Posted to rec.woodworking
Norm Dresner

Default '40s "Black" Mahogany Finish

During the '40s and '50s mahogany furniture was finished to an almost black
color. (At least the back of the drawer fronts looks like mahogany to me,
though the rest of the drawer is clearly cherry). I'm trying to restore a
piece and need to recreate this finish. Anyone know what the process was?

Thanks
Norm

Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH

Norm Dresner wrote:
During the '40s and '50s mahogany furniture was finished to an almost
black color. (At least the back of the drawer fronts looks like
mahogany to me, though the rest of the drawer is clearly cherry).
I'm trying to restore a piece and need to recreate this finish.
Anyone know what the process was?

Thanks
Norm

I inherited a 1920s buffet that color. Hate it. AFAIK, there was no
"process" other than stain. Can't give you chapter & verse on the
colors but it is obviously black with red.

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking
professorpaul

Just a VERY dark mahogony stain, if I recall correctly. I had a piano
bench that I refinised some years ago. Had a terrible time getting it
dark enough. Must have put on three or four doses of stain, and it
still wasn't quite right.

Posted to rec.woodworking
alexy

"professorpaul" wrote:

Just a VERY dark mahogony stain, if I recall correctly. I had a piano
bench that I refinised some years ago. Had a terrible time getting it
dark enough. Must have put on three or four doses of stain, and it
still wasn't quite right.

I've had bad luck with dramatic darkening with stain. I'd recommend
dye and tint, both using Transtint, black and red mixed. First dye
with the transtint in alcohol, to darken to close to dark enough and
close to the right red/black mix. Then start padding on shellac with
transtint to sneak up on the right color. Finish with clear coats of
shellac or other film type finish.

If you're going for a no-film finish, I'd guess you need to get to the
right color with the dye with no binder, since I'd suspect that tinted
oil wouldn't add much color (BUT THAT IS JUST A GUESS, NOT BASED ON
EXPERIENCE).
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Norm Dresner" wrote in message
During the '40s and '50s mahogany furniture was finished to an almost
black
color. (At least the back of the drawer fronts looks like mahogany to me,
though the rest of the drawer is clearly cherry). I'm trying to restore a
piece and need to recreate this finish. Anyone know what the process was?

Thanks
Norm

Norm built an oak corner table 3 or 4 weeks ago. IIRC he used black spray
paint. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

professorpaul wrote:
Just a VERY dark mahogony stain, if I recall correctly. I had a piano
bench that I refinised some years ago. Had a terrible time getting it
dark enough. Must have put on three or four doses of stain, and it
still wasn't quite right.

According to Bob Flexnor, the first application of stain, if done
right,
will 'saturate' (my words, not his) the pores of the wood so that
subsequent
applications will have no further effect.

Dyes are different.

Regarding OP, can he scrape off a bit of the original finish to
verify that the color is in the wood and not in the finish (toning).
It may be a black laquer.

Maybe black shoe polish would work. Or as tohers have suggested,
spray paint.

Back when wood and metal were the only common materials
for furniture, the only alternatives to a natural wood grain were
metal or a finish that abscured the wood grain. Nowadays with
plywoods, plastics, composites and so on it makes no sense
at all to make something out of wood and obscure the grain.

of course OP was not making something new, he was matching
something old.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking
bent

I'm pretty sure Flexnor, Engler, &/or Jewitt, and prob others have a
chemical reference for this. I'll see if I can find it later. I'm gonna
have to try it. Do you have any idea how expensive a real ebony dresser
would be? I've seen pieces 1x2 x36 for like $60 or something. ok for a
pool cue. I can only imagine.

could be this: - dogpile.com it (see prefs to new page, and see why)

Flexnor, p82, Potassium Dichromate, ; p305, Sources Of Supply: Old Mill
Cabinet Shoppe, PA, Wood Finishing Enterprises, WI

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bradford Chaucer

My uncle made a set of book cases for my father with a pickled black finish
over mahogany. Assuming you are not interested in the pickling itself
(white filled pores) as I recall:

Watco Ebony stain with a pore filler to get smooth surface then lacquer.

The peices have taken on a fantastic greenish patina over the years.