Posted to rec.woodworking
Ellestad

Default Boondocking a Brad Nailer

I have a project coming up where I have to make numerous trim and lattice
repairs at a rural observatory site. I wasn't looking forward to wrangling
100' of 12/3 or lugging my small but too heavy compressor all over so I
decided to chance the performance of my portable 5 gal. air tank. I spent
about $15 on a regulator and another guage and hooked it up. I charged the
tank to 100 lbs (I would normally go to 125 lbs.) and set the line to 70
lbs. To my amazement I shot 80 1 inch 18 guage brads into a fir stud before
the tank pressure came down to 70 lbs and the gun was still shooting the
same depth. This seems pretty workable to me - and quieter (my compressor
only has a 2 gal. tank) and less wear and tear on my old bones.

So I have a question. Has anyone done this with a 15 or 16 guage finish
nailer? What results?

Thanks for any feedback.

Tim Ellestad

Posted to rec.woodworking
JGS

Hi Tim,
I had seen that type of info on some manufacture's web site however after
looking for about 15 minutes I have drawn a blank. What I did find is one on
proper compressor selection which through inference may be useful. It said that
for 70 brads you could drive 30 16G. Hope this is of some help. JG

Ellestad wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Ellestad" wrote in message

So I have a question. Has anyone done this with a 15 or 16 guage finish
nailer? What results?

Yep ... keep a 5 gal air tank filled for the back of my truck for just that
use and do it all the time with both finish and brad nailers, mostly for
those small, unplanned jobs where something got missed, or I need to add or
replace trim, etc, before anything else can be done.

Earlier this week used it to frame out, for a drywall crew, the insides of
two small octagonal windows that the framers had missed on the second floor
of new construction. Nice not to have to unroll/roll 100' of extension cord
to the t-pole for the portable compressor, which was back at the shop anyway
.... and only one trip up the stairs with both hands full.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Ellestad" wrote in message
I have a project coming up where I have to make numerous trim and lattice
repairs at a rural observatory site. I wasn't looking forward to wrangling
100' of 12/3 or lugging my small but too heavy compressor all over so I
decided to chance the performance of my portable 5 gal. air tank. I spent
about $15 on a regulator and another guage and hooked it up. I charged the
tank to 100 lbs (I would normally go to 125 lbs.) and set the line to 70
lbs. To my amazement I shot 80 1 inch 18 guage brads into a fir stud
before
the tank pressure came down to 70 lbs and the gun was still shooting the
same depth. This seems pretty workable to me - and quieter (my compressor
only has a 2 gal. tank) and less wear and tear on my old bones.

So I have a question. Has anyone done this with a 15 or 16 guage finish
nailer? What results?

Absolutely however I only get about 40-60 shots out of a 15 gauge Senco
finish nailer when using a 5 gal tank. Typically nailers do not use a great
volume of air.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

"Ellestad" wrote in message
[...]

Why bother taking the compressor to the job? I have been using these
Polyurethane Flexeel air hoses. Very light weight and very tough.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Teamcasa" wrote in message

Tim Ellestad

Why bother taking the compressor to the job? I have been using these
Polyurethane Flexeel air hoses. Very light weight and very tough.

Dave

Wow Dave, how long ARE those hoses? :~)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

Why bother taking the compressor to the job? I have been using these
Polyurethane Flexeel air hoses. Very light weight and very tough.

Dave

Leon Wow Dave, how long ARE those hoses? :~)

LOL - I see what you mean!

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.woodworking
Chip Chester

You could use a bike pump for refill, if your finish nailer eats more air.
They also make integrated air compressor/battery booster products
for cars that might be good for a few refills.
Of course, if you can drive up to the site, just leave the big compressor
on the truck and come back for refills.
Or, of course, the infamous Porter Cable Bammer...

"Chip"