Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Default Knotty pine - too many knots!!

wrote:
Hello all;

We've just installed an entire wall of kitchen cabinets in knotty pine
(couldn't find any other type of pine, and hardwood prices are out of
this world).

When you look at it from the corner of your eye, it feels like the wall
is covered with a giant leopard skin. NOT the look we were after.

Is there a way to mask SOME of the knots before we varnish the whole
thing in natural or honey-pine finish?

1) You can cut the knots out with a hole saw and glue in a piece of
non-knotty pine. Sort of like a dutchman or those 'footballs'
they use to replace knots on the 'B' side of B-C plywood.

2) You can seal the knots well with shellac and then paint them
with some sort of opaque paint that is closer to the color of
the surrounding wood. Artist's oil paints would give you the
latittude to blend what you need. If you want to get really fancy
and spend the time doing it you can match the grain too.

3) You can veneer over the underlying wood. But the knots may
bulge under the veneer.

--

FF