Groggy

Default Hi y'all

It's been a little while since I dropped in and I've received a few
emails asking if I'm OK. (personally I suspect they may be
bottom-feeders hoping there may be an estate sale in the wind...)

I don't have a lot of time to myself this year due to a new job and
living away from home all week. Still, I usually try to scan the group
once every two weeks or on a weekend.

Today I spent the morning with a guy from another newsgroup who
dropped in to see my saw (?) and we had some fun chatting about all
sorts of WW issues. After he left the owner of the WW store that I
normally haunt^H^H^H^H^H err, visit, dropped over with some items he
thought I may be interested in - on spec!

One of them was the hardbound Lon Schleining "The Workbench - A
complete guide to creating your perfect bench". I bought it and now am
torn between opening it and reading or leaving it till I am away from
home for something to do in the evenings sigh, it's a tough
decision.

I missed jo4hn when he visited Melbourne due to work commitments,
something I regret as it would have been great to put a face to the
name.

I hope everyone is OK and having a good year (except the trolls of
course - I hope they have to repeat a year of school).

cheers,

Groggy
Norman D. Crow

Grog,
Send me an email w/good addy, I'll send you a "face" saved from Jo4hn's
post to the wRECk rogues gallery.
My addy is un-munged.

--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

"Groggy" wrote in message
[...]

jo4hn

Norman D. Crow wrote:

Grog,
Send me an email w/good addy, I'll send you a "face" saved from Jo4hn's
post to the wRECk rogues gallery.
My addy is un-munged.

Hey, you don't wanna scare the poor guy.
jo4hn
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 07:59:06 GMT, the inscrutable Groggy
spake:

It's been a little while since I dropped in and I've received a few
emails asking if I'm OK. (personally I suspect they may be
bottom-feeders hoping there may be an estate sale in the wind...)

Boy, do you know US! eg

I don't have a lot of time to myself this year due to a new job and
living away from home all week. Still, I usually try to scan the group
once every two weeks or on a weekend.

Are you doing that in hopes of staying up on the important threads,
like "staining pine", "pointy sticks", "Crapsman", and "which saw?" ?
Did it work?

Today I spent the morning with a guy from another newsgroup who
dropped in to see my saw (?) and we had some fun chatting about all
sorts of WW issues. After he left the owner of the WW store that I
normally haunt^H^H^H^H^H err, visit, dropped over with some items he
thought I may be interested in - on spec!

Cool. I met a guy from another group last week and that was fun, too.
Metalworkers have completely different yet extremely familiar shops.

One of them was the hardbound Lon Schleining "The Workbench - A
complete guide to creating your perfect bench". I bought it and now am
torn between opening it and reading or leaving it till I am away from
home for something to do in the evenings sigh, it's a tough
decision.

Heathern! (That's Aussie for "Heathen!" in case you didn't recognize
it.) Don't you know that Landis' tome is THE choice of Wooddorkers
everywhere? Oh, wait a minute, he'll let you read it for free? Go for
it.

I missed jo4hn when he visited Melbourne due to work commitments,
something I regret as it would have been great to put a face to the
name.

Bummer. Yeah, matching faces-to-names is always fun.

I hope everyone is OK and having a good year (except the trolls of
course - I hope they have to repeat a year of school).

sigh

cheers,

Groggy

Ta!

--
Life's a Frisbee: When you die, your soul goes up on the roof.
----
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 10:39:46 -0500, the inscrutable "Norman D. Crow"
spake:

Grog,
Send me an email w/good addy, I'll send you a "face" saved from Jo4hn's
post to the wRECk rogues gallery.
My addy is un-munged.

Won't that guarantee you a spot on the DHS hotlist?

--
Life's a Frisbee: When you die, your soul goes up on the roof.
----

Groggy

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 11:39:02 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 07:59:06 GMT, the inscrutable Groggy
spake:
Are you doing that in hopes of staying up on the important threads,
like "staining pine", "pointy sticks", "Crapsman", and "which saw?" ?
Did it work?

More in hopes of catching a design argument or a discourse on joinery
selection (yeah, I know Larry, I know...)

Today I spent the morning with a guy from another newsgroup who
dropped in to see my saw (?) and we had some fun chatting about all
sorts of WW issues. After he left the owner of the WW store that I
normally haunt^H^H^H^H^H err, visit, dropped over with some items he
thought I may be interested in - on spec!

