Posted to rec.woodworking

Default When did 3/4" ply change to 5 wood and 2 particle slabs?

Cut a dado in a piece and saw particleboard instead of wood grain!
Thin outer veneer then particleboard slab then 3 wood slabs then ...!
What does this do to Sagulator estimates and any other routines like
it? The router bit I've used in the past for 3/4" ply wasn't wide
enough for the ply to fit which translates into another dimension
change! Got recent ply at Lowes as no hardwood stores in Augusta area
like I had in southern CALIF.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

wrote in message
oups.com...
Cut a dado in a piece and saw particleboard instead of wood grain!
Thin outer veneer then particleboard slab then 3 wood slabs then ...!
What does this do to Sagulator estimates and any other routines like
it? The router bit I've used in the past for 3/4" ply wasn't wide
enough for the ply to fit which translates into another dimension
change! Got recent ply at Lowes as no hardwood stores in Augusta area
like I had in southern CALIF.

30 years ago we were taught that the resistance of a beam to bending was
larger due to the material on the outside, and its distance from the center.
(the integral of the cross section times its distance from the center to be
more technical). The material on the inside pretty much just stopped the
material on the outside from buckling.

So, some particle board on the inside won't affect it, but being thicker
will help considerably.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

wrote in message
oups.com...
Cut a dado in a piece and saw particleboard instead of wood grain!
Thin outer veneer then particleboard slab then 3 wood slabs then ...!
What does this do to Sagulator estimates and any other routines like
it? The router bit I've used in the past for 3/4" ply wasn't wide
enough for the ply to fit which translates into another dimension
change! Got recent ply at Lowes as no hardwood stores in Augusta area
like I had in southern CALIF.

At least 10 years ago.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim

wrote in message
oups.com...
Cut a dado in a piece and saw particleboard instead of wood grain!
Thin outer veneer then particleboard slab then 3 wood slabs then ...!
What does this do to Sagulator estimates and any other routines like
it? The router bit I've used in the past for 3/4" ply wasn't wide
enough for the ply to fit which translates into another dimension
change! Got recent ply at Lowes as no hardwood stores in Augusta area
like I had in southern CALIF.

Plywood comes in various configurations these days, and amoung them a

Veneer core (which means that only wood gets used)
Lumber core (hard to find these days)
Particleboard/MDF/flakeboard core (which is what you bought)

MDF core is the cheapest which is why you will find only this type at the
borg or Lowe's. You must hunt for the other stuff.
Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Jim" wrote in message
. com...

.

Plywood comes in various configurations these days, and amoung them a

Veneer core (which means that only wood gets used)
Lumber core (hard to find these days)
Particleboard/MDF/flakeboard core (which is what you bought)

MDF core is the cheapest which is why you will find only this type at the
borg or Lowe's. You must hunt for the other stuff.
Jim

Actually what I think he has described and what I have bought is Wood outer
veneer, then a single layer of MDF, then 3 Softer wood veneer ply's, then a
single layer of MDF , and then the Wood outer veneer.
This type of plywood seems to have a uniform thickness.

If you need lumber core, try Clarks Hardwood Lumber or Hardwood Products in
Houston.