Posted to rec.woodworking
jo4hn

Default OT Humor:Words of Yesterday

I came across this phrase in a book yesterday "FENDER SKIRTS".

A term I haven't heard in a long time and thinking about "fender skirts"
started me thinking about other words that quietly disappear from our
language with hardly a notice.

Like "curb feelers" R¹SfÆÐSfó“Sfð“Sfand "steering knobs" (I knew these
as “brodie knobs”).

¸Sf×ÌSfSince I'd been thinking of cars, my mind naturally went that
direction first. Any kids will probably have to find some elderly person
over 50 to explain some of these terms to you.

Remember "Continental kits?” They were rear bumper extenders and spare
tire covers that were supposed to make any car as cool as a Lincoln
Continental.

When did we quit calling them "emergency brakes?” At some point
"parking brake" became the proper term. But I miss the hint of drama
that went with "emergency brake."

I'm sad, too, that almost all the old folks are gone who would call the
accelerator the "foot feed."

Didn't you ever wait at the street for your daddy to come home, so you
could ride the "running board" up to the house?

Here's a phrase I heard all the time in my youth but never anymore -
"store-bought.” Of course, just about everything is store-bought these
days. But once it was bragging material to have a store-bought dress or
a store-bought bag of candy.

"Coast to coast" is a phrase that once held all sorts of excitement and
now means almost nothing. Now we take the term "world wide" for
granted. This floors me.

On a smaller scale, "wall-to-wall" was once a magical term in our homes.
In the '50s, everyone covered his or her hardwood floors with, wow,
wall-to-wall carpeting! Today, everyone replaces their wall-to-wall
carpeting with hardwood floors. Go figure.

When's the last time you heard the quaint phrase "in a family way?”
It's hard to imagine that the word "pregnant" was once considered a
little too graphic, a little too clinical for use in polite company. So
we had all that talk about stork visits and "being in a family way" or
simply"expecting."

Apparently "brassiere" is a word no longer in usage. I said it the
other day and my daughter cracked up. I guess it's just "bra" now
"Unmentionables" probably wouldn't be understood at all.

I always loved going to the "picture show," but I considered "movie" an
affectation.

Most of these words go back to the '50s, but here's a pure-'60s word I
came across the other day - "rat fink.” Ooh, what a nasty put-down!

Here's a word I miss - "percolator.” That was just a fun word to say.
And what was it replaced with? "Coffee maker.” How dull. Mr. Coffee, I
blame you for this.

I miss those made-up marketing words that were meant to sound so modern
and now sound so retro. Words like "DynaFlow" and "Electrolux."
Introducing the 1963 Admiral TV, now with "SpectraVision!"

Food for thought - Was there a telethon that wiped out lumbago? Nobody
complains of that anymore. Maybe that's what castor oil cured, because
I never hear mothers threatening kids with castor oil anymore.

Some words aren't gone, but are definitely on the endangered list. The
one that grieves me most "supper.” Now everybody says "dinner.” Save a
great word. Invite someone to supper. Discuss fender skirts.

Mahalo,
jo4hn
Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Hall

Strange you should mention "Fender Skirts". I have a set of 49-52 Chevy
Fender Skirts for sale on the local "Craigs List".I need the money cause the
wife is in the "Family Way" .
Come on over some evening for Supper and we can talk about cars and wood
stuff :)
Bill
"jo4hn" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
jo4hn

Bill Hall wrote:

Strange you should mention "Fender Skirts". I have a set of 49-52 Chevy
Fender Skirts for sale on the local "Craigs List".I need the money cause the
wife is in the "Family Way" .
Come on over some evening for Supper and we can talk about cars and wood
stuff :)
Bill

[snip]
I'm always good for free food and drink. Where are you?
greedy,
jo4hn
Posted to rec.woodworking
Oleg Lego

The jo4hn entity posted thusly:

Like "curb feelers" R¹SfÆÐSfó“Sfð“Sfand "steering knobs" (I knew these
as “brodie knobs”).

This is just too weird. I hadn't thought of "curb feelers" for maybe
40 years. Then, last Sunday evening, I saw a classified ad in which
someone was offering a set of them. Now you mention them too.

Ever get the feeling that words are alive, and when one wakes up, it
starts showing up uninvited everywhere?

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"jo4hn" wrote in message
Like "curb feelers" R¹SfÆÐSfó“Sfð“Sfand "steering knobs" (I knew these as
“brodie knobs”).

