Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cobollo experiences

I would like to pick the brain of someone who has had some experience
working with Cocobollo. I have a chance to acquire a a decent amount
ot a low cost and wanted to learn more about the nuisancess. If there
is anyone out there who's worked with the species shoot me email so we
can take the conversation off-line.

Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking
stoutman

wrote in message
ps.com...
I would like to pick the brain of someone who has had some experience
working with Cocobollo. I have a chance to acquire a a decent amount
ot a low cost and wanted to learn more about the nuisancess. If there
is anyone out there who's worked with the species shoot me email so we
can take the conversation off-line.

Thanks

I used it to make some drawer pulls. It is a very dense wood and has a
tendency to chip-out easily when working. Some people are sensitive to the
saw dust so use a dust mask when cutting. If you sand it down to 220 grit
it takes on a polished look.

Your shop will smell nice after cutting it!

Good luck.

--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

In article om,
wrote:

I would like to pick the brain of someone who has had some experience
working with Cocobollo. I have a chance to acquire a a decent amount
ot a low cost and wanted to learn more about the nuisancess

I had a histamine reaction the last time I worked with it, hives,
shortness of breath. Wear breathing gear and wash the dust off your
skin.

I don't do email replies to newsgroup messages.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Fly-by-Night CC

In article ,
"stoutman" .@. wrote:

Some people are sensitive to the
saw dust so use a dust mask when cutting.

Along with the other replies regarding this, take the above warning
seriously. I know of several turners who have been hospitalized with
their reactions to Cocobolo. It can trigger an allergic reaction that
builds up from repeated exposures to quite serious complications.
From http://www.iswonline.com/wwp/wom/cocobolo.cfm:
Beware of Wood Dust

Although cocobolo is a fine turning wood and most consider it easy to work
with, sanding and machining the wood produces a fine dust that can cause
dermatitis or a poison ivy-like rash. The dust can also cause orange stains
when it comes into contact with skin.

Boston-area custom woodworker Eric Englander agrees that the wood¹s dust can
be problematic. "People I know who use it wear a mask, gloves and long
sleeves when they are working with it," he says.

Albert Constantine Jr., in Know Your Woods, expresses similar concerns about
cocobolo¹s dust. "When working with cocobolo," he writes, "care must be
taken to protect oneself from the fine dust, as it produces a poisoning
similar to ivy poisoning. It can become very painful. When affected, a
person usually has to remain away from work for a week and then may never
again be able to be in a room where there is any cocobolo dust."

Also note that last sentence - it's no exaggeration.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
Corporate States of America and to the
Republicans for which it stands, one nation,
under debt, easily divisible, with liberty
and justice for oil."
- Wiley Miller, Non Sequitur, 1/24/05