Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Default Knotty pine - too many knots!!

Hello all;

We've just installed an entire wall of kitchen cabinets in knotty pine
(couldn't find any other type of pine, and hardwood prices are out of
this world).

When you look at it from the corner of your eye, it feels like the wall
is covered with a giant leopard skin. NOT the look we were after.

Is there a way to mask SOME of the knots before we varnish the whole
thing in natural or honey-pine finish?

Thanks.

LD

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
RayV

You're knot being very understanding. LD did knot want to hear that
there was knot a thing that could be done. Why could you knot have
suggested a knot removing tool?
http://www.fine-tools.com/G312215.htm
Its knot that LD did knot want the pine to be knotty, LD just did knot
want it to be as knotty as it is. If you looked at things from the
corner of your eye as LD does you would knot have such a hard time
seeing things as they really are and knot how your percieve them.

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
gw

Are you saying that "Knotty-but-Knot-too-Knotty" Pine should have been
spec'd for the cabinets, instead of the regular "Chock-Full-o-Knots"
variety? Or would "Semi-Clear-Yet-Knot-Too-Expensive" Pine have been a
better choice??

You could always dutchman in some clear pine. 'Twould look worse, but it
would eliminate the knots.

"RayV" wrote in message
oups.com...
You're knot being very understanding. LD did knot want to hear that
there was knot a thing that could be done. Why could you knot have
suggested a knot removing tool?
http://www.fine-tools.com/G312215.htm
Its knot that LD did knot want the pine to be knotty, LD just did knot
want it to be as knotty as it is. If you looked at things from the
corner of your eye as LD does you would knot have such a hard time
seeing things as they really are and knot how your percieve them.

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Leon

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello all;

We've just installed an entire wall of kitchen cabinets in knotty pine
(couldn't find any other type of pine, and hardwood prices are out of
this world).

When you look at it from the corner of your eye, it feels like the wall
is covered with a giant leopard skin. NOT the look we were after.

Is there a way to mask SOME of the knots before we varnish the whole
thing in natural or honey-pine finish?

Thanks.

LD

You are basically stuck with what you have short of painting or staining a
dark color. Stop looking from the corner of your eye.

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
RayV

I would've ordered "Kinda-Knotty" or "Knot a lot of Knots", but that's
knot what everybody likes.

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
marson

i agree, there is no way to remove knots that won't look worse than the
knots themselves. i suggest polyurethane, then live with it for 6
months. sometimes things that bother you at first will be soon
forgotten. if it still bugs you, paint them or whatever.

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Edwin Pawlowski

"coustanis" wrote in message

That's why they call it KNOTTY pine.
WTF did you use knotty pine for if it's knot what you wanted.

Actually, the number and size of knots differs in the wood often found today
than it was 50 years ago on older growth trees.

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Goedjn

On 19 May 2006 07:10:12 -0700, "Bob S." wrote:

wrote:
Hello all;

We've just installed an entire wall of kitchen cabinets in knotty pine
(couldn't find any other type of pine, and hardwood prices are out of
this world).

When you look at it from the corner of your eye, it feels like the wall
is covered with a giant leopard skin. NOT the look we were after.

Is there a way to mask SOME of the knots before we varnish the whole
thing in natural or honey-pine finish?

Thanks.

LD

No. Your only alternative now is to paint them. If you do, BE SURE
you use a stain killer primer (like Kilz) first or the knots will bleed
through the paint.

Well, you COULD rout out the knots, and put in dutchman patches.
That would be less obtrusive than the knots. But I agree that
a coat of shellac and then paint is probably the best bet.
Although I'm not sure how knotty pine will stand up to the
humidity cycles in a kitchen. You may end up having to
patch the knots over the years as they pop out, anyway.

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Mac Cool

BobS:
practice the blending. You're only staining the knot - not the
surrounding wood so you'll be trying to make it lighter looking

Good idea, if the knots will take any stain. There are people who paint
fake woodgrain, why not paint out knots.

What about bleaching the knots? He could try a thinned down bleach or
peroxide on just the knots. Test it on scrap first.

