Posted to rec.woodworking
Phisherman

Default Audio components and Plasma TV shelving

I will be getting a 50" Plasma TV. Along with that I need a space to
hold the center channel speaker, receiver, DVD player, and VHS unit.
The TV will be positioned diagonally in a corner. I plan to build
something like this as seen from above:

________________
/ \
/_________________\

Actually three of these are shelves, and two sides with dadoes made in
a Shaker-style. The top shelf should be about 4 feet high. My issue
here is the span. The 3/4" ply shelves are 17" deep with a 1.5"
solid wood lip on the from and back. The TV weighs about 100 pounds,
receiver 30 lbs, VHS 15 lbs, speaker 20 lbs, and DVD player 15 lbs.
Since this shelving unit will be holding about 4 grand of equipment,
this must be sturdy. The sides will be against the wall, possibly
with fasteners (any suggestions for fasteners?)
Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim

"Phisherman" wrote in message
I will be getting a 50" Plasma TV. Along with that I need a space to
hold the center channel speaker, receiver, DVD player, and VHS unit.
The TV will be positioned diagonally in a corner. I plan to build
something like this as seen from above:

________________
/ \
/_________________\

Actually three of these are shelves, and two sides with dadoes made in
a Shaker-style. The top shelf should be about 4 feet high. My issue
here is the span. The 3/4" ply shelves are 17" deep with a 1.5"
solid wood lip on the from and back. The TV weighs about 100 pounds,
receiver 30 lbs, VHS 15 lbs, speaker 20 lbs, and DVD player 15 lbs.
Since this shelving unit will be holding about 4 grand of equipment,
this must be sturdy. The sides will be against the wall, possibly
with fasteners (any suggestions for fasteners?)

What would be the span of the shelves?
Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking
Phisherman

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 23:52:37 GMT, "Jim" wrote:

"Phisherman" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Probably close to 50", or the typical width of a 50" plasma TV plus a
couple inches.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim Taylor

Obviously you are a man that knows his system, would you please mail me? I
have a few system questions to ask you. Remove the

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 23:52:37 GMT, "Jim" wrote:

. ..