Posted to rec.woodworking
mark

Default making raised panels

I bought a raised panel bit with a back cutter. What is the proper way to
take each each cut. I watched Norm with a normal raised panel bit and he
raises the bit after each pass but with the back cutter you cannot do this.
Should I remove the back cutter and only replace for the last pass? Should I
leave the bit height constant and move the fence after each pass?

Posted to rec.woodworking
RayV

Should I remove the back cutter and only replace for the last pass?
Should I
leave the bit height constant and move the fence after each pass?

Yes.

Posted to rec.woodworking
RayV

Let me try this again.

Should I leave the bit height constant and move the fence after each
pass?

Yes.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"mark" wrote in message
I bought a raised panel bit with a back cutter. What is the proper way to
take each each cut. I watched Norm with a normal raised panel bit and he
raises the bit after each pass but with the back cutter you cannot do this.
Should I remove the back cutter and only replace for the last pass? Should
I leave the bit height constant and move the fence after each pass?

Because most raised panel bits have guide bearings use the fence at
different distances until you reach the full depth cut.
Taking the back cutter off is a pain and requires realignment of the bit.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Charley

Move the fence. It is easier to do and you never ruin a panel by getting the
wrong height setting once you have made the initial height adjustment and
check. All of your panels turn out the same.

--
Charley

"mark" wrote in message
I bought a raised panel bit with a back cutter. What is the proper way to
take each each cut. I watched Norm with a normal raised panel bit and he
raises the bit after each pass but with the back cutter you cannot do

this.
Should I remove the back cutter and only replace for the last pass? Should

leave the bit height constant and move the fence after each pass?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Wilson

I've never done it with a router, but my 3HP shaper easily makes a full cut
with a 5" cutter and back cut.
It seems like a 3HP router could take a full cut with the smaller cutters
they take. I'd like to hear about this form someone who has tried.
On super messy twisted grain hickory, I have to use the slow pulley setup to
get enough torque, but it's still plenty fast and the cuts are still
smooth...Freud panel raiser and Woodline backcutter. There is no noticeable
dulling after a whole kitchen and three bathrooms.
Wilson
"mark" wrote in message
I bought a raised panel bit with a back cutter. What is the proper way to
take each each cut. I watched Norm with a normal raised panel bit and he
raises the bit after each pass but with the back cutter you cannot do this.
Should I remove the back cutter and only replace for the last pass? Should
I leave the bit height constant and move the fence after each pass?

Posted to rec.woodworking

I bought a raised panel bit with a back cutter.....Should I leave the bit height constant and move the fence after each pass?

Leave the bit height and there's no need to move the fence.
Clamp a shim ( about 1/2") against the fence. Make a pass.
Replace the shim with a thinner (about 1/4") shim. Male another pass.
For the last shim I use a piece of laminate like formica.
Then I make a final finish pass without a shim.

I get excellent results and I don't have to alter the fence or cutter
positions.

Joel

Posted to rec.woodworking
RayV

great tip!

Posted to rec.woodworking
charlie b

wrote:

I bought a raised panel bit with a back cutter.....Should I leave the bit height constant and move the fence after each pass?

Leave the bit height and there's no need to move the fence.
Clamp a shim ( about 1/2") against the fence. Make a pass.
Replace the shim with a thinner (about 1/4") shim. Male another pass.
For the last shim I use a piece of laminate like formica.
Then I make a final finish pass without a shim.

I get excellent results and I don't have to alter the fence or cutter
positions.

Joel

The fun and games with large diameter router bits involves not
only lowering the RPMs but also avoiding burning as well as
splintering and fuzz when doing the end grain. To eliminate
burning you need to feed the stock fairly quickly. With a router,
that often results in bogging the motor down if you try and
cut the whole profile in one pass.

These bits take a bit of trial and error to arrive at the right
combination of bit exposure in front of the fence and bit
height above the table. Moving the fence, unless it can be
accurately positioned for the final pass, will result in
differences in a set of panels. Doesn't take much to notice,
if only at an unconscious level.

Because of the size of the bit, if you make a zero clearance
fence insert for its finaly pass set up, when you move the
fence foreward to make progressive cuts you get a big
gap around the bit in the initial passes. That gap can allow
the leading corner to be pulled behind the fence face,
not good. Same potential problem at the end of the pass.

Head over to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking and look for
"Big Bit Burning and Splintering Solution"
which illustrates making zero clearance auxilliary fences
and a tip to eliminate fuzzies and the need for sanding them
off.

As for using a shaper to cut raised panels - best to have
a power feeder - saves fingers and the need to change
your shorts.

charlie b

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

wrote in message
oups.com...
I bought a raised panel bit with a back cutter.....Should I leave the bit
height constant and move the fence after each pass?

Leave the bit height and there's no need to move the fence.
Clamp a shim ( about 1/2") against the fence. Make a pass.
Replace the shim with a thinner (about 1/4") shim. Male another pass.
For the last shim I use a piece of laminate like formica.
Then I make a final finish pass without a shim.

I get excellent results and I don't have to alter the fence or cutter
positions.

Joel

I find moving the fence much easier.

Posted to rec.woodworking
B A R R Y

Leon wrote:

I find moving the fence much easier.

I do it both ways.

I REALLY like 1/8" hardboard and raw plastic laminate shims for cutting
depth / height adjustments, while I use clamped stop blocks to hold the
final fence position.

raised panel doors Sam the Cat Woodworking 5 October 30th 05 04:32 AM
router and raised panels ?s habbi Woodworking 13 May 22nd 05 04:15 PM
raised panels (again) CNT Woodworking 8 May 21st 05 04:29 PM
Making Trim? Bob S. Woodworking 0 September 5th 03 10:05 PM