I know someone who has a knotty (not naughty) cedar wall and it looks
great. The OP might want to give it a few weeks and see if he grows to
like the knots.
--
Mac Cool
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Mike Berger

Laminate veneer that you like better over the cabinets.

Bob S. wrote:

No. Your only alternative now is to paint them. If you do, BE SURE
you use a stain killer primer (like Kilz) first or the knots will bleed
through the paint.

Bob

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Robert Bonomi

In article .com,
RayV wrote:
You're knot being very understanding. LD did knot want to hear that
there was knot a thing that could be done. Why could you knot have
suggested a knot removing tool?
http://www.fine-tools.com/G312215.htm
Its knot that LD did knot want the pine to be knotty, LD just did knot
want it to be as knotty as it is. If you looked at things from the
corner of your eye as LD does you would knot have such a hard time
seeing things as they really are and knot how your percieve them.

naughty knotty, naught not?

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Enoch Root

On 2006-05-19, Stubby ranted thusly:
coustanis wrote:

That's why they call it KNOTTY pine.
WTF did you use knotty pine for if it's knot what you wanted.
I understand not being able to readily find other material locally
but you could have oredred it from SOMEWHERE.
Didn't you look at it before it was installed?

How does your comment help? Does it make you fell superior?

I would bet that falling upwards backwards in time is knot in his skillset.

er
--
email not valid

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Enoch Root

On 2006-05-19, Leon ranted thusly:
wrote in message
ups.com...

We've just installed an entire wall of kitchen cabinets in knotty pine
(couldn't find any other type of pine, and hardwood prices are out of
this world).

You are basically stuck with what you have short of painting or staining a
dark color. Stop looking from the corner of your eye.

Either stop looking out of the corner of your eye, or adapt the decor to
fit.

I think this calls for some 4-6ft. blackwood fertility statues on either
side of the dining table. And a couple congas.

er
--
email not valid

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
No

wrote:
Hello all;

We've just installed an entire wall of kitchen cabinets in knotty pine
(couldn't find any other type of pine, and hardwood prices are out of
this world).

When you look at it from the corner of your eye, it feels like the wall
is covered with a giant leopard skin. NOT the look we were after.

Is there a way to mask SOME of the knots before we varnish the whole
thing in natural or honey-pine finish?

Thanks.

LD

Here is a suggestion! One that goes to your question, does not involve
starting over, cutting out the knots, nots or gnots or painting.

You could wash a glaze or a thinned out paint over them. This look is in
right now. The kilz thinned may actually do it. You could even tint it a
bit. Wash down the cabinets with the glaze, waterd down paint or thinned
kilz. Not too much or you will mask the wood grain. Remember, you can
easily add more glaze, removing will be a bitch. Try some scraps first
to find what you like. Once done varnish over the glaze and you are done.

Here is a link to a company that puts different finishes on knotty pine
cabinets. They use glaze or stain or both with probably a lacquer top
coat.
http://www.maplecraftusa.com/HTML2005/STAINpine.html

The one in the link above I was thinking about before I found the link
is what they called finish natural, glaze white.

good luck and post some before and after pictures on a website.

Posted to rec.woodworking
BobS

"Bob S." wrote in message
oups.com...

LD

No. Your only alternative now is to paint them. If you do, BE SURE
you use a stain killer primer (like Kilz) first or the knots will bleed
through the paint.

Bob

I posted earlier but for whatever reason it didn't make it thru. I noticed
the OP cross-posted his question to several groups and maybe that's where my
reply went instead of here.

Paint is certainly an option but he could also use gel stains and/or artists
paints to lighten the knots and blend them in by feathering the stain to
lessen their presence.

(the original....;-)

Bob S.

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Bob S.

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"coustanis" wrote in message

That's why they call it KNOTTY pine.
WTF did you use knotty pine for if it's knot what you wanted.

Actually, the number and size of knots differs in the wood often found today
than it was 50 years ago on older growth trees.

Not quite true. The trees haven't changed - what we are willing to
settle for has. As long as they send the good lumber overseas to people
who won't settle for crap, we'll continue to get the leftovers here.

Bob S.

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Bob S. wrote:
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"coustanis" wrote in message

That's why they call it KNOTTY pine.
WTF did you use knotty pine for if it's knot what you wanted.

