Posted to rec.woodworking
Tyke

Default Survey time - what is your favourite plane?

Many years ago before I came down with the "disease" I did not own a hand
plane. I was content to life in the "power tool" world.

A few years ago I thought I should do a "test" and purchase a hand plane -
just to try and get a feel for what the Gallumpers were doing.

I walked into a since-bankrupt Woodworking store and stated I wanted to
purchase a hand plane - what did they recommend? The answer was "I do not
use these and so cannot give any advise".

Despite the lack of advise I purchased a Record No 5 Jack plane.

I shaved a few pieces of lumber but had not caught the disease at that time.

I later saw the Lee Valley Tools catalog. I looked at the pictures of the
other planes which I could purchase. I dreamed of some of these. The
dreams became purchases.

I now own a LV Low Angle Smoother, a LV Scraper Plane, a LV Medium Shoulder
Plane, and a LV Router Plane.

So I admit, I now have the hand plane disease. I foresee no antidote in the
near future. The #6 and Low Angel Jointer are fighting in my brain to be
the next purchase. Oh the mental torment.

I love the Low Angle Smoother and recently purchased a high angle blade so
now I can make this work almost like the Record #5. OK not quite the same.
I purchased a Ron Hock A2 blade for the Record plane from Lee Valley and it
transformed the planes performance.

I have to say that I love the Medium Shoulder Plane. It is not practical to
use all the time, but I love the feel when it is relevant for a task.

I cannot imagine going back to the "only using power tool" days.

How do you feel?

Dave Paine.

Posted to rec.woodworking
kk

"Tyke" wrote in message
Many years ago before I came down with the "disease" I did not own a hand
plane. I was content to life in the "power tool" world.

A few years ago I thought I should do a "test" and purchase a hand plane -
just to try and get a feel for what the Gallumpers were doing.

I cannot imagine going back to the "only using power tool" days.

My L-N No 4 with York pitch frog... always seems to take care of the problem
wood nicely for me.

I do gross dimensioning with power tools but the joinery and finishing are
generally taken care of with hand tools.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 02:11:29 GMT, "kk" wrote:

"Tyke" wrote in message
Many years ago before I came down with the "disease" I did not own a hand
plane. I was content to life in the "power tool" world.

A few years ago I thought I should do a "test" and purchase a hand plane -
just to try and get a feel for what the Gallumpers were doing.

I cannot imagine going back to the "only using power tool" days.

My L-N No 4 with York pitch frog... always seems to take care of the problem
wood nicely for me.

LN #4 and my LN low-angle block plane get the most use. The LN scraper
plane is #3. I'm still struggling with my Knight smoother. I know it's a
good plane, but I'm just not there yet with getting it adjusted well enough
to give me the results I want.

I do gross dimensioning with power tools but the joinery and finishing are
generally taken care of with hand tools.

Yep. Planes and scrapers as best possible

Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy

I'm just starting to learn....

Stanley #4 type 11
Stanley #80 scraper
itty-bitty Miller Falls apron plane

All the above from junk/antique shops or eBay at $5 for the MF, $13 for the #80 including shipping
and about $30 for the #4. I'm frugal.

I've got another 8 or 10 around that I haven't used enough to have warm fuzzies about.

Regards,
Roy

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 20:52:17 -0500, "Tyke" wrote:

Many years ago before I came down with the "disease" I did not own a hand
plane. I was content to life in the "power tool" world.

A few years ago I thought I should do a "test" and purchase a hand plane -
just to try and get a feel for what the Gallumpers were doing.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

In article , Tyke wrote:

How do you feel?

If I HAD to choose:

-- the #8 I inherited when Grampa died.

-- the custom jack/jointer Steve Knight made for me from purpleheart

-- my LV low angle block

Posted to rec.woodworking
Edwin Pawlowski

"Tyke" wrote in message
How do you feel?

P-51D without a doubt. Sleek, fast, powerful Everything you'd want in a
plane.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

"Edwin Pawlowski"

P-51D without a doubt. Sleek, fast, powerful Everything you'd want in a
plane.

F104 - Best looking plane ever built!

SR17 - Runs a close second

Dave

My veritas low angle block gets the most use. LN#6 fore is my favorite to
use.

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.woodworking
B A R R Y

Teamcasa wrote:
"Edwin Pawlowski"
P-51D without a doubt. Sleek, fast, powerful Everything you'd want in a
plane.