Similar, anyway. I knew them as "suicide" knobs. I suppose that's the link
to Brodie.
http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/?date=19960627

When did we quit calling them "emergency brakes?” At some point "parking
brake" became the proper term. But I miss the hint of drama that went
with "emergency brake."

Wish they'd go back to it. How many morons have you heard say their brakes
failed, so they hit X. Seems they've forgotten that manual brake built in
when hydraulics were less reliable. Of course, it wouldn't be as much fun
to watch the hero careen about in the mountains instead of using the
emergency. But if people thought of it that way they'd be the one
hollaring "pull the emergency brake" in the dark theater instead of me.
Excuse me, movieplex.

Here's a word I miss - "percolator.” That was just a fun word to say. And
what was it replaced with? "Coffee maker.” How dull. Mr. Coffee, I blame
you for this.

I don't miss boiled coffee at all. Even when it was common to perk, I
preferred drip. Strained with the teeth, or even "hobo" (homeless man)
coffee was better than boiled. Nice paper filters sure made things easier.

Beloit college put out its History professor's reality sheet any more?
Worthwhile read.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"George" George@least wrote in message

I don't miss boiled coffee at all. Even when it was common to perk, I
preferred drip. Strained with the teeth, or even "hobo" (homeless man)
coffee was better than boiled. Nice paper filters sure made things
easier.

George, how does a coffee maker differ so much from a percolator other than
the water does not continue to percolate through the coffee grounds? IIRC
every coffee maker that I have seen does boil the water before the water
reaches the ground coffee.

Oops, I just answered my question. The percolator boils the water and
coffee. The coffee maker only boils the water.
That said, coffee is even better if you heat the water in a pan and not
bring it to a boil then poor that water over the ground coffee. Not as
convenient though.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Pounds on Wood

"Leon" wrote in message
t...

coffee. The coffee maker only boils the water.
That said, coffee is even better if you heat the water in a pan and not
bring it to a boil then poor that water over the ground coffee. Not as
convenient though.

True. And you can get a Bunn that does just that. Our current model holds
a reservoir of hot water, holding it at the perfect temp at all times. When
ready to brew you just pour cold water in the top and it pushes hot water
out of the tank and into the basket. It brews a pot in about 2 minutes and
never boils the water.

It's not the best if you go weeks without making coffee, because it wastes
power and some water seems to evaporate. But for folks like me for whom
coffee is a religion, it's a nice unit.
--
********
Bill Pounds

Posted to rec.woodworking
Vic Baron

"Pounds on Wood" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message
t...

[...]

Have to agree on the Bunn - just bought my second one - first one lasted
20 years! Makes the BEST coffee - bar none!

Vic

Posted to rec.woodworking
Vic Baron

"jo4hn" wrote in message

I came across this phrase in a book yesterday "FENDER SKIRTS".

snip

How about "Carter's Little Liver Pills"?

Vic

Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve

Vic Baron wrote:
"jo4hn" wrote in message

I came across this phrase in a book yesterday "FENDER SKIRTS".

snip

How about "Carter's Little Liver Pills"?

Vic

Doan's Pills?

--Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking
Vic Baron

Slogans too - How about
"You'll wonder where the yellow went when you brush your teeth with
Pepsodent?"

and the ever popular

"BrylCreem - A little dab'll do ya!"

not to mention the old Burma Shave rhyme road signs.

Gee! I really *am* an old fart!

Vic

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Vic Baron" wrote in message
Slogans too - How about
"You'll wonder where the yellow went when you brush your teeth with
Pepsodent?"

and the ever popular

"BrylCreem - A little dab'll do ya!"

not to mention the old Burma Shave rhyme road signs.

Gee! I really *am* an old fart!

Only if you remember "Hadacol".

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
Vic Baron

"Swingman" wrote in message

"Vic Baron" wrote in message
Slogans too - How about
"You'll wonder where the yellow went when you brush your teeth with
Pepsodent?"

and the ever popular

"BrylCreem - A little dab'll do ya!"

not to mention the old Burma Shave rhyme road signs.

Gee! I really *am* an old fart!

Only if you remember "Hadacol".

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Remembered the name - seem to recall it was a yellowish liquid cold remedy
or something like that.

Do they still make "Sen-Sen"? and the bitter tasting licorice lozenge in the
orange and black box?

What amazes me is the fact that they *still* make those hard candy drops on
a paper strip and the was "bottles" with colored sugar water in them. I used
to eat them when *I* was a kid. Talk about brand survival.

Vic

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark Jerde

How about tobacco ads on TV?