Cool. I met a guy from another group last week and that was fun, too.
Metalworkers have completely different yet extremely familiar shops.

We are remarkably similar, as our differences show.

One of them was the hardbound Lon Schleining "The Workbench - A
complete guide to creating your perfect bench". I bought it and now am
torn between opening it and reading or leaving it till I am away from
home for something to do in the evenings sigh, it's a tough
decision.

Heathern! (That's Aussie for "Heathen!" in case you didn't recognize
it.) Don't you know that Landis' tome is THE choice of Wooddorkers
everywhere? Oh, wait a minute, he'll let you read it for free? Go for
it.

Umm, I happen to have Scott's book somewhere too!

Groggs
Norman D. Crow

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 10:39:46 -0500, the inscrutable "Norman D. Crow"
spake:

Grog,
Send me an email w/good addy, I'll send you a "face" saved from

Jo4hn's
post to the wRECk rogues gallery.
My addy is un-munged.

Won't that guarantee you a spot on the DHS hotlist?

DHS?

Every ten years or so, most of us have at least one episode of a big dose of
dumbass. Today was mine. Tried going someplace I had no business trying to
go, hit a BIG bank of packed snow, bounced part way into a ditch about 8'
deep. 1st wrecker got stuck trying to get close enough, 2nd wrecker tried
winching it out, but mine kept trying to slide the rest of the way into the
ditch. 3rd wrecker finally enough cable & smarts to tie off a snatch block
to a tree across the road and pull it out sideways so it didn't slide/roll
into the ditch. Total cost so far . . $195.00, plus I apparently have a
broken front brake line, so have to find it and fix it.

Now do you know why I ask what DHS is?

--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

Patriarch

"Norman D. Crow" wrote in
:

DHS?

Snip of a sad tale of misfortune and woe...

Now do you know why I ask what DHS is?

I think Larry was referring to the Department of Homeland Security. Unless
he has another acronym for it, reflecting his Libertarian bent.

Not that there is anything wrong with Libertarians. I mean, I go there all
the time for the books.

Patriarch
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 00:35:07 -0500, the inscrutable "Norman D. Crow"
spake:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Were you thinking dumbass honky sh*thaid? Condolences on your stunt.
The last one I can remember was building two matching wooden hinge
blocks for the carving bench. They were supposed to be reverse parts,
not identical. Luckily, my little stunt cost considerably less to fix.

P.S: I'll bet that was some ride you took.

--
Life's a Frisbee: When you die, your soul goes up on the roof.
----
Norman D. Crow

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

snipperoo

[...]

You hit the words right on the head! Remember Bill Cosby's story about the
clean underwear? First you say it , then you do it? Almost but not quite.

Last time I had a ride like that was the Tilt-a-whirl at the fair.(LOL)

--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 14:05:52 -0500, the inscrutable "Norman D. Crow"
spake:

P.S: I'll bet that was some ride you took.

You hit the words right on the head! Remember Bill Cosby's story about the
clean underwear? First you say it , then you do it? Almost but not quite.

Last time I had a ride like that was the Tilt-a-whirl at the fair.(LOL)

So, what'd the brake line cost you?

--
Life's a Frisbee: When you die, your soul goes up on the roof.
----
Norman D. Crow

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 14:05:52 -0500, the inscrutable "Norman D. Crow"
spake:

P.S: I'll bet that was some ride you took.

You hit the words right on the head! Remember Bill Cosby's story about

the
clean underwear? First you say it , then you do it? Almost but not quite.

Last time I had a ride like that was the Tilt-a-whirl at the fair.(LOL)

So, what'd the brake line cost you?

Verdict's not in on that yet. Got it to SIL's garage today, got it thawed
out a little, found problem & got it apart, but I had gotten the wrong size
steel line. Will get right size tomorrow & be back on the road tomorrow
night. I originally thought it was probably the hose to one of the front
calipers, but it was the crossover line from the left side over to the right
side. Basically, it's going to cost me a quart of brake fluid & the steel
line.

--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 20:52:10 -0500, the inscrutable "Norman D. Crow"
spake:

[...]

And $195 in towing plus a helluva lot of blood loss to the face, eh?

BTDT, luckily nobody had a camera. I slid my Javelin into a bank of
iceplant at about 50mph showing a friend how fast I could take the
curvy road by my house once. The friendly pine tree had saved up all
the moisture in the air and deposited it under its branches just prior
to the turn that got away from me. It turned my white car green and
put about 5 lbs of iceplant in the wheel covers, but that's it. The
guy in the back seat was amazed at how I could toss him from side to
side as I made the curves up to that point. That thing stuck to the
road tight as a farmer superglued to his chicken! And I've always been
thankful that was iceplant instead of concrete block, lemme tell ya.

