Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

Default When did 3/4" ply change to 5 wood and 2 particle slabs?

"Jim" wrote in message
. com...

.

Plywood comes in various configurations these days, and amoung them a

Veneer core (which means that only wood gets used)
Lumber core (hard to find these days)
Particleboard/MDF/flakeboard core (which is what you bought)

MDF core is the cheapest which is why you will find only this type at the
borg or Lowe's. You must hunt for the other stuff.
Jim

Actually what I think he has described and what I have bought is Wood outer
veneer, then a single layer of MDF, then 3 Softer wood veneer ply's, then a
single layer of MDF , and then the Wood outer veneer.
This type of plywood seems to have a uniform thickness.

If you need lumber core, try Clarks Hardwood Lumber or Hardwood Products in
Houston.