"Winston tastes good, like a (bumm bumm) cigarette should."

-- Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

George wrote:
"jo4hn" wrote in message

Like "curb feelers" R¹SfÆÐSfó“Sfð“Sfand "steering knobs" (I knew these as
“brodie knobs”).

Similar, anyway. I knew them as "suicide" knobs. I suppose that's the link
to Brodie.
http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/?date=19960627

That's interesting to me because, without any reference to knobs, we as
teens referred to cutting circular grooves in the turf while spinning a
car or truck's wheels with the steering wheel hard over "spinning brodies".

No, I never did that to a neighbor's lawn or the golf course.

er
--
email not valid

Posted to rec.woodworking
Vic Baron

"Mark Jerde" wrote in message
How about tobacco ads on TV?

"Winston tastes good, like a (bumm bumm) cigarette should."

-- Mark

Remember when " Lucky Green has gone to war"?

LS/MFT - Lucky Strike Means Fine Tobacco!

or the "Old Gold" mother and daughter dancing cigarette packs!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Vic Baron"wrote in message

"Mark Jerde" wrote in message

How about tobacco ads on TV?

"Winston tastes good, like a (bumm bumm) cigarette should."

-- Mark

Remember when " Lucky Green has gone to war"?

LS/MFT - Lucky Strike Means Fine Tobacco!

or the "Old Gold" mother and daughter dancing cigarette packs!

.... or "More Doctors smoke Camels than any other brand!"

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
jo4hn

Vic Baron wrote:
"jo4hn" wrote in message

I came across this phrase in a book yesterday "FENDER SKIRTS".

snip

How about "Carter's Little Liver Pills"?

Vic

Or Carter's Little Farter Starters.
j4
Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

In article , Vic
Baron wrote:

Do they still make "Sen-Sen"? and the bitter tasting licorice lozenge in the
orange and black box?

http://www.candyfavorites.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=1249
Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Payne

In article , Vic
Baron wrote:

Do they still make "Sen-Sen"? and the bitter tasting licorice lozenge in the
orange and black box?

http://www.candyfavorites.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=1249

That reminded me of Lucky Elephant pink popcorn. Used to buy it as a kid
in the early 50's, I think it's still around.
And still as ugly looking :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Steve" wrote in message

Doan's Pills?

--Steve

Still at your local drug store.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Vic Baron" wrote in message
. net...

What amazes me is the fact that they *still* make those hard candy drops
on a paper strip and the was "bottles" with colored sugar water in them. I
used to eat them when *I* was a kid. Talk about brand survival.

Or., Candy cigarettes, and bubble gum cigars.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

Swingman wrote:

Only if you remember "Hadacol".

Remember the story about the sparrow that drank a bottle of Hadacol,
then raped two eagles and took off after a B-29?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Payne

On 13/04/2006 4:21 PM, Leon wrote:

Or., Candy cigarettes, and bubble gum cigars.

Licorice cigars and pipes, complete with "fire".
Lik-M-Aid.
Wax lips, bottles, whistles.
Blackjack gum.
Macintosh toffee.

It's amazing we still have teeth. *Any* teeth.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
Swingman wrote:

Only if you remember "Hadacol".

Remember the story about the sparrow that drank a bottle of Hadacol,
then raped two eagles and took off after a B-29?

LOL ... I thought that was a hummingbird ... and at 24% alcohol, IIRC, I
remember the feeling myself ...

Actually, it was a distant relative (all coonasses are related), Dudley
LeBlanc, who brewed Hadacol.

What I really remember is seeing the Hadacol posters painted on the sides of
barns in rural S. Louisiana ... back when most folks went to town, and
church, in a horse and buggy because the roads were too bad for the few cars
that were around.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"Swingman" wrote in message
... or "More Doctors smoke Camels than any other brand!"

Eight of ten doctors who switched to camels never went back to women....

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

Swingman wrote:

Actually, it was a distant relative (all coonasses are related), Dudley
LeBlanc, who brewed Hadacol.

Are you a registered coon ass?

Had a guy who worked for me (A Yankee of course), who moved to Baton
Rouge and became an adopted registered coon ass.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Vic Baron wrote:
"jo4hn" wrote in message

I came across this phrase in a book yesterday "FENDER SKIRTS".

snip

How about "Carter's Little Liver Pills"?

Vic

Or Carter's Little Farter Starters.
j4

That's what we used to call them! For reference, I grew up on the west
coast of Canada. You?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

Actually, it was a distant relative (all coonasses are related), Dudley
LeBlanc, who brewed Hadacol.

