Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Gorman

Default OT Humor:Words of Yesterday

Swingman wrote:
"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
Swingman wrote:

Only if you remember "Hadacol".

Remember the story about the sparrow that drank a bottle of Hadacol,
then raped two eagles and took off after a B-29?

LOL ... I thought that was a hummingbird ... and at 24% alcohol, IIRC, I
remember the feeling myself ...

Actually, it was a distant relative (all coonasses are related), Dudley
LeBlanc, who brewed Hadacol.

What I really remember is seeing the Hadacol posters painted on the sides of
barns in rural S. Louisiana ... back when most folks went to town, and
church, in a horse and buggy because the roads were too bad for the few cars
that were around.

Looks like it was 24 proof,
http://www.quackwatch.org/13Hx/MM/15.html
but the diluted hydrochloric acid probably made up for it.
Joe
Posted to rec.woodworking
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Vic Baron wrote:

"Pounds on Wood" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message
t...

coffee. The coffee maker only boils the water.
That said, coffee is even better if you heat the water in a pan and not
bring it to a boil then poor that water over the ground coffee. Not as
convenient though.

True. And you can get a Bunn that does just that. Our current model
holds a reservoir of hot water, holding it at the perfect temp at all
times. When ready to brew you just pour cold water in the top and it
pushes hot water out of the tank and into the basket. It brews a pot in
about 2 minutes and never boils the water.

It's not the best if you go weeks without making coffee, because it wastes
power and some water seems to evaporate. But for folks like me for whom
coffee is a religion, it's a nice unit.
--
********
Bill Pounds

Have to agree on the Bunn - just bought my second one - first one lasted
20 years! Makes the BEST coffee - bar none!

Actually, the *best* coffee is made with cold (well, room-temperature)
water.

tie the requisite amount of fine-ground coffee beans in cheese-cloth, and
let steep in the pot of water for 12-24 hours. remove grounds, and then
warm to serving temperature.

Generally only practical if you're making a significant (30-50 cups) qty.

For home-scale use, the vacuum pot is generally conceded to make the best
coffee. The drawback is it doesn't scale down to below about 6-8 cups
in a batch.

One of the selling points of percolators was that they made 'coffee aroma'
earlier.

True 'drip' makers need the reservoir of already-heated water -- this is
ok where you're making lots of pots of coffee -- e.g. a restaurant -- but
not for occasional use. Water _will_ go 'stale' if left to sit for extended
periods.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Vic Baron wrote:

"jo4hn" wrote in message

I came across this phrase in a book yesterday "FENDER SKIRTS".

snip

How about "Carter's Little Liver Pills"?

"Lydia Pinkham's Medicinal Compounds"
Posted to rec.woodworking
GeeDubb

"Robert Bonomi" wrote in message

snip

Actually, the *best* coffee is made with cold (well, room-temperature)
water.

tie the requisite amount of fine-ground coffee beans in cheese-cloth, and
let steep in the pot of water for 12-24 hours. remove grounds, and then
warm to serving temperature.

post this to alt.coffee and see what kind of response you get!

Gary (:-)
Posted to rec.woodworking
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
GeeDubb wrote:

"Robert Bonomi" wrote in message

snip

Actually, the *best* coffee is made with cold (well, room-temperature)
water.

tie the requisite amount of fine-ground coffee beans in cheese-cloth, and
let steep in the pot of water for 12-24 hours. remove grounds, and then
warm to serving temperature.

post this to alt.coffee and see what kind of response you get!

Why bother? The source of that methodology was the chief flavor chemist
at a major spice/flavoring manufacturing company.

I've also got direct experience to go by (considering that _I_ am not
a coffee drinker) -- it's been "real-world tested" at our house (more
than once) when we were having a large group over. EVERY ONE of the
coffee-drinkers wanted to know 'what brand' that coffee was -- it 'tasted
so good'.

Gary (:-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

GeeDubb wrote:

[...]

I won't knock it until I've tried it but I read alt.coffee regularly and
thought it'd be fun to see some of the regulars there come unglued (back on
topic?)

