Posted to rec.woodworking
Searcher

Default Whadda yall think??

I built an "air cleaner" using 3/8 press board at 20x19x20. I am using
14x20 fiberglass furnace filters (2). Since I have several (new, but have no
use for) dryer blowers, that is what I used inside this box. How is this for
clearing the air? My garage err I mean MY SHOP is 36x38 with 10 ft ceilings.
I have no plans to bring a car in here unless it needs servicing.
I have had it hangin for about a week now and only needed to use it twice
and I have noticed the filter is dirty, so obviously it is doing its
intended job.
Should I vent this outside,which I can easily do if need be for the summer
months.
These questions may seem stupid but I would like others thoughts on how they
did it without spending more money.

Thanks

Searcher

Posted to rec.woodworking
Gerald Ross

Searcher wrote:
I built an "air cleaner" using 3/8 press board at 20x19x20. I am using
14x20 fiberglass furnace filters (2). Since I have several (new, but have no
use for) dryer blowers, that is what I used inside this box. How is this for
clearing the air? My garage err I mean MY SHOP is 36x38 with 10 ft ceilings.
I have no plans to bring a car in here unless it needs servicing.
I have had it hangin for about a week now and only needed to use it twice
and I have noticed the filter is dirty, so obviously it is doing its
intended job.
Should I vent this outside,which I can easily do if need be for the summer
months.
These questions may seem stupid but I would like others thoughts on how they
did it without spending more money.

Thanks

Searcher

I made mine out of plywood using a tandem furnace blower exhausting out
the bottom. Hanging in it is a Penn State pleated bag filter. Above this
is a pleated furnace filter and on top is a fiberglas furnace filter.
The top has holes for sanding jobs and hinges to open it up for free air
flow. It has really cut down on dust settling in the shop.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Few women admit their age. Few men act
theirs.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Chuck Taylor

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 22:57:28 GMT, "Searcher"
wrote:

I built an "air cleaner" using 3/8 press board at 20x19x20. I am using
14x20 fiberglass furnace filters (2). Since I have several (new, but have no
use for) dryer blowers, that is what I used inside this box. How is this for
clearing the air? My garage err I mean MY SHOP is 36x38 with 10 ft ceilings.
I have no plans to bring a car in here unless it needs servicing.
I have had it hangin for about a week now and only needed to use it twice
and I have noticed the filter is dirty, so obviously it is doing its
intended job.
Should I vent this outside,which I can easily do if need be for the summer
months.

If you vent the filtered air to the outside, then there'd be no reason
to filter it.

--
Chuck Taylor
http://home.hiwaay.net/~taylorc/contact/
Posted to rec.woodworking
Searcher

I was thinking that by venting the air outside I would better remove the
heat.

Searcher

Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

"Searcher" wrote in message
I was thinking that by venting the air outside I would better remove the
heat.

Fine, but take the filter off.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Wow, that's a nice-sized shop. Your air cleaner may help to remove
some dust from the air, but it is not a substitute for a respirator or
a good DC setup that collects dust at the source, if you are thinking
that it will help protect your lungs. And, really, how much air can a
dryer move?
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

[...]

I built on somewhat like it, but with 1 fiberglass and one pleated filter... Is
the fiberglass one going to do the job?

My feeling is that the fiberglass one is mainly to catch the "big chunks" before
they hit the pleated filter, as the fiberglass one is cleanable but the pleated
one seems more effective if I change it..

When the weather warms up, I move it to the window and let it blow out... not so
much to exhaust the dust it doesn't filter as to help circulate the air in the
shop instead of having an additional fan..

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

In article ,
wrote:

I just finished my own shop-built air cleaner.

Sounds much like mine. It's on casters, and my bandsaw and ROS are
mounted on top.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Toller wrote:
"Searcher" wrote in message
I was thinking that by venting the air outside I would better remove the
heat.

Fine, but take the filter off.

Probably a good idea UNLESS there is something that he'd
rather not cover with dust (like his car) near the exhaust.

--

FF

HEY Y'ALL RonB Woodworking 0 December 24th 05 08:50 PM
HEY Y'ALL RonB Woodturning 0 December 24th 05 08:50 PM
What do ya'll think of this mill? (ebay) Gary Brady Metalworking 3 November 4th 05 03:54 AM
Need suggestions from y'all [email protected] Home Ownership 6 July 5th 05 11:47 PM
Hi y'all Groggy Woodworking 34 March 24th 05 01:26 PM