Are you a registered coon ass?

You've thanked me for my recipes, what do you think, cher?

Had a guy who worked for me (A Yankee of course), who moved to Baton
Rouge and became an adopted registered coon ass.

Tis' a rare thing ... that particular origin usually means immediate
disqualification.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve

George wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in message

... or "More Doctors smoke Camels than any other brand!"

Eight of ten doctors who switched to camels never went back to women....

How about the Timex commercials that always finished with John Cameron
Swayzee saying, "It's still ticking!"

Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve

Leon wrote:
"Steve" wrote in message

Doan's Pills?

--Steve

Still at your local drug store.

Raelly? What are they supposed to do?

--Steve
Posted to rec.woodworking
no(SPAM)vasys

Steve wrote:
Leon wrote:

"Steve" wrote in message

Doan's Pills?

--Steve

Still at your local drug store.

Raelly? What are they supposed to do?

--Steve

They were supposed to relieve muscular back pain. The FTC nailed them
for false advertising.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)
Posted to rec.woodworking
Andrew Barss

jo4hn wrote:

: I came across this phrase in a book yesterday "FENDER SKIRTS".

Did you write this column?

http://www.suddenlysenior.com/fenderskirts.html

If not, somebody's been plagiarizing.

- Andy Barss
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"no(SPAM)vasys" wrote in message
Steve wrote:

--Steve

They were supposed to relieve muscular back pain. The FTC nailed them for
false advertising.

Really, I pulled my back several years ago and they worked like magic.

Posted to rec.woodworking
jo4hn

Steve wrote:

Leon wrote:

"Steve" wrote in message

Doan's Pills?

--Steve

Still at your local drug store.

Raelly? What are they supposed to do?

--Steve

Doan ask.
yuk,
jo4hn

Posted to rec.woodworking
jo4hn

Vic Baron wrote:

"jo4hn" wrote in message

I came across this phrase in a book yesterday "FENDER SKIRTS".

snip

How about "Carter's Little Liver Pills"?

Vic

Or Carter's Little Farter Starters.
j4

That's what we used to call them! For reference, I grew up on the west
coast of Canada. You?

South Dakota. Close enough. Also had lots of relatives in central
Canada. Still do.
eh?
jo4hn
Posted to rec.woodworking
jo4hn

Andrew Barss wrote:

jo4hn wrote:

: I came across this phrase in a book yesterday "FENDER SKIRTS".

Did you write this column?

http://www.suddenlysenior.com/fenderskirts.html

If not, somebody's been plagiarizing.

- Andy Barss

Ayup. You may have found the source. I got it from a friend/relative
in Kentucky. Remember, don't shade-your-eyes, plagiarize!. [Tom Lehrer].
snile, don't smarl,
jo4hn
Posted to rec.woodworking
Odinn

On 4/13/2006 11:09 AM Leon mumbled something about the following:
"George" George@least wrote in message
I don't miss boiled coffee at all. Even when it was common to perk, I
preferred drip. Strained with the teeth, or even "hobo" (homeless man)
coffee was better than boiled. Nice paper filters sure made things
easier.

George, how does a coffee maker differ so much from a percolator other than
the water does not continue to percolate through the coffee grounds? IIRC
every coffee maker that I have seen does boil the water before the water
reaches the ground coffee.

Oops, I just answered my question. The percolator boils the water and
coffee. The coffee maker only boils the water.
That said, coffee is even better if you heat the water in a pan and not
bring it to a boil then poor that water over the ground coffee. Not as
convenient though.

The problem with drip coffee makers, is that the filter captures a lot
of the oil from the grounds. The oil is what gives coffee its aroma and
flavor (darker roasts create more oils than lighter roasts, as well).
This is why a french press makes the absolute best coffee, percolators
come in a close second (provided you only heat the water to the optimum
temp). The problem with both a french press and a percolator today are
that most store bought ground coffee is made for drip makers (finer
grind), so you have to a bit of searching, or grind your own.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshiped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

Swingman wrote:

You've thanked me for my recipes, what do you think, cher?

Works for me.

Tis' a rare thing ... that particular origin usually means immediate
disqualification.

Typical Irishman, could charm a snake down out of a tree.

Even has a coon ass grandson by birth.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

Tis' a rare thing ... that particular origin usually means immediate
disqualification.

Typical Irishman, could charm a snake down out of a tree.

Makes sense ... if you were in the "Irish channel" area of NOLA, and closed
your eyes, you'd swear you were in NYC by the accent.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05