Gary (hard core coffee roaster/drinker)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article ,
Odinn wrote:

..
This is why a french press makes the absolute best coffee,

Bar none. My BUNN does okay if I need a steady supply...but for that
'Kick-in-the-pants' espresso-like hit of coffee...my French Press does
the best job.

Lately it's been nothing but green tea.... loose leaf..in my French
Press.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article ,
jo4hn wrote:

[snipped for brevity]

WAY fun thread, jo4hn

*singing*

"there ain't no Coupe de Ville hiding at the bottom of a Cracker Jack
box"
Posted to rec.woodworking
Philip Lewis

Robatoy writes:
"there ain't no Coupe de Ville hiding at the bottom of a Cracker Jack
box"

yeah, but remember when cracker jack prizes were actually good?

--
May no harm befall you,
flip

Posted to rec.woodworking
Odinn

On 4/14/2006 11:10 PM Robatoy mumbled something about the following:
In article ,
Odinn wrote:

..
This is why a french press makes the absolute best coffee,

Bar none. My BUNN does okay if I need a steady supply...but for that
'Kick-in-the-pants' espresso-like hit of coffee...my French Press does
the best job.

Lately it's been nothing but green tea.... loose leaf..in my French
Press.

Spoken like a man who knows his coffee I grew up drinking coffee
cooked on a wood stove, no percolator, just pour the grounds in the pot,
add water, heat up, add a pinch of crushed egg shells to settle the
grounds, and pour a cup (a couple of drops of cold water will settle the
grounds to the bottom of the pot as well). It took me forever to accept
the taste of drip coffee, as it didn't have the full flavor I had come
to enjoy. I still don't like it, but since it's about the only way to
get coffee nowadays, I've accepted it. Oh, and the darker the roast,
the happier I am.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshiped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article ,
Philip Lewis wrote:

Robatoy writes:
"there ain't no Coupe de Ville hiding at the bottom of a Cracker Jack
box"

yeah, but remember when cracker jack prizes were actually good?

...and they came in little boxes? Now they come in baggies with a big
honking nutritional information legal brief stamped all over it...in TWO
frickin' languages no less.

"The 'TOY' can't be played with by children under 3 years of age, lest
they ram that entire 1/2" x 1/2" chess set up their snotty little noses!!
Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article ,
jo4hn wrote:

Like "curb feelers" R1SfÆETHSfó³Sfeth³Sfand "steering knobs" (I knew
these
as ³brodie knobs²).

We called those 'necker knobs', grab a little boobage whilst turning
that jacked-up Fairlane into the A & W....
Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article ,
Odinn wrote:

Spoken like a man who knows his coffee

One of my all-time favourite sitcom characters was the oriental
detective on Barney Miller (I think he was played by Jack Soo?)
Whenever his coffee-making skills were discussed in the show, all
co-workers had the opportunity to do their disgusted/double-take
expressions...what a hoot.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article ,
Odinn wrote:

Oh, and the darker the roast,
the happier I am.

I had some great stuff from Kenya...man... talk about dark.
The beans glistened with oil.

Never did the beans which are picked out from cat-****... forgot the
name of that coffee. Seriously.. certain cats would eat the beans and
then the aborigines pick them out from the cat-scat and sell them...it
is supposed to be THE ultimate in coffee..... well.. guess what... Rob
ain't all THAT interested.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Glen

jo4hn wrote:
Andrew Barss wrote:

jo4hn wrote:

: I came across this phrase in a book yesterday "FENDER SKIRTS".

Did you write this column?

http://www.suddenlysenior.com/fenderskirts.html

If not, somebody's been plagiarizing.

- Andy Barss

Ayup. You may have found the source. I got it from a friend/relative
in Kentucky. Remember, don't shade-your-eyes, plagiarize!. [Tom Lehrer].
snile, don't smarl,
jo4hn

Tom Lehrer is STILL my favorite song writer. I was in JHS when I
"discovered" him, and I still think he's great. My favorite is "When
You're Old and Gray."