--
EAT SOYLENT McD!
----------------------
Patriarch

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

snip

BTDT, luckily nobody had a camera. I slid my Javelin snip

It takes either a confident man, or one who dongiveadamn to admit he owned
a Javelin...;-)

Patriarch,
who doesn't want to discuss Pintos...
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 10:29:04 -0600, the inscrutable Patriarch
spake:

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

snip

BTDT, luckily nobody had a camera. I slid my Javelin snip

It takes either a confident man, or one who dongiveadamn to admit he owned
a Javelin...;-)

Hey, that was a Mark Donahue Special, not just an AMC. After I rebuilt
the 390, it was putting out over 400 horses @ 425 ft/lbs of torque.
The Borg Warner T-10 close-ratio gearbox was bulletproof and the 4:10
rear nut would wrap the rear leaves around itself getting all that HP
to the ground. It was by far the fastest, best handling, most fun car
I've ever owned or ridden in, period. And you can quote me on that.

Patriarch,
who doesn't want to discuss Pintos...

Ya wuss.

Me, either. I had to buy one after my back injury. I couldn't wrestle
(manhandle) the manual steering on the Scout and needed something
simple and cheap to get to and from Coleman College where I was
retraining for a new career. No more tossin' trannies or diffs around
the yard for me. Luckily, I'm back to 85%+ strength today (but I still
don't toss trannies around any more.)

--
EAT SOYLENT McD!
----------------------

Norman D. Crow

[...]

SIL took some pics for "blackmail". Soon as he gets them downloaded I'll
post them.

--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 17:21:37 -0500, the inscrutable "Norman D. Crow"
spake:

side. Basically, it's going to cost me a quart of brake fluid & the steel
line.

And $195 in towing plus a helluva lot of blood loss to the face, eh?

SIL took some pics for "blackmail". Soon as he gets them downloaded I'll
post them.

Bueno, Bwana.

--
I speak 2 languages fluently: English and foul.
---------------------------
Mark & Juanita

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 10:29:04 -0600, Patriarch
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

snip

BTDT, luckily nobody had a camera. I slid my Javelin snip

It takes either a confident man, or one who dongiveadamn to admit he owned
a Javelin...;-)

I always thought Javelins was pretty cool lookin'

No idea how they drove.

Patriarch,
who doesn't want to discuss Pintos...

The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety
Army General Richard Cody
Patriarch

Mark & Juanita wrote in
:

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 10:29:04 -0600, Patriarch
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote in
m:

snip

BTDT, luckily nobody had a camera. I slid my Javelin snip

It takes either a confident man, or one who dongiveadamn to admit he
owned a Javelin...;-)

I always thought Javelins was pretty cool lookin'

No idea how they drove.

They were considered, to paraphrase Mr. Dingley, to be the automotive
creations of the Blind Fugly Brothers, in the days of my youth.

But what did I know? I thought the Avanti was kinda unique.

One thing for certain: It takes all kinds, to make the world go around.
Thank goodness for niche markets.

Patriarch
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 20:33:58 -0700, the inscrutable Mark & Juanita
spake:

wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote in
m:

snip

BTDT, luckily nobody had a camera. I slid my Javelin snip

It takes either a confident man, or one who dongiveadamn to admit he owned
a Javelin...;-)

I always thought Javelins was pretty cool lookin'

No idea how they drove.

Javelin and AMX were AMC's versions of the Corvette, with the AMX
being the shorter, sportier, ballsier little guy. They drove very
well. I've driven quite a number of big-block weighted vehicles and
the Javelin was the only one which didn't feel like it had that big
chunk of iron up there.

--
I speak 2 languages fluently: English and foul.
---------------------------
http://diversify.com Mostly cuss-free Websites

Norman D. Crow

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 17:21:37 -0500, the inscrutable "Norman D. Crow"
spake:

side. Basically, it's going to cost me a quart of brake fluid & the

steel
line.

And $195 in towing plus a helluva lot of blood loss to the face, eh?

SIL took some pics for "blackmail". Soon as he gets them downloaded I'll
post them.

Bueno, Bwana.

