Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve DeMars

Default A/C Woodworking Shop - Is it Possible

I have a 20' X 22' shop with 10' foot ceiling. Insulated. 2'-8" door on rear
side & double 3'-0" doors on front. Have large hole (28" X 18") framed in
for Thru the wall / window A/C.

Problem, I have been told by several that the life expectancy on that unit
is maybe one summer.

Any suggestions are help appreciated . . . . Perhaps a unit or a
modification that you have found to work.

Thanks,
Steve in HOT HOT Humid Louisiana

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article 21hVf.1404$Aa1.660@dukeread05,
"Steve DeMars" wrote:

Problem, I have been told by several that the life expectancy on that unit
is maybe one summer.

And why would that be? The dust will plug the condenser or evap, but
blowing it out religiously and using furnace filter material will not
harm the AC.. but "ya hafta keepit clean"
Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve DeMars wrote:
I have a 20' X 22' shop with 10' foot ceiling. Insulated. 2'-8" door on rear
side & double 3'-0" doors on front. Have large hole (28" X 18") framed in
for Thru the wall / window A/C.

Problem, I have been told by several that the life expectancy on that unit
is maybe one summer.

Any suggestions are help appreciated . . . . Perhaps a unit or a
modification that you have found to work.

Thanks,
Steve in HOT HOT Humid Louisiana

I dont quite understand your problem ?

you need to size the a/c according to the space it is required to cool.

The unit will pull in outside air , cool it, and blow it into your
shop. make sure you clean it occasionally and it should last many
years.

try to run too small a unit continually and it will burn out quickly.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Odinn

On 3/25/2006 3:37 PM mumbled something about the
following:
Steve DeMars wrote:
I have a 20' X 22' shop with 10' foot ceiling. Insulated. 2'-8" door on rear
side & double 3'-0" doors on front. Have large hole (28" X 18") framed in
for Thru the wall / window A/C.

Problem, I have been told by several that the life expectancy on that unit
is maybe one summer.

Any suggestions are help appreciated . . . . Perhaps a unit or a
modification that you have found to work.

Thanks,
Steve in HOT HOT Humid Louisiana

I dont quite understand your problem ?

you need to size the a/c according to the space it is required to cool.

The unit will pull in outside air , cool it, and blow it into your
shop. make sure you clean it occasionally and it should last many
years.

try to run too small a unit continually and it will burn out quickly.

Actually, that is wrong on 2 counts

1) A/C pulls air from the inside and cools it and sends it back into the
room.

2) It's better to have an undersized A/C than an oversized A/C.
Constant running of the motors won't burn them out as quick as short
on/off times will.

Looks like you need to go back to school on A/Cs.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshiped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ...
http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking
Oleg Lego

The Odinn entity posted thusly:

Steve DeMars wrote:
[...]

Strange... My air conditioner will pull air from inside or outside,
depending on the setting of a lever on the control panel. I have yet
to see an air conditioner that will only pull air from inside.

But what do I know? My entire schooling in air conditioning consists
of using several of them, and noticing the controls.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Edwin Pawlowski

"Oleg Lego" wrote in message
Strange... My air conditioner will pull air from inside or outside,
depending on the setting of a lever on the control panel. I have yet
to see an air conditioner that will only pull air from inside.

But what do I know? My entire schooling in air conditioning consists
of using several of them, and noticing the controls.

Noticing the controls tells nothing. Some low end models have no option for
outside air. The ones that do, are laughable.

My company made the scroll plates for a major AC company in the US. About
5,000 a day with no fresh air, then they added the option because a
competitor had a version. The slot to allow fresh air in was about 1/2"
wide by 1 1/2" high. I asked the engineer about it. He said it allowed
them to put a check in the box on the comparative rating sheets at the
store.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Steve DeMars wrote:

[...]

I've got one large window unit bought many years ago that goes from full
recirc to mostly fresh air. I've got a new Whirlpool unit that only
recirculates.

Davev
Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg O

"Oleg Lego" wrote in message

Strange... My air conditioner will pull air from inside or outside,
depending on the setting of a lever on the control panel. I have yet
to see an air conditioner that will only pull air from inside.

But what do I know? My entire schooling in air conditioning consists
of using several of them, and noticing the controls.

I work on them for a living and have yet to see one that will pull 100%
outside air into the home. Most that bring in outside air have a little
flapper door about 1-1/2" square for "fresh air".
Greg

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article .com,
wrote:

Steve DeMars wrote:
I have a 20' X 22' shop with 10' foot ceiling. Insulated. 2'-8" door on rear
side & double 3'-0" doors on front. Have large hole (28" X 18") framed in
for Thru the wall / window A/C.

Problem, I have been told by several that the life expectancy on that unit
is maybe one summer.

Any suggestions are help appreciated . . . . Perhaps a unit or a
modification that you have found to work.

Thanks,
Steve in HOT HOT Humid Louisiana

I dont quite understand your problem ?

you need to size the a/c according to the space it is required to cool.