F104 - Best looking plane ever built!

I vote that award to the B58 Hustler.

http://www.aviation-history.com/convair/b58.htm

Looks mysteriously like a B1! G

But my current favorites are my own single engine Beechcraft C23
Sundowner and my Lee Valley Low Angle block.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Scott Lurndal

"Teamcasa" writes:

"Edwin Pawlowski"

P-51D without a doubt. Sleek, fast, powerful Everything you'd want in a
plane.

F104 - Best looking plane ever built!

I would award this designation to the XB-70, rather than the widowmaker.

(FYI - It appears the Air Force took the parts warehoused for the third
XB-70 and built a carrier plane for a two-stage-to-orbit project. AvLeak
had a good article on it last week.)

SR17 - Runs a close second

Indeed.

scott

Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

"Edwin Pawlowski"
P-51D without a doubt. Sleek, fast, powerful Everything you'd want in
plane.

Teamcasa
F104 - Best looking plane ever built!
Dave

Scott
I would award this designation to the XB-70, rather than the widowmaker.

(FYI - It appears the Air Force took the parts warehoused for the third
XB-70 and built a carrier plane for a two-stage-to-orbit project. AvLeak
had a good article on it last week.)

Its hard not to call the XB-70 anything but a very dangerous plane- 50%
crash rate.
Still it is an exotic looking plane.
Dave

http://www.usenet.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
Scott Lurndal

"Teamcasa" writes:
"Edwin Pawlowski"
P-51D without a doubt. Sleek, fast, powerful Everything you'd want in
plane.

Teamcasa
F104 - Best looking plane ever built!
Dave

Scott
I would award this designation to the XB-70, rather than the widowmaker.

(FYI - It appears the Air Force took the parts warehoused for the third
XB-70 and built a carrier plane for a two-stage-to-orbit project. AvLeak
had a good article on it last week.)

Its hard not to call the XB-70 anything but a very dangerous plane- 50%
crash rate.
Still it is an exotic looking plane.

Given that the only reason that the one crashed (there were only two built),
is that some hot-dog in a F-104 clipped the vertical stabilizer during a photo-shoot,
I'd call that crash rate rather meaningless.

scott
Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Gordon

SR17 - Runs a close second

I assume you meant to say SR-71. That's my choice.

Lee

_________________________________
Lee Gordon
http://www.leegordonproductions.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

I assume you meant to say SR-71. That's my choice.

Lee

Sorry - I'm a touhc dyslectic - I can't ytpe either.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"Lee Gordon" wrote in message
I assume you meant to say SR-71. That's my choice.

Lee

I like the blackbird for personal reasons, but it's hard to say that the
Valkyrie isn't the sleekest piece of aluminum ever to slip the surly.
Seeing it in person at Wright-Patterson was almost a religious experience.

When my dad came to visit at Beale, he liked to watch while T-38's, painted
white, chased the blackbird around the pattern. "like a shark and his
pilotfish...."

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lobby Dosser

"Tyke" wrote:

How do you feel?

Favorite is a Stanley 71. It doesn't get much use, but I like the look and
feel.

Goto plane is a Rali rabbet plane that has seen more use than any other
plane I own. If I need to take off a whisker here and there anywhere on
anything, out comes the Rali.

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"Tyke" wrote in message
How do you feel?

My favorite is the one that does the job at hand. I have a pretty good
stable of choices. Looks go to the LN low-angle, use hours to the old
Stanley smoother (someday an LV), unless I'm in turning mode, when my scrub
sees a lot of duty tuning up a blank for balance. Bark side is a hornbeam
Polish model, clean side an LN which doesn't need any sole grinding.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Banes

Stanley Bedrock 603 C with a Hock blade.

LN small rabbet plane that I use as a pocket bench plane.

Knight coffin smoother that I'm learning to adjust. When I get it
right (I'm up to 2 times right out of 10 tries!) it is a fantastic
wispy curl maker.
Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour

Survey time - what is your favourite plane?

Horizontal. Particularly when I'm napping.

My Stanley 112 scraper plane - newest acquisition, so of course it's my
favorite.

