Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair
Andrew Barss

Default small tool tote/bag

I'm looking for a quite small tool bag, one ideally with a lot of exterior and interior
pockets to hold small tools. The purpose is to have a set of
house maintenance tools actually in the house, instead of out in the shop.
Something about 11-12" square and made of nylon would be great. Anyone have a source?

HD sold one briefly a couple of months ago, but no more.

-- Andy Barss
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair
Leon

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/b...toolbags2.aspx

With more choices than you can shake a stick at.

"Andrew Barss" wrote in message

I'm looking for a quite small tool bag, one ideally with a lot of exterior
and interior
pockets to hold small tools. The purpose is to have a set of
house maintenance tools actually in the house, instead of out in the shop.
Something about 11-12" square and made of nylon would be great. Anyone
have a source?

HD sold one briefly a couple of months ago, but no more.

-- Andy Barss

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike O.

On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 03:40:16 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/b...toolbags2.aspx

With more choices than you can shake a stick at.

I purchased their top of the line nylon belt with two pouches but
found it could not stand up to daily use on the job. Probably last
forever for home use though.

Mike O.
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Andrew Barss wrote:
I'm looking for a quite small tool bag, one ideally with a lot of exterior and interior
pockets to hold small tools. The purpose is to have a set of
house maintenance tools actually in the house, instead of out in the shop.
Something about 11-12" square and made of nylon would be great. Anyone have a source?

HD sold one briefly a couple of months ago, but no more.

-- Andy Barss

Harbor Freight, about $7 on sale.
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair
Toller

"Andrew Barss" wrote in message

I'm looking for a quite small tool bag, one ideally with a lot of exterior
and interior
pockets to hold small tools. The purpose is to have a set of
house maintenance tools actually in the house, instead of out in the shop.
Something about 11-12" square and made of nylon would be great. Anyone
have a source?

Sears, HF, or just about anywhere.

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair
Scott Townsend

I picked up an Irwin bag at my local Hardware store (YardBirds) Its nice. I
have one for the Office too.

Here is a list of their stuff:
http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/...IrwinCat100377

I have these:
http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/...rwinProd100380
http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/...rwinProd100381

Scott-

"Andrew Barss" wrote in message

I'm looking for a quite small tool bag, one ideally with a lot of exterior
and interior
pockets to hold small tools. The purpose is to have a set of
house maintenance tools actually in the house, instead of out in the shop.
Something about 11-12" square and made of nylon would be great. Anyone
have a source?

HD sold one briefly a couple of months ago, but no more.

-- Andy Barss

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 03:10:39 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Barss
wrote:

I'm looking for a quite small tool bag, one ideally with a lot of exterior and interior
pockets to hold small tools. The purpose is to have a set of
house maintenance tools actually in the house, instead of out in the shop.
Something about 11-12" square and made of nylon would be great. Anyone have a source?

If you make your own, it will have exactly the pockets you want.
Even w/out a sewing machine, it's only about 15 minutes work with a
needle.

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair
Andrew Barss

In rec.woodworking Goedjn wrote:

: If you make your own, it will have exactly the pockets you want.
: Even w/out a sewing machine, it's only about 15 minutes work with a
: needle.

You must sew faster than I do -- I think it'd take a day or two
with a needle and thread for me!
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair
Swingman

"Andrew Barss" wrote in message

I'm looking for a quite small tool bag, one ideally with a lot of exterior

and interior
pockets to hold small tools. The purpose is to have a set of
house maintenance tools actually in the house, instead of out in the shop.
Something about 11-12" square and made of nylon would be great. Anyone

have a source?

HD sold one briefly a couple of months ago, but no more.

I bought one recently at Lowes specfically for the same purpose, except for
the truck instead of the house. There were a number of styles, all made by
"Husky". Might want to DAGS on that.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

CLC (Custom Leather Craft) makes some nice bags. I have one that I use
for my electrician tools. It's sturdy enough to keep it's shape and
stay upright, and has good zippers and lots of useful size pockets.
Home Depot doesn't seem to carry them any more, but you can find them
on the web.

Woodcraft bags are a good bargain when on sale, but not in the same
league of quality.

Duluth Trading Co has a nifty catalog, but in my limited experience
with their products, they seem like more hype than substance.

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair
Upscale

"Andrew Barss" wrote in message
I'm looking for a quite small tool bag, one ideally with a lot of exterior

and interior
pockets to hold small tools. The purpose is to have a set of
house maintenance tools actually in the house, instead of out in the shop.
Something about 11-12" square and made of nylon would be great. Anyone

have a source?

