Posted to rec.woodworking
JJ

Default Instant Plane Collection?

Anyone interested in having an instant plane collection might want to
check this out. Just showed up on the local craigslist. Wish I had a
spare $3K sitting around.

http://austin.craigslist.org/tls/141751041.html

It's not me and I don't know the guy, just thought it looked to be of
interest.

--
Remove BOB to email me
Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour

JJ wrote:
Anyone interested in having an instant plane collection might want to
check this out. Just showed up on the local craigslist. Wish I had a
spare $3K sitting around.

http://austin.craigslist.org/tls/141751041.html

It's not me and I don't know the guy, just thought it looked to be of
interest.

That's basically what I did