Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Dremel Advantage accessory for making a goban?

Hi folks,

I'm a bit of a doofus when it comes to woodworking. I can build a
slightly lopsided bookshelf, but that's about the extent of my
abilities.

I've recently started playing a lot of Go, however, and I'd like to
make my own tabletop Goban: a 19" x 19" wooden board, 1" thick, with
what essentially amounts to a 19 x 19 grid on the surface.

There are a few people that make 'em by drawing lines on wood, but I'm
not confident that the ink won't fade/scuff with time. I'd rather try
to etch the board into the wood, then varnish and "fill" the grid so
that the ink is inset, rather than sitting on the surface. Plus, I
think it would look cooler.

I have a Dremel Advantage that I bought years ago for some drywalling
projects. I'm SURE that there's an accessory out there that will help
me "draw" precise, straight lines to make this grid... but I'm not sure
what's best for the task. Given that a new goban costs around CAD$100
after shipping, I think I can splurge on a re-useable tool to work on
this... but what would be the best way to approach this project?

The key, to me, is finding something that will let me easily make
straight lines, measured to the mm, in the wood surface. But I could be
wrong on that, too. If there's a better way to go about this, let me
know!

Thanks!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Shopdog

Dremel makes a router accessory that would be a good idea to start. then you
would need the appropriate bit, this you can choose by whatever design you
would like in the wood. Then Lay your grid out on the wood surface, take a
scrap straight edge andthen clamp it to your wood given the distance from
the router attachment to the bit of course. Then all you have to do is
adjust the depth of cut and follow the line, lather rinse and repeat!

Good luck

Searcher

Posted to rec.woodworking
Clint

If I was making something like that, I'd think about using the router
attachment and a straight-edge as suggested to slice the lines maybe 1/16"
deep. Then get some black epoxy (assuming a light colored board), and fill
the lines with the epoxy. You may want to lay down some painter's tape on
either side of the lines, in case you get a little sloppy with the epoxy
(not sure how easy it is to clean up).

Clint

wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:

There are a few people that make 'em by drawing lines on wood, but I'm
not confident that the ink won't fade/scuff with time. I'd rather try
to etch the board into the wood, then varnish and "fill" the grid so
that the ink is inset, rather than sitting on the surface. Plus, I
think it would look cooler.

I have a Dremel Advantage that I bought years ago for some drywalling
projects. I'm SURE that there's an accessory out there that will help
me "draw" precise, straight lines to make this grid... but I'm not sure
what's best for the task. Given that a new goban costs around CAD$100
after shipping, I think I can splurge on a re-useable tool to work on
this... but what would be the best way to approach this project?

(some snippage)

I'm usually good about searching before posting, but I slipped up this
time. After the fact, I found
http://groups.google.ca/group/rec.ga...ff7b512f63b037, which
is a great set of instructions. But I'm still curious about "etching" a
board instead of drawing the lines on one... so I'd still like Dremel
recommendations for a tool that might help me out with that.