Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
RayV

Default Filling nail holes on painted project

Anyone have a trick product for filling nails holes on something that
is to be painted? I've used glazing putty in the past and the results
are good but the stuff is a mess to work with and dries up. In a
moment of desperation I tried Play-Doh (glazing putty was dried up),
went in easy and cleanup was a snap but it shrinks too much.

Anyone ever try plumbers putty?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Pig

Minwax wood filler, dries in a half hour, put it on with your finger
proud of the surface and sand flush. I just filled hundreds of nail
holes in a cornice and chair rail installation, works great and better
than caulk or putty.

Mutt

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Doug Payne

On 16/03/2006 8:27 AM, RayV wrote:

Anyone have a trick product for filling nails holes on something that
is to be painted?

Painters' putty.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Leon

"RayV" wrote in message
ups.com...
Anyone have a trick product for filling nails holes on something that
is to be painted? I've used glazing putty in the past and the results
are good but the stuff is a mess to work with and dries up. In a
moment of desperation I tried Play-Doh (glazing putty was dried up),
went in easy and cleanup was a snap but it shrinks too much.

Anyone ever try plumbers putty?

DAP Spackling.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
DAC

rockhard water putty

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
RicodJour

DAC wrote:
rockhard water putty

Brand name - Durham's

http://www.waterputty.com/repair.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

I prefer the MinWax Plastic Wood.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Max

"DAC" wrote in message
ups.com...
rockhard water putty

I ditto that. I've used it for years.

Max

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Doug Miller

In article . com, "RayV" wrote:
Anyone have a trick product for filling nails holes on something that
is to be painted? I've used glazing putty in the past and the results
are good but the stuff is a mess to work with and dries up. In a
moment of desperation I tried Play-Doh (glazing putty was dried up),
went in easy and cleanup was a snap but it shrinks too much.

Anyone ever try plumbers putty?

Try painter's putty.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

In article . com,
RayV wrote:
Anyone have a trick product for filling nails holes on something that
is to be painted? I've used glazing putty in the past and the results
are good but the stuff is a mess to work with and dries up. In a
moment of desperation I tried Play-Doh (glazing putty was dried up),
went in easy and cleanup was a snap but it shrinks too much.

Anyone ever try plumbers putty?

Uhh... How about wood putty?

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Leon

"RayV" wrote in message
ups.com...
Anyone have a trick product for filling nails holes on something that
is to be painted? I've used glazing putty in the past and the results
are good but the stuff is a mess to work with and dries up. In a
moment of desperation I tried Play-Doh (glazing putty was dried up),
went in easy and cleanup was a snap but it shrinks too much.

Anyone ever try plumbers putty?

In addition to my suggestion of DAP Spackling, take note that if you use a
filler that dries to a hard substance, remove as much as possible before it
dries. If you leave a lump on the surface that is much harder than the
surrounding wood as is often the case if you are going to paint the surface,
sanding can leave a shallow area around the filled in hole as the wood sands
away faster than the hard filler. In this case hand sanding with a piece of
sand paper wrapped around a block of wood works much better than an electric
sander with a cushioned bottom.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
R & S

Elmers carpenter's wood filler, dries hard ,shrink free. Comes in a plastic
tube and is paintable in a few hours. Painter putty remains soft.

"RayV" wrote in message
ups.com...
Anyone have a trick product for filling nails holes on something that
is to be painted? I've used glazing putty in the past and the results
are good but the stuff is a mess to work with and dries up. In a
moment of desperation I tried Play-Doh (glazing putty was dried up),
went in easy and cleanup was a snap but it shrinks too much.

Anyone ever try plumbers putty?

Nahmie The Brad Nail Gunner - Part Of GoodBye - 13 Tom Watson Woodworking 0 January 18th 06 03:15 AM
Man Shoots Eye With Nail Gun, Pulls It Out JIM Woodworking 19 March 7th 05 03:27 AM
Filling holes in wood Stuart UK diy 3 April 13th 04 09:29 AM
filling iregular holes Zipadee Doodar UK diy 5 October 13th 03 06:40 PM
screw holes in maple hardwood floor blue Woodworking 10 July 16th 03 07:18 PM