Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Need gastric reflux platform bed. Can you help?

I'm 48 yr old man and suffer from gastric reflux.

Elevating my bed head by say 10: helps a lot

Problems with this are that at end of night I've slid
down mattress and mattress has slid down box springs

Everything has to be "pulled" back up in AM.

I'm not a wood worker but have always like Japanese
style Zen like furniture. Very rich woods very simple
designs and low to floor

see link

http://tinyurl.com/fvbkf

any ideas on how to design and make a Japanese style
platform bed with raised head for use on bedroom floor?
maybe only a few inches above floor

It would be better if head can be adjusted to various
heights

Id also use an air mattress or foam mattress on frame

Would also be nice if entire thing can be easily taken
apart such as for a college student who may move
furniture twice yearly.... to school in fall and to
home in spring.

Advice?
Posted to rec.woodworking
BobS

Mother-in-law has the same problem and I elevated her bed probably 6" - not
as steep as you're doing. This doesn't involve woodworking but go to a
medical supply store and pick up a "wedge" type of cushion. They come in
different thicknesses and typically cover 1/4 of the bed - under your back
and shoulders. They have a slip-on cover, come in different firmness levels
and made from allergy-free material as I recall. These are a lot better
quality than the similar looking wedge pillows/supports that you find at
Wally world.

Just a thought,

Bob S.

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"BobS" wrote:

This doesn't involve woodworking but go to a
medical supply store and pick up a "wedge" type of cushion.

I want to build a bed as well tho
Posted to rec.woodworking
C & E

wrote in message
[...]

You admire the design features of Japanese styling so design one yourself.
You're not a woodworker so present your design to a couple of different
shops and farm out the construction. I have used the the wedges that Bob
speaks of with many clients and with great success. This means that the bed
could be constructed to a lesser angle thus at least limiting the problems
that gravity is giving you. The wedge would make up the greater part of the
angle. Best of luck.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"C & E" wrote:

You admire the design features of Japanese styling so design one yourself.
You're not a woodworker so present your design to a couple of different
shops and farm out the construction. I have used the the wedges that Bob
speaks of with many clients and with great success. This means that the bed
could be constructed to a lesser angle thus at least limiting the problems
that gravity is giving you. The wedge would make up the greater part of the
angle. Best of luck.

My doctor has advised against any 'wedges"

Says the bed itself "must" be raised at head end

Posted to rec.woodworking
BobS

Okay - forget all the above.

wrote in message
"BobS" wrote:

This doesn't involve woodworking but go to a
medical supply store and pick up a "wedge" type of cushion.

I want to build a bed as well tho

Posted to rec.woodworking
BobS

Well making a bed at the same angle that you're using now means that gravity
will still work the same. Draw it out and unless you drive some stakes into
the mattress to hold you and everything else back from sliding down, the
only other thing I can think of are magnets. Lee Valley sells some good
ones. I figure one good rare earth magnet about 3' in diameter should do
it.

So while you're waiting for the magnet or whittling some stakes - why don't
you place some riser blocks under the feet of the headboard until you find a
height that works for you and one where you aren't curled up against the
footboard in the morning. Ask your doctor "why" not the wedge. We're
talking about a wedge that is half the length of the mattress and half as
wide and that's what in the hell they're used for.

But you want to build a bed - then have at it. You asked for suggestions -
you got them it looks like but you didn't like the replies so go to your
library and start doing some research.

Bob S.

wrote in message
"C & E" wrote:

You admire the design features of Japanese styling so design one yourself.
You're not a woodworker so present your design to a couple of different
shops and farm out the construction. I have used the the wedges that Bob
speaks of with many clients and with great success. This means that the
bed
could be constructed to a lesser angle thus at least limiting the problems
that gravity is giving you. The wedge would make up the greater part of
the
angle. Best of luck.

My doctor has advised against any 'wedges"

Says the bed itself "must" be raised at head end

Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve W

wrote in message
"C & E" wrote:

You admire the design features of Japanese styling so design one yourself.
You're not a woodworker so present your design to a couple of different
shops and farm out the construction. I have used the the wedges that Bob
speaks of with many clients and with great success. This means that the
bed
could be constructed to a lesser angle thus at least limiting the problems
that gravity is giving you. The wedge would make up the greater part of
the
angle. Best of luck.

My doctor has advised against any 'wedges"

Says the bed itself "must" be raised at head end

The shoulders just need to be above the hips. I can't think of anything
wrong with a wedge unless it is only elevating the head or causing back
problems.

If your reflux is bad enough that you need to modify your bed, you should
consider talking to a surgeon that treats reflux and get information about
having it fixed.

http://www.umm.edu/general_surgery/nissen_fundo.html

Your doctor should be able to recommend someone you could see in your
community.

-Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tim Douglass wrote:

I have lost 50 pounds and now sleep on a flat
bed, take no meds and can eat tomatoes and drink coffee again. I don't
know your condition, but when they say that overweight is a common
cause of reflux I'm inclined to believe them.

Agree

good point

I will lose weight and see what happens

Maybe I wont need to elevate bed at all after that?

I'm 48..... 5'11" and 210 lbs

I "probably" should weigh 170lbs?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Odinn wrote:

Damn, I'm 46, 6'0" and 235 lbs. at 170 lbs I'ld look like a frackin
bean pole. Even when I was in the best condition of my life, weight
lifting and 5-8% body fat, I had a 29" waist and weighed in between 185
and 190. I doubt I'll ever see close to 30" ever again.

Well I have a slight build...small bone structure