Posted to rec.woodworking
ktl

Default Hinge problem: desktop style

I have a desktop style lectern for church with a slanted top like the
old school desks. It opens up, not down like a secretary Wood is 3/4"
by 22" wide, so we need good support. There is a flat portion at the
top, then it slants down toward the person standing behind. The top part
back edge is 90 deg. from the top. The matching edge of the back piece
is at 7 deg. off 90 (83 deg.). I want a nice, tight joint with as little
hinge showing as possible, and my first plan was a piano hinge, but to
swing this way, the standard one will not lay flat when closed.

Anyone done a simple but pretty job without putting the hinges on the
top surface? The top parts are above the sides, so I can't use a pin in
the end, and anyway, won't the 7 deg. meet interfere?

Thanks a bunch!
Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour

ktl wrote:
I have a desktop style lectern for church with a slanted top like the
old school desks. It opens up, not down like a secretary Wood is 3/4"
by 22" wide, so we need good support. There is a flat portion at the
top, then it slants down toward the person standing behind. The top part
back edge is 90 deg. from the top. The matching edge of the back piece
is at 7 deg. off 90 (83 deg.). I want a nice, tight joint with as little
hinge showing as possible, and my first plan was a piano hinge, but to
swing this way, the standard one will not lay flat when closed.

Anyone done a simple but pretty job without putting the hinges on the
top surface? The top parts are above the sides, so I can't use a pin in
the end, and anyway, won't the 7 deg. meet interfere?

Concealed hinges will do the trick - simple to install, too.
http://www.hardwaresource.com/upload...nges%20JPG.jpg

Concealed hinges aren't designed to take any real load, but three or
four of them along the top edge will support the top and help keep it
straight.

Posted to rec.woodworking
ktl

RicodJour wrote:
snip

Concealed hinges will do the trick - simple to install, too.
http://www.hardwaresource.com/upload...nges%20JPG.jpg

Concealed hinges aren't designed to take any real load, but three or
four of them along the top edge will support the top and help keep it
straight.

That looks good and simple. Thanks!