I'm safe! When SIL took "blackmail" pics, he didn't realize there was no
film in the camera!!!!!

The tally so far is $195 for towing, $100(50 ea. to SIL & his friend the
fire-chief who was there helping, so they could take their wives out to
dinner), about $15 for brake parts, and another $200 for the deductible
against the slightly over $1K estimate.

--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 17:20:00 -0500, the inscrutable "Norman D. Crow"
spake:

I'm safe! When SIL took "blackmail" pics, he didn't realize there was no
film in the camera!!!!!

That's good.

The tally so far is $195 for towing, $100(50 ea. to SIL & his friend the
fire-chief who was there helping, so they could take their wives out to
dinner), about $15 for brake parts, and another $200 for the deductible
against the slightly over $1K estimate.

Huh? Did you turn in an estimate and are fixing it out of monies paid,
less the deductible? I don't grok your math otherwise.

---
After they make styrofoam, what do they ship it in? --Steven Wright
Norman D. Crow

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 17:20:00 -0500, the inscrutable "Norman D. Crow"
spake:

I'm safe! When SIL took "blackmail" pics, he didn't realize there was no
film in the camera!!!!!

That's good.

The tally so far is $195 for towing, $100(50 ea. to SIL & his friend the
fire-chief who was there helping, so they could take their wives out to
dinner), about $15 for brake parts, and another $200 for the deductible
against the slightly over $1K estimate.

Huh? Did you turn in an estimate and are fixing it out of monies paid,
less the deductible? I don't grok your math otherwise.

Yup, already got the insurance check for $800+, so need to call body shop
and get parts on order, then arrange a time slot.

--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 05:39:18 -0500, the inscrutable "Norman D. Crow"
spake:

Yup, already got the insurance check for $800+, so need to call body shop
and get parts on order, then arrange a time slot.

Wow, turning in a small problem like that to the insurance company?
I sure wouldn't have. They might give me higher prices next year.
My sister had her insurance yanked because she loaned her car to 2
people who had accidents in it. Nice friends, huh? (Both college
grads with no insurance, BTW.)

--

People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but
most of the time they'll pick themselves up and carry on.
Norman D. Crow

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 05:39:18 -0500, the inscrutable "Norman D. Crow"
spake:

Yup, already got the insurance check for $800+, so need to call body shop
and get parts on order, then arrange a time slot.

Wow, turning in a small problem like that to the insurance company?
I sure wouldn't have. They might give me higher prices next year.
My sister had her insurance yanked because she loaned her car to 2
people who had accidents in it. Nice friends, huh? (Both college
grads with no insurance, BTW.)

Welllllllll, let's put it this way - What I've spent so far, plus the $200,
I can handle. That other $800+ isn't gonna happen.

--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

Don

"Norman D. Crow" wrote
Welllllllll, let's put it this way - What I've spent so far, plus the
$200,
I can handle. That other $800+ isn't gonna happen.

Yes it will, in increased rates.

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 20:10:52 -0500, the inscrutable "Norman D. Crow"
spake:

Welllllllll, let's put it this way - What I've spent so far, plus the $200,
I can handle. That other $800+ isn't gonna happen.

I think I missed something here. You said you got the check for $800+
but then said the $800+ isn't gonna happen. What'd I miss? Did you
order the brake parts from the body shop, or was there body/wheel
damage as well?

--

People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but
most of the time they'll pick themselves up and carry on.
--anon
Norman D. Crow

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 20:10:52 -0500, the inscrutable "Norman D. Crow"
spake:

Welllllllll, let's put it this way - What I've spent so far, plus the

$200,
I can handle. That other $800+ isn't gonna happen.

I think I missed something here. You said you got the check for $800+
but then said the $800+ isn't gonna happen. What'd I miss? Did you
order the brake parts from the body shop, or was there body/wheel
damage as well?

Read my lips, Lazza . . got the insurance check for $800+, and I have to pay
the $200 deductible. If I had to come up with the $800 on my own, it
wouldn't happen(at least not very soon).

--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

Norman D. Crow

"Don" wrote in message
nk.net...
"Norman D. Crow" wrote
Welllllllll, let's put it this way - What I've spent so far, plus the
$200,
I can handle. That other $800+ isn't gonna happen.

Yes it will, in increased rates.

Probably, if I should live so long.

--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

Don

"Norman D. Crow" wrote
"Don" wrote
"Norman D. Crow" wrote
Welllllllll, let's put it this way - What I've spent so far, plus the
$200,
I can handle. That other $800+ isn't gonna happen.