Have you had a look at Lee Valley?
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43326,43329

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair
ameijers

"Upscale" wrote in message

"Andrew Barss" wrote in message
I'm looking for a quite small tool bag, one ideally with a lot of

exterior
and interior
pockets to hold small tools. The purpose is to have a set of
house maintenance tools actually in the house, instead of out in the

shop.
Something about 11-12" square and made of nylon would be great. Anyone

have a source?

Have you had a look at Lee Valley?
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43326,43329

Do they have the Big Lots discount chain where you are? I saw something like
what you are describing there, just the other day, for about ten bucks. If
no Big Lots, whatever chain near you sells the chinese knockoff tools will
probably have similar. (Big Lots used to be industrial/manufacturer surplus,
but since the chain expanded a few years back, I guess demand outstrips
supply, so they have to sell imitation surplus now.)

aem sends...

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair
Upscale

"ameijers" wrote in message

Do they have the Big Lots discount chain where you are? I saw something

like

No.

no Big Lots, whatever chain near you sells the chinese knockoff tools will
probably have similar. (Big Lots used to be industrial/manufacturer

surplus,

Lee Valley certainly doesn't sell knock offs of anything as far as I'm
aware. Two days ago, I did in fact look at the tool bag that I gave the link
to. It's as solid and as functional a tote bag as I've seen. Not always, but
in many instances, you get what you pay for when it comes to tools and
accessories.

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair
Mike Marlow

"Upscale" wrote in message
"ameijers" wrote in message

Do they have the Big Lots discount chain where you are? I saw something

like

No.

no Big Lots, whatever chain near you sells the chinese knockoff tools

will
probably have similar. (Big Lots used to be industrial/manufacturer

surplus,

Lee Valley certainly doesn't sell knock offs of anything as far as I'm
aware. Two days ago, I did in fact look at the tool bag that I gave the

link
to. It's as solid and as functional a tote bag as I've seen. Not always,

but
in many instances, you get what you pay for when it comes to tools and
accessories.

There are lots of solid and functional tote bags and the likes available
lots of places. Cheaply as well. The point of looking at a place like Big
Lots is that some things just simply do not justify buying an item at
boutique prices. The quality difference just is not there, so why spend 2X,
3X, or 4X for a name? When quality is obvious, then spend the money on
quality, but when it's not then go with the best price. This thread did
start out after all, with a fellow looking for a decent tote to stick some
tools in for around the house occasional use.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair
Upscale

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
3X, or 4X for a name? When quality is obvious, then spend the money on
quality, but when it's not then go with the best price. This thread did
start out after all, with a fellow looking for a decent tote to stick some
tools in for around the house occasional use.

You're right of course and tote bags approach the level of being a
commodity. However, my limited experience with thrift shops most often tells
me that I'm wasting my time in them unless I'm looking for something that
will fill the quick and dirty usage category and not especially irritate me
when I have to throw it out.

If I have the time to spend hunting for something suitable in a cut rate
store, then by all means, that's where I'd go. If I'm looking for something
I know is a quality product, with the knowledge that the guarantee is
absolute and the product is dedicated to a particular task, in this case a
tote bag for *tools*, then I know there's an excellent chance of finding the
most useful tool bag at Lee Valley. And I know, I won't have to waste a
great deal of time doing it. So it all comes down to how much time one
wants to spend looking and how *decent* a tote bag they're looking for.
IMHO

And yes, I admit it, I'm a little bit of an elitist in the products I buy,
so that usually sways what and where I buy too.

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair
Mike Reed

I got a BucketBoss pair of bags at the Black and Decker outlet in San
Marcos, TX. For $20 I got a big bag and a small one just like you're
describing. I use the heck out of them for projects at the
mother-in-law's home or really anything outside the shop.

They're much nicer than a tool box: lighter, more flexible -- there's
ALWAYS room for that last tool.

-Mike

Andrew Barss wrote:
I'm looking for a quite small tool bag, one ideally with a lot of exterior and interior
pockets to hold small tools. The purpose is to have a set of
house maintenance tools actually in the house, instead of out in the shop.
Something about 11-12" square and made of nylon would be great. Anyone have a source?

HD sold one briefly a couple of months ago, but no more.

-- Andy Barss

Need source for small tool steel bars, please [email protected] Metalworking 3 January 7th 06 01:31 AM
OT - Toolbox Cliff Metalworking 6 September 18th 05 12:52 AM
Small Benchtop Tool and Cutter Grinder - What to Buy? Too_Many_Tools Metalworking 6 January 10th 05 12:16 AM
What tool for peening over small rivets? Dave in MD Metalworking 10 January 4th 05 06:48 AM