Glen

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bugs

Steeped, or boiled 'cowboy' coffee is still the best. It's brewed like
tea and the grounds are settled with a crushed egg shell. The
Turks/Greeks/Armenians/ etc. do the same thing with a kibrick.
Anybody remember suicide knobs? Button hooks? Singletrees? Springpoles?
Bugs

Posted to rec.woodworking
jo4hn

Robatoy wrote:
In article ,
jo4hn wrote:

Like "curb feelers" R1SfÆETHSfó³Sfeth³Sfand "steering knobs" (I knew
these
as ³brodie knobs²).

We called those 'necker knobs', grab a little boobage whilst turning
that jacked-up Fairlane into the A & W....

Did I mention the "cuddle shift"? Move the column shift lever to the
left of the steering wheel so you could shift and cop a feel at the same
time.
horns,
jo4hn
Posted to rec.woodworking
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Morris Dovey wrote:
jo4hn (in ) said:

| I came across this phrase in a book yesterday "FENDER SKIRTS".

Anyone heard a Bermuda Bell recently?

sounded sort-a like a triangle to me,
but then it inexplicably vanished!

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"jo4hn" wrote in message
Robatoy wrote:
In article ,
jo4hn wrote:

Like "curb feelers" R1SfÆETHSfó³Sfeth³Sfand "steering knobs" (I knew
these as ³brodie knobs²).

We called those 'necker knobs', grab a little boobage whilst turning that
jacked-up Fairlane into the A & W....

Did I mention the "cuddle shift"? Move the column shift lever to the left
of the steering wheel so you could shift and cop a feel at the same time.

Sort of like those places along the way to your favorite drive-in, where
they had those "S.O.B curves?"

Slide Over, Baby.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Zz Yzx

Bitchen post Jo4hn.

-Zz

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 16:36:11 -0700, jo4hn
wrote:

I came across this phrase in a book yesterday "FENDER SKIRTS".

A term I haven't heard in a long time and thinking about "fender skirts"
started me thinking about other words that quietly disappear from our
language with hardly a notice.

Like "curb feelers" R¹SfÆÐSfó“Sfð“Sfand "steering knobs" (I knew these
as “brodie knobs”).

¸Sf×ÌSfSince I'd been thinking of cars, my mind naturally went that
direction first. Any kids will probably have to find some elderly person
over 50 to explain some of these terms to you.

Remember "Continental kits?” They were rear bumper extenders and spare
tire covers that were supposed to make any car as cool as a Lincoln
Continental.

When did we quit calling them "emergency brakes?” At some point
"parking brake" became the proper term. But I miss the hint of drama
that went with "emergency brake."

I'm sad, too, that almost all the old folks are gone who would call the
accelerator the "foot feed."

Didn't you ever wait at the street for your daddy to come home, so you
could ride the "running board" up to the house?

Here's a phrase I heard all the time in my youth but never anymore -
"store-bought.” Of course, just about everything is store-bought these
days. But once it was bragging material to have a store-bought dress or
a store-bought bag of candy.

"Coast to coast" is a phrase that once held all sorts of excitement and
now means almost nothing. Now we take the term "world wide" for
granted. This floors me.

On a smaller scale, "wall-to-wall" was once a magical term in our homes.
In the '50s, everyone covered his or her hardwood floors with, wow,
wall-to-wall carpeting! Today, everyone replaces their wall-to-wall
carpeting with hardwood floors. Go figure.

When's the last time you heard the quaint phrase "in a family way?”
It's hard to imagine that the word "pregnant" was once considered a
little too graphic, a little too clinical for use in polite company. So
we had all that talk about stork visits and "being in a family way" or
simply"expecting."

Apparently "brassiere" is a word no longer in usage. I said it the
other day and my daughter cracked up. I guess it's just "bra" now
"Unmentionables" probably wouldn't be understood at all.

I always loved going to the "picture show," but I considered "movie" an
affectation.

Most of these words go back to the '50s, but here's a pure-'60s word I
came across the other day - "rat fink.” Ooh, what a nasty put-down!

Here's a word I miss - "percolator.” That was just a fun word to say.
And what was it replaced with? "Coffee maker.” How dull. Mr. Coffee, I
blame you for this.

I miss those made-up marketing words that were meant to sound so modern
and now sound so retro. Words like "DynaFlow" and "Electrolux."
Introducing the 1963 Admiral TV, now with "SpectraVision!"