Posted to rec.woodworking
alexy

An old Stanley #8 that Patrick Leach sent me when I requested a
"user". Not a thing of beauty until you start pushing it across the
wood. Original iron. Used mainly to take one shaving to perfect the
edge coming off of the tailed jointer or final few thou of flattening
of a surface after getting darned near flat with my most used plane--a
corrugated bottom K5C (Keen Kutter copy of stanley #5C)

Posted to rec.woodworking
George Berlinger

I have my Dad`s old plane;

Miller Falls #9......made from 1947-1949....he bought it new.
And I have my Father-in Laws old plane a ;
Craftsmans ...looks like a #4....1960 era......

I bought some waterstones n put a mirror finish on both. The Crafstman is a
lil bit heavier and does a fine job. Haven,t used the Millers Falls much,
but it works well too.Have to keep this two planes, seeing they been in the
family so long. Getting them sharp is key though. Fun to use once in awhile.
But i love my Norm tools...lol....George...
"Tyke" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Drackman

"Tyke" wrote in message
Many years ago before I came down with the "disease" I did not own a hand
plane. I was content to life in the "power tool" world.

1. LN # *
2. LN Low Angle Block
3 Old English Coffin Smoother

Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour

Frank Drackman wrote:

1. LN # *
2. LN Low Angle Block
3 Old English Coffin Smoother

Shouldn't that be Olde English?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Drackman

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...
Frank Drackman wrote:

1. LN # *
2. LN Low Angle Block
3 Old English Coffin Smoother

Shouldn't that be Olde English?

or Ye Olde

Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

Tyke wrote:

I cannot imagine going back to the "only using power tool" days.

How do you feel?

I'm partial to one I made. A single iron (no chip breaker) "Krenov"
type just shy of seven inches, with a 2" wide (corners rounded so that's
somewhat reduced), 1/4" thick blade, and the primmest little lizard's
lip of a mouth: it does very nice things in well behaved wood, and
acceptably in even wild maple.

I'm going to try it again using the york pitch for the blade bed (or
maybe a bevel up version for more flexibility) and hopefully have
something good for the most difficult wood. I have a big slab of
cocobolo I got just for tools.

er
--
email not valid
Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Tyke wrote:
[...]

This is like asking which one of your kids do you love the most! My
favorite plane is the one I reach for for the task at hand. All of them
are Veritas planes...

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking
John Thomas

"Tyke" wrote in :
[snippage]
I have to say that I love the Medium Shoulder Plane. It is not
practical to use all the time, but I love the feel when it is relevant
for a task.

I cannot imagine going back to the "only using power tool" days.

How do you feel?

Dave Paine.

Two favorites:

A type-16 #4 Stanley. Has some of the nicest rosewood I've seen on a
plane. And, it was the first plane I was able to get tuned up to the
point where it'd work like a plane.

My other favorite, and one that gets a lot more use, is the Lee Valley
Low Angle Block. This one feels really good in the hand, and works
exceptionally well. I've also got the chamfering attachment for it,
which is really handy ...

--
Regards,

JT
Speaking only for myself....
Posted to rec.woodworking
danger

A cleaned up old #8
Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Hall

My favorite plane is a Stanley transitional coffin plane. It is the
only thing that my dad owned that was his father's, who died when my
dad was 8. Thus it is the only thing that I own that once belonged to
my grandfather, who I never knew. The mouth is too wide (due to the
wood base having been flattened a number of times over the years) and
it is not the easiest to adjust, but I have other planes for actual
use. I get this one out periodically to sharpen and run it over some
wood just for the fun of it and to let it be used. Granddad might have
liked that.

Dave Hall

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour

Dave Hall wrote:
My favorite plane is a Stanley transitional coffin plane. It is the
only thing that my dad owned that was his father's, who died when my
dad was 8. Thus it is the only thing that I own that once belonged to
my grandfather, who I never knew. The mouth is too wide (due to the
wood base having been flattened a number of times over the years) and
it is not the easiest to adjust, but I have other planes for actual
use. I get this one out periodically to sharpen and run it over some
wood just for the fun of it and to let it be used. Granddad might have
liked that.

There's more to woodworking than tools. I think you've got your heart
in the right place.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Stanley 7 that I got at an estate sale. I also got a Sargent 5, a Keen
Kutter 6, and a block plane.

I use the block plane the most, and often the Sargent but I really love
running that Stanley over a board. It just feels so *right*.

I've got LC scraper and scrub and I like 'em but I was a little
surprised that when I need to plane anything, no matter what the job,
the first one I want to grab is that Stanley jointer.