Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Disk sander from scratch

I have an AC motor used as the exhaust fan for a heat pump that I'd
like to use to make a disk sander. The motor is 220 VAC, 1 Amp with a
speed of (I think) 1750 RPMs. Problem #1 is that my small shop only has
110 VAC.

I've read somewhere that you can run a 220 motor off of 110. If true,
how does that affect the current requirements and the running speed.

Also, I'll need a starter capacitor. I have the motor's instructions
(not with me at the moment) but how do I determine the capacitor
ratings for the lower input voltage?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bugs

If you have the motor instructions, they will tell you how to re-wire
for 120V if it is possible. Most fan motors are shaded pole with very
poor torque characteristics for what you are trying to do. Good luck!
Bugs

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike

Well, I have my answer. I hooked up the motor to 110 last night (with
supplied starter capacitor) and got a dismal response. It has so little
torque on 110 that I could stop the motor by grabbing the shaft with my
bare hands! Looks like I'll either have to find a 110 motor or buy a
commercially available disk sander.

thanks for you input.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Hall

Option #2:
I also wanted a larger disc sander. Saw in Price Cutter Catalog a 10 "
sanding plate that replaces the saw blade in a 10" table saw! Not wanting to
mess up my table saw, checked frequently on Craigs List (or classified) and
found a really cheap bench top 10 " saw for $25.00.Bought it and the Price
Cutter adapter. With a little ingenuity, converted the fence with a 15" x
10" piece of scrap wood. Hooked up the sander plate, slid the board against
it to make a safety cover. Then permanently mounted the board to the fence
with screws.Cut a hole in the back of the saw to match my shop vac and now
have a nice little "tabletop bench sander"! As the saw motor runs at 4800
rpm (PDF for a sander), I installed a HF Router speed controller and adjust
speed to the job.I also added a homebrew small downdraft sanding table to
the other side. The whole thing "ain't pretty", but for about $65.00, I have
a neat little setup that works great. If Interested ,I can post pics at
ABPW.

Bill
"Mike" wrote in message
oups.com...
Well, I have my answer. I hooked up the motor to 110 last night (with
supplied starter capacitor) and got a dismal response. It has so little
torque on 110 that I could stop the motor by grabbing the shaft with my
bare hands! Looks like I'll either have to find a 110 motor or buy a
commercially available disk sander.

thanks for you input.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike

Please post your pics. I'm sure others might be interested in your
setup, too.

mike

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike

Yes, I've a table saw but don't really want to mess with a converter.
At this point I've got 3 options: 1. buy a commercial disk sander, 2.
buy a suitable motor and build one (my woodworking mags have a plan),
3. buy a cheap table-top saw and go the route suggested by you and Bill
Hall (msg 5, above).

I'm glad you mentioned your experience with the drill attachment. Was
wondering if my variable-speed 1/2" drill would have enough power and
speed.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Hall

Mike:
Posted the series of pics at ABPW. If they came through!!
Still using this set-up and works well for an inexpensive approach.
Bill
"Mike" wrote in message
oups.com...
Please post your pics. I'm sure others might be interested in your
setup, too.

mike

DIY - Lathe Based 10" Disk Sander Greg G. Woodturning 10 December 27th 05 04:31 AM
Sears Rotozip Clone; will its sander disk fit a Rotozip kturnerga Home Repair 1 November 29th 05 01:14 AM
bench disk versus belt sander - different functions? igor Woodworking 14 October 28th 05 12:06 PM
TS as Disk Sander nevems2 Woodworking 6 August 17th 05 04:48 AM
DC layout - will I ever want a belt or disk sander? [email protected] Woodworking 25 February 7th 05 10:39 PM