Yes it will, in increased rates.

Probably, if I should live so long.

May happen sooner than you think.
I changed insurance companies twice in the past year for that very reason.
They kept raising my rate even though I have never filed a claim.
Due, they said, to all the other claims, like yours.

Larry Jaques

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 21:41:37 -0500, the inscrutable "Norman D. Crow"
spake:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 20:10:52 -0500, the inscrutable "Norman D. Crow"
spake:

Welllllllll, let's put it this way - What I've spent so far, plus the

$200,
I can handle. That other $800+ isn't gonna happen.

I think I missed something here. You said you got the check for $800+
but then said the $800+ isn't gonna happen. What'd I miss? Did you
order the brake parts from the body shop, or was there body/wheel
damage as well?

Read my lips, Lazza . . got the insurance check for $800+, and I have to pay
the $200 deductible. If I had to come up with the $800 on my own, it
wouldn't happen(at least not very soon).

What I'm still confused about is why you even MIGHT have to come up
with $800 on your own since the total OOP was only $300, including
graft/tips. And your $1k+ insurance check was pre-deducted so the
$200 never came out of pocket, right? Why did you say you "plus the
$200, I can handle" that when it was a deductible, not an expense?
If the truck repair cost $1,000 I could understand, since it would be
OOP. Oh, never mind. :-/

Was that an African + http://www.diversify.com
or European Swallow? + Gourmet Web Applications
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 21:42:16 -0500, the inscrutable "Norman D. Crow"
spake:

"Don" wrote in message
ink.net...
"Norman D. Crow" wrote
Welllllllll, let's put it this way - What I've spent so far, plus the
$200,
I can handle. That other $800+ isn't gonna happen.

Yes it will, in increased rates.

Probably, if I should live so long.

Yeah, the way YOU drive. gd&r

If you get a chance (and haven't yet caught it) watch the History
Channel's hourlong show about Ice Road Truckers. I was amazed and
entranced.

Was that an African + http://www.diversify.com
or European Swallow? + Gourmet Web Applications
Mark & Juanita

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 05:25:11 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 21:42:16 -0500, the inscrutable "Norman D. Crow"
spake:

"Don" wrote in message
link.net...
"Norman D. Crow" wrote
Welllllllll, let's put it this way - What I've spent so far, plus the
$200,
I can handle. That other $800+ isn't gonna happen.

Yes it will, in increased rates.

Probably, if I should live so long.

Yeah, the way YOU drive. gd&r

If you get a chance (and haven't yet caught it) watch the History
Channel's hourlong show about Ice Road Truckers. I was amazed and
entranced.

Saw that sometime last year. Absolutely amazing -- the really amazing
thing is the art and science that goes into determining the proper speeds
and timing to avoid breaking through.

================================================= =======
Was that an African + http://www.diversify.com
or European Swallow? + Gourmet Web Applications
================================================= =======

The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety
Army General Richard Cody
Norman D. Crow

[...]

OK, once more to clarify. Original OOP was the $310 for towing, graft, tips,
brake parts. There IS body damage to LF fender & headlight assy. where it
was leaning against the tree(the one that was keeping the truck from turning
turtle in the ditch). Ford body shop says replace the fender as it's too
badly crushed to pull out & fix. Their estimate, not taking into account
deductible, was about $925-930. The insurance adjuster came and looked it
over, his estimate was about $1035-1040, less the $200 deductible, so they
issued a check for about $835. To get the truck fixed I'll have to pay any
difference between that check and the actual cost, or in effect, the $200
deductible. By time it's fixed, I'll be OOP about $500, but without that
$800+ insurance check, it probably wouldn't get fixed, as I couldn't come up
with that $800 OOP besides the other stuff.

--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 23:23:06 -0500, the inscrutable "Norman D. Crow"
spake:

OK, once more to clarify. Original OOP was the $310 for towing, graft, tips,
brake parts. There IS body damage to LF fender & headlight assy. where it
was leaning against the tree(the one that was keeping the truck from turning
turtle in the ditch). Ford body shop says replace the fender as it's too
badly crushed to pull out & fix.

Ah, it was a fender bender after all. That was the missing piece.
You hadn't mentioned fenders until now. OK, all clear. Thanks.
(I kept thinking you Easterners had re-reinvented the New Math.)

--
Put some color in your cheeks: Garden Naked!
------