Posted to rec.woodworking

Default rafter hook makita nailer

hi there I have just bought a makita framing nailer the" AN 942" 3
1/2 " clipped head nailer
I have used it on a roofing job and it is a great nailer.
I problem i have with it is that it dosent have a rafter hook to hang
it when i need to go away from it for a while.
I leave it jammed between rafters and any place i think it might stay
but it will only be a matter of time before it takes a fall.
does anybody know if i can buy a rafter hook that will fit this nailer?

Posted to rec.woodworking
IBM5081

Most of my nailers have a universal rafter hook on them, available at
most framing contractor supply stores. It's an L-shaped piece of
aluminum strip with a hole drilled in one end. To install it, remove
the QD air-hose male fitting that screws into the back end of the
framing nailer. Push the threaded end of that fitting thru the hole in
the aluminum strip and back into the hole in the nailer from which it
was removed. You may want to add a steel washer if the result is a bit
sloppy. Both of my framing guns are set up this way.
In use, swing the aluminum strip over to the right side of the nailer
and slide it over the 2x framing. The leg of the strip with the hole is
just about right for a loose fit onto the framing member (2x4, 2x6,
etc). The air hose is typically oriented straight up when the nailer is
hung this way.
For lighter pneumatics such as staplers and coil siding nailers, there
is a thinner version of the strip that does not extend out as far but
works the same way.