Actually, the number and size of knots differs in the wood often found today
than it was 50 years ago on older growth trees.

Not quite true. The trees haven't changed - what we are willing to
settle for has. As long as they send the good lumber overseas to people
who won't settle for crap, we'll continue to get the leftovers here.

We settle for wood cut from second growth becuase there is less
old growth available to be felled.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
bent

I'm gonna have to get back to read all posts, but before I do: I sand/poly a
pic table every year. Last year before I polied I wiped Lacquer thinner over
the bare pine where there was blackening from water exposure. Maybe it was
the sun, but it definetely bleached it white. It was like a full makeover!

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Lee

Back in the 50,s my father built a cottage on lake Puckaway in Wisconsin. I
remember the beautiful knotty pine walls(t&g) with the varnish finish. Lots
of knots and a reddish yellow tint. It was something I have never seen
again. It was truly some of the most beautiful wood I have ever seen.
"Bob S." wrote in message
oups.com...

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"coustanis" wrote in message

That's why they call it KNOTTY pine.
WTF did you use knotty pine for if it's knot what you wanted.

Actually, the number and size of knots differs in the wood often found
today
than it was 50 years ago on older growth trees.

Not quite true. The trees haven't changed - what we are willing to
settle for has. As long as they send the good lumber overseas to people
who won't settle for crap, we'll continue to get the leftovers here.

Bob S.

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
bent

I bought some pine furniture which has lots of knots, but its good stuff.
Popping is not necc a worry; see http://www.canwood.com/feature.html

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
bent

you can paint over it later, I think, and pine /poly should darken over
time. Darkening is explained elsewhere in the link I give elsewhere.

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
ameijers

"Lee" wrote in message
Back in the 50,s my father built a cottage on lake Puckaway in Wisconsin.

remember the beautiful knotty pine walls(t&g) with the varnish finish.

Lots
of knots and a reddish yellow tint. It was something I have never seen
again. It was truly some of the most beautiful wood I have ever seen.
"Bob S." wrote in message
oups.com...

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"coustanis" wrote in message

That's why they call it KNOTTY pine.
WTF did you use knotty pine for if it's knot what you wanted.

Actually, the number and size of knots differs in the wood often found
today
than it was 50 years ago on older growth trees.

Not quite true. The trees haven't changed - what we are willing to
settle for has. As long as they send the good lumber overseas to people
who won't settle for crap, we'll continue to get the leftovers here.

More true than not true. The cheap and easy old-growth stuff has been
largely cut down here in the lower 48, and you now have to haul it from
Canada, and eventually, Siberia, once they get their act together. The
old-growth that is left is largely in areas that aren't easily loggable,
and/or protected from logging. Try buying clear-grain pine for trim
sometime. (Forget about redwood). All you'll find is finger-joint, unless
cash is no object. I could cry thinking about all the 3-4 foot scraps that I
threw on the burn pile as a kid. Who knew? Any more, I would squirrel those
away for window and cabinet trim repairs. Increased durability isn't the
only reason that faux wood made from sawdust and pop bottles has caught on
for trim work- real wood good enough to not warp in a year has gotten damn
expensive.

I visited northern Europe last year, on the edge of the former USSR, and
positively drooled over the truckloads of lumber I saw heading into the
pallet and crate plants. Due to lack of a functioning market system, a lot
of their forests basically have lain fallow for 50+ years, and weren't
heavily logged before that. Their equivilant of a 2x10, a little thicker and
wider because of metric, is some damn nice looking lumber. I'd love to get a
couple seatrain boxes worth over here for household projects. T&G interior
paneling is dirt-common, and has almost no knots. They usually let it go
naked, or at most, put a clear sealer on it.

aem sends....

pine knots Bob Threlkeld Woodturning 7 March 3rd 06 05:29 PM
Painting pine with knots [email protected] Home Repair 4 November 13th 05 05:29 PM
Refinishing knotty pine paneling Lionel Woodworking 4 September 5th 05 07:58 PM
Knotty Pine room The Tilton Family Home Repair 3 January 30th 05 04:36 AM
routing through knots in pine news.tiscali.co.uk UK diy 2 January 29th 05 05:38 PM