Posted to rec.woodworking
John B

Default Veneer Edging tape

I have used the iron-on wood veneeer tape on relatively simple projects with
good results, but have not had enough experience to evaluate the long-term
durability of the material. I'm now starting a rather nice TV table with
quartersawn oak top and ends and plywood shelves. I'm debating whether to
use the veneer tape or to glue strips of oak to the edges. Advice sought.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Pop

"John B" wrote in message
I have used the iron-on wood veneeer tape on relatively simple
projects with good results, but have not had enough experience
to evaluate the long-term durability of the material. I'm now
starting a rather nice TV table with quartersawn oak top and
ends and plywood shelves. I'm debating whether to use the veneer
tape or to glue strips of oak to the edges. Advice sought.

I've had "reasonable" results with it, but I used a heat gun to
apply it instead of an iron. It still looks OK.

I did a little testing first since it was edging for plywood, and
the results were much better on a finely sanded edge, almost a
final finish sanding (220 grit). It's been about three years and
still looks OK.
One thing about this type; it's easier to cut and angle little
cutouts, etc., if it's necessary, which it was in my case.

I'm sure ymmv.

HTH
Pop

Posted to rec.woodworking
RayV

I've only used the iron on edging for a painted project so don't know
how it takes stain but it has held up well. I made four cubbies and
ironed the edging on the face of them. Three years later with blocks
and dolls smacked into them, an occasional bump with the vaccum and
only one small chip. It would probably hold up fine but I don't think
you'll be able to hide the seam well enough for a stained project.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bigpole

I have been using it for years with good results. The only failure that I
know of was on a curved
surface. I made our kitchen table out of 3/4" oak plywood and edge banding
in 1990 and its
holding up well.

Ted