Posted to rec.woodworking
Rob Schuff

Default IPE shavings in the garden

Hi Folks,

Does anyone know if Ipe shavings used as mulch for blueberry plants
will cause a problem with the plants? I know that some species are not
recommended for mulch, but I haven't found a definitive answer for Ipe.

thanks

Rob

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Rob Schuff" wrote in message
Hi Folks,

Does anyone know if Ipe shavings used as mulch for blueberry plants
will cause a problem with the plants? I know that some species are not
recommended for mulch, but I haven't found a definitive answer for Ipe.

thanks

Rob

Ipe holds up for a very long time outside unprotected. It is a great deck
material. With that said it may not break down for a very long time and may
not accomplish what you want. I usually want my mulch to break down and add
back to the soil.

Posted to rec.woodworking
hylourgos

Hey Rob,

IPE doesn't show up on quite a few of the more popular toxicity charts
(DAGS wood + toxicity), but some list it as a mild irritant and
allergen--meaning that it can potentially affect a few (probably small
%) of the population.

Your question is tougher and no testing has been done that I know of,
esp. w/ reference to that one specific plant.

Note that some IPE intended for decking may be treated; if so, I would
not use it as mulch for any digestibles.

Sorry can't be of more help,

Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour

hylourgos wrote:

Note that some IPE intended for decking may be treated; if so, I would
not use it as mulch for any digestibles.

Treated Ipe? I've never heard of such a thing. Where did you run
across that?

Posted to rec.woodworking
hylourgos

RicodJour wrote:
hylourgos wrote:

Note that some IPE intended for decking may be treated; if so, I would
not use it as mulch for any digestibles.

Treated Ipe? I've never heard of such a thing. Where did you run
across that?

Seems silly, I know, but I thought I had read that somewhere. Can't
find it now, so maybe I'm mistaken....

Not the first time,

Posted to rec.woodworking
hylourgos

RicodJour wrote:
hylourgos wrote:

Note that some IPE intended for decking may be treated; if so, I would
not use it as mulch for any digestibles.

Treated Ipe? I've never heard of such a thing. Where did you run
across that?

Seems silly, I know, but I thought I had read that somewhere. Can't
find it now, so maybe I'm mistaken....

Maybe I'm thinking of the treatment that imported wood must receive in
order to be shipped(?)

Not the first time I've been mistaken, my wife reminds,

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"hylourgos" wrote in message
oups.com...

Not the first time I've been mistaken, my wife reminds,

Anniversary?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Rob Schuff

Thanks everyone. I think I'll use it somewhere else besides the
blueberries.

Rob