Posted to rec.woodworking
Al

Default Thia Group

I come in here a lot and don't say to much because many of the regulars
either ignore the newbie in here or treat him/her like crap. I have learned
alot in here sifting through the garbage and have had a few compliments on
some of my projects and I thank you for those. What is going on in here and
how do you if you can stop it?

Al.

Opinions are like A@#wholes everyone has one including me.
And thats the rest of the story....

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andrew Barss

Al wrote:
: I come in here a lot and don't say to much because many of the regulars
: either ignore the newbie in here or treat him/her like crap.

If you're talking about the recent (preceding week) of
massive OT posting by a high schooler, it'll pass.

If you're commenting about the group long term, you're completely off base. I.e., bull****. New
people are very well treated here.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Oleg Lego

The Al entity posted thusly:

I come in here a lot and don't say to much because many of the regulars
either ignore the newbie in here or treat him/her like crap. I have learned
alot in here sifting through the garbage and have had a few compliments on
some of my projects and I thank you for those. What is going on in here and
how do you if you can stop it?

I am relatively new, and have been treated very well since I started
coming here. I have asked quite a few questions, some of which were
not overly thought out before asking, but I was always treated
decently.

There are exceptions, of course, and you will soon figure out who to
ignore and who to pay attention to (your lists may differ from mine).

There has been a lot of garbage, but it will go away if you ignore it
(it's not always easy to refrain from feeding the trolls).

Posted to rec.woodworking
Edwin Pawlowski

"Al" wrote in message
nk.net...
I come in here a lot and don't say to much because many of the regulars
either ignore the newbie in here or treat him/her like crap.

People are often treated according to the attitude they have. Yours does
not seem very positive. What is the real reason for this post?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Al" wrote in message
I come in here a lot and don't say to much because many of the regulars
either ignore the newbie in here or treat him/her like crap. I have

learned
alot in here sifting through the garbage and have had a few compliments on
some of my projects and I thank you for those. What is going on in here

and
how do you if you can stop it?

Hey Al,

Your loan has been pre-approved, your home qualifies for low interest
mortgage even if you don't own one, allow us to forward this opportunity
from the third cousin of the former foreign minister of Nigeria, and
included is your free, low cost, prescription for two pills that are
guaranteed to add three inches to your fishing pole and make it stiffer.

sandbox elders suck washburn toenails cindy too.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Berger

Some people who frequent this newsgroup are far more skilled in their
woodwork than their social behavior. But not the majority.

Al wrote:
I come in here a lot and don't say to much because many of the regulars
either ignore the newbie in here or treat him/her like crap. I have learned
alot in here sifting through the garbage and have had a few compliments on
some of my projects and I thank you for those. What is going on in here and
how do you if you can stop it?

Al.

Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour

Al wrote:
I come in here a lot and don't say to much because many of the regulars
either ignore the newbie in here or treat him/her like crap. I have learned
alot in here sifting through the garbage and have had a few compliments on
some of my projects and I thank you for those. What is going on in here and
how do you if you can stop it?

There are various newsreaders that have filtering capabilities. If
someone bothers you then you drop them in the killfile (when you read a
post that has PLONK! - that's what happened). You can also set up the
filters to eliminate offensive words like Microsoft and rutabaga.

As far as the general tone of this group, it's a Sunday school group
compared to some of the newsgroups. alt.hvac is a prime example. In
general, it's best to just grow some thicker skin when dealing with
newsgroups. Random people are fielding your questions so there's
really no reason to take anything that's said personally.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tanus

Oleg Lego wrote:
The Al entity posted thusly:

I come in here a lot and don't say to much because many of the regulars
either ignore the newbie in here or treat him/her like crap. I have learned
alot in here sifting through the garbage and have had a few compliments on
some of my projects and I thank you for those. What is going on in here and
how do you if you can stop it?

I am relatively new, and have been treated very well since I started
coming here. I have asked quite a few questions, some of which were
not overly thought out before asking, but I was always treated
decently.

There are exceptions, of course, and you will soon figure out who to
ignore and who to pay attention to (your lists may differ from mine).

There has been a lot of garbage, but it will go away if you ignore it
(it's not always easy to refrain from feeding the trolls).

I'm with Oleg. I don't contribute much to the group either, but when
I've asked for help, I've been amazed at how quickly and thoughtfully
it's been provided. Most times when I post, I have some kind of error
in assumption that someone has been kind enough to point out to me
without making me feel like a dolt.

There are Usenet groups that hammer a newbie to bits in the hopes that
the newcomer will simply go away. The Wreck seems to thrive on new
people, rightly assuming that new blood adds richness to the group.

For that, I thank all of you. This is a group that I can understand why
people proudly proclaim in their sig files that they've been here for
over 10 years.

Tanus

Posted to rec.woodworking
Al

To be honest Edwin hoping to get something like wood working being talked
about in here instead of the mass garbage that seems to have found its way
here. And I have never been negative in this group always been supportive
but I have seen people totally treated like manuer in here as well. I have
had people slam on me once or twice perhaps thinking I was someone else who
knows? Don't realy care either I am here for one reason woodworking and
like many here would like the garbage barrage to stop. I can guarantee you
that I have not ever asked or treated anyone with out respect in here. Many
people here know more about woodworking then I do and I want to learn more.
I have been coming in here for over a year off and on I think this is the
fourth post I have ever put in here and one I did not so long ago and was
complimented on my work much appriciated. As to my post lets get back
into the shop...

Al

Too bad spell check does not cover the subject line. lol

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
om...

"Al" wrote in message
nk.net...
I come in here a lot and don't say to much because many of the regulars
either ignore the newbie in here or treat him/her like crap.

People are often treated according to the attitude they have. Yours does
not seem very positive. What is the real reason for this post?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

On 19 May 2006 16:11:44 -0700, "Tanus" wrote:

Oleg Lego wrote:
The Al entity posted thusly:

[...]

I think it most often depends upon the first impression that the new
person makes. Some who have been flamed to a crisp most often approach the
group with questions or statements in the imperative that seem to treat the
group as a service to provide answers at their beck and call. Those who
are polite and reasonable in their requests fit in well and are welcomed.