The unit will pull in outside air , cool it, and blow it into your
shop. make sure you clean it occasionally and it should last many
years.

try to run too small a unit continually and it will burn out quickly.

I don't see why he will necessarily have a problem either, but ACs do
not pull in and cool outside air; They recirculate and cool INSIDE
air.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Posted to rec.woodworking
GeeDubb

"Steve DeMars" wrote in message
I have a 20' X 22' shop with 10' foot ceiling. Insulated. 2'-8" door on
rear
side & double 3'-0" doors on front. Have large hole (28" X 18") framed in
for Thru the wall / window A/C.

Problem, I have been told by several that the life expectancy on that unit
is maybe one summer.

Any suggestions are help appreciated . . . . Perhaps a unit or a
modification that you have found to work.

Thanks,
Steve in HOT HOT Humid Louisiana

I have central AC in my shop in Phoenix but rarely use it (use evaporative
cooling if anything). When I have the filter clogs quite rapidly so it is
necessary to be diligent in keeping it clean. Now you're probably asking
why I don't use the AC when it's 115 out.......because the DC pulls too much
air and it exhausts outside.....so now you're wondering why I have
AC......because the shop is set up to be converted into another
bedroom/bathroom since not everyone wants a shop (except in this group) and
most would like the extra BR/BathR. (shop built with resale in mind)

Gary

Posted to rec.woodworking
AAvK

I have a 20' X 22' shop with 10' foot ceiling. Insulated. 2'-8" door on rear
side & double 3'-0" doors on front. Have large hole (28" X 18") framed in
for Thru the wall / window A/C.

Problem, I have been told by several that the life expectancy on that unit
is maybe one summer.

Any suggestions are help appreciated . . . . Perhaps a unit or a
modification that you have found to work.

Thanks,
Steve in HOT HOT Humid Louisiana

I'm going into the AC problem myself, but you should get a dehumidifier!

--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
Posted to rec.woodworking
Searcher

My A/C unit draws air from inside the living space, Guess thats why I have
that little filter in the front panel. That needs to be cleaned frequently,
the window air that we have in the bedroom also has the filter, the only air
that I feel venting outside is the hot air off the condensor. Now, I am not
an A/C guru so you may be correct that it pulls from outside as well.
The A/C that I will be using in the shop is going to have a frame built
around the inside so that I can install a better filter.

Searcher

Posted to rec.woodworking
Ed Walsh

I've got a similar sized shop located in Georgia Been running A/C for 6
years with no probleems. As already mentioned, a must in blowing it out and
changing filters on a regular basis ( Mine is washable). I have the added
plus of dual dust collection systems so less ambient dust is hitting the A/C
unit. Go for it and be comfortable.

Ed
Atlanta
"Steve DeMars" wrote in message
I have a 20' X 22' shop with 10' foot ceiling. Insulated. 2'-8" door on
rear
side & double 3'-0" doors on front. Have large hole (28" X 18") framed in
for Thru the wall / window A/C.

Problem, I have been told by several that the life expectancy on that unit
is maybe one summer.

Any suggestions are help appreciated . . . . Perhaps a unit or a
modification that you have found to work.

Thanks,
Steve in HOT HOT Humid Louisiana

Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg O

"Steve DeMars" wrote in message
I have a 20' X 22' shop with 10' foot ceiling. Insulated. 2'-8" door on
rear
side & double 3'-0" doors on front. Have large hole (28" X 18") framed in
for Thru the wall / window A/C.

Problem, I have been told by several that the life expectancy on that unit
is maybe one summer.

Any suggestions are help appreciated . . . . Perhaps a unit or a
modification that you have found to work.

Thanks,
Steve in HOT HOT Humid Louisiana

May take on it? Buy a $100 unit, and blow the dust out of it once a month.
If it dies in a couple years buy another one! If you do a good cleaning on
it regularly it may run for years.
Greg

Posted to rec.woodworking
Charley

My shop is heated/cooled with a 2 ton window style air conditioner/heat pump
mounted thru-the-wall up high. It has provided all of the shop's
heating/cooling needs for about 12 years now. I expect to get at least
another 5 years out of it and the unit wasn't new when I put it in (you just
have to maintain it). I buy the small 1" thick high filtration furnace type
filters (which will actually fit behind the cover) and replace/clean them
about 2 X per week. I also blow out the coils with shop compressed air every
couple of months and clean the condensate pan and drain. This part is a bit
of a pain, but overall, going with a heat pump been the best decision that
I've ever made for shop environmental control. This is the first time that
I've had cooling capability, but I've gone through several other heating
systems including wood stoves and oil furnaces before this and I won't be
going back. I keep the shop temperature at a comfortable level whenever I'm
working out there and keep it above freezing when I'm not, with no
significant problems and no worries about heating system related shop fires.
The side benefits have been air filtration and dehumidification. I live in
hot hot and humid central NC.
--
Charley