Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Lacquered rosewood cocktail table-care of

1930's art deco has only been polished with lemon oil for past 3
years-what else should I be doing or not doing-has a mirror like finish
but you can see small scratches-that I don't think are in the wood but
in the polish--any suggestions

Thanks

Al in NYC

Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

wrote in message
oups.com...
1930's art deco has only been polished with lemon oil for past 3
years-what else should I be doing or not doing-has a mirror like finish
but you can see small scratches-that I don't think are in the wood but
in the polish--any suggestions

Thanks

Al in NYC

Johnsons paste wax.
Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

"Teamcasa" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
1930's art deco has only been polished with lemon oil for past 3
years-what else should I be doing or not doing-has a mirror like finish
but you can see small scratches-that I don't think are in the wood but
in the polish--any suggestions

Thanks

Al in NYC

Johnsons paste wax.

Dave is correct with the Johnson's suggestion, but that will only fill the
scratches with wax. Often times that's good enough. As they begin to
appear again, rewax. If it really is a lacquer finish then you can buff it
with a fine finishing polish and actually remove the scratches. The down
side of this is that if it's in use daily, you will likely end up with new
scratches, and of course there is a limit to how much you can buff a finish.
If it's strictly a show piece, buffing might be the preferred way to go, but
if it sees any use at all, or is subject to getting scratched again then you
probably should just go with the wax.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
AL

Before I wax should I wash off old wax-someone in the past suggested
dish detergent-1 cap to 1 gallon and mineral spirits after? I s this ok
thanks again Al in NYC