Food for thought - Was there a telethon that wiped out lumbago? Nobody
complains of that anymore. Maybe that's what castor oil cured, because
I never hear mothers threatening kids with castor oil anymore.

Some words aren't gone, but are definitely on the endangered list. The
one that grieves me most "supper.” Now everybody says "dinner.” Save a
great word. Invite someone to supper. Discuss fender skirts.

Mahalo,
jo4hn

Posted to rec.woodworking
George Shouse

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 01:04:06 -0400, Robatoy
wrote:

In article ,
Odinn wrote:

Oh, and the darker the roast,
the happier I am.

I had some great stuff from Kenya...man... talk about dark.
The beans glistened with oil.

Never did the beans which are picked out from cat-****... forgot the
name of that coffee. Seriously.. certain cats would eat the beans and
then the aborigines pick them out from the cat-scat and sell them...it
is supposed to be THE ultimate in coffee..... well.. guess what... Rob
ain't all THAT interested.

http://www.thecoffeecritic.com/fusion3/html/kopi.shtml
Posted to rec.woodworking
John \(aka wheelzuk\)

Robert Bonomi mentioned ... "Lydia Pinkham's Medicinal Compounds"

Interesting! I'd always wondered what the inspiration was behind the Scaffolds' song "Lily the Pink" The chorus reads "# ...for she invented medicinal compounds, most eficacious in every way...#".

Many thanks for the added educational, Robert.

John
--
Remove 'spamfree' to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
John \(aka wheelzuk\) wrote:
Robert Bonomi mentioned ... "Lydia Pinkham's Medicinal Compounds"

Interesting! I'd always wondered what the inspiration was behind the
Scaffolds' song "Lily the Pink" The chorus reads "# ...for she invented
medicinal compounds, most eficacious in every way...#".

Many thanks for the added educational, Robert.

The _Royal Guardsmen_, of "Snoopy vs. The Red Baron" (et al) fame,
did a varient of 'Lily the Pink', on the Snoopy record.

Had the well-known Ebenezeer verse, and one about;

"a boy named Johnny Hammer,
had a terrible st-st-st-stammer,
So they gave him medicinal compunds,
and now he doesn't t-t-t-talk at all."

Anyway, "Lydia Pinkham's" was real stuff (sold variously as 'medicinal
compounds', and 'vegetable compounds').
`

The fact that it was 20% alcohol may have had something to do with it's
popularity. and being touted as a cure for 'anything'.

Posted to rec.woodworking
jo4hn

Robert Bonomi wrote:
In article ,
John \(aka wheelzuk\) wrote:

Robert Bonomi mentioned ... "Lydia Pinkham's Medicinal Compounds"

Interesting! I'd always wondered what the inspiration was behind the
Scaffolds' song "Lily the Pink" The chorus reads "# ...for she invented
medicinal compounds, most eficacious in every way...#".

Many thanks for the added educational, Robert.

The _Royal Guardsmen_, of "Snoopy vs. The Red Baron" (et al) fame,
did a varient of 'Lily the Pink', on the Snoopy record.

[snip]

First time I heard the Lydia Pinkham song, it was done by the Irish
Rovers. Finally found some lyrics:

BALLAD OF LYDIA PINKHAM

Let us sing (let us sing) of Lydia Pinkham
The benefactress of the human race.
She invented a vegetable compound,
And now all papers print her face,

O, Mrs. Brown could do no housework,
O, Mrs. Brown could do no housework,
She took three bottles of Lydia's conpound,
And now there's nothing she will shirk,
she will shirk,

Mrs. Jones she had no children,
And she loved them very dear.
So she took three bottles of Pinkham's
Now she has twins every year.

Lottie Smyth ne'er had a lover,
Blotchy pimples caused her plight;
But she took nine bottles of Pinkham's--
Sweethearts swarm about her each night.

Oh Mrs. Murphy (Oh Mrs. Murphy)
Was perturbed because she couldn't seem to pee
Till she took some of Lydia's compound
And now they run a pipeline to the sea!

And Peter Whelan (Peter Whelan)
He was sad because he only had one nut
Till he took some of Lydia's compound
And now they grow in clusters 'round his butt.

mahalo,
jo4hn