Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking
David F. Eisan

Default Folks Kitchen 99% done....

Hello Everyone,

It has been a while since my last update on my parents kitchen. There was
wood show season, a short winter vacation, waiting for glass, finishing and
a number of other hold ups, but things are almost done. Really, the only
thing left is the kick plate.

Here are how things stand now,

Shot from the dining room,

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/kitchendone1.jpg

Corner cupboard,

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/kitchendone1.jpg

There will be a lamp under the raised cabinet, like the other corner but
when I went to install it yesterday, I could not find the two clips that
hold it in.

From the main hall,

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/kitchendone3.jpg

A nice shot of a corner with the lamp on (the one I *could* find clips for),

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/kitchendone4.jpg

Above the stove with exhaust fan,

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/kitchendone5.jpg

Around the fridge,

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/kitchendone6.jpg

The cupboard to the left of the fridge is a Lee Valley pull out "larder"
unit, what looks like two doors simply pull out as one. Above that I made
just one door that looks like two. I don't see that cupboard being used very
much, and two small doors with a center face frame stile would have made it
impossible to get into.

Underneath the microwave,

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/kitchendone8.jpg

This was made to look like a cabinet door with a drawer above it, but it
opens to a lazy susan. This was where the sink was to go, but while the
cabinets were being installed, Mom changed her (with some persuasion) to put
the sink under the window.

Under the sink,

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/kitchendone9.jpg

What look like two drawers, open down to hold sink stuff.

Detail shot of drawers between sink and stove,

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/i...chendone10.jpg

Mom wanted deep drawers for her pots and pans. This are solid hard maple
drawers, hand dovetailed.

This is only my second kitchen. My first was for my sister, and it was
*much* less involved (paint grade, ply drawers, etc.). Once this is done, I
will start working on a new kitchen for where I live. We plan on selling our
current house soon and it much smaller than my folks, so won't be anything
on a scale like this.

If you are a glutton for punishment and want to see more about my parents
kitchen, read these threads,

Shot of old (bleck!) lowers and new sub floor going in,

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=9716

Putting down hardwood floor in kitchen,

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=9846

Clamping corner cabinet face frames,

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=10212

Installing the cabinets, crown moulding problems,

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=10948

Installing the cabinets 2,

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=11431

Resawing for panels,

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=9242

Hand dovetailing the drawers,

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=13901

More panel glue ups,

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=12963

Installing temp countertop when the one Mom ordered showed up cracked,

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=12108

Figuring out and installing drawer slides,

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=17833

Making the larder and other doors,

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=15702

Fetching more wood,

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=23638

Milling for doors,

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=25291

Galooing up doors,

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=25409

Trimming the bottoms of doors,

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=30561

Thanks for looking,

David.

Every neighbourhood has one; in mine I'm him.