is the same reason scroll saw blades don't cut "straight",
the blades are stamped and have a burr on one side.

I have notice a Timberwolf cuts much "straighter" than an Olson.

FWIW, yes if you think 14" (grizzly G0555) is big and count mine.

I put a riser block on it, did all those things recommended to
tune it (a very comprehensive site on the web the URL to which
I have lost, and The Bandsaw Book outlined the principals) and
on the first cut was resawing an 8" hardwood board against the
(unadjusted!) fence. Using a Timberwolf blade.

Now if I could just remember that website!

er
--
email not valid

Posted to rec.woodworking
JCL Studios

Thanks for all the helpfull information guys!!

If I get to the websites, I'll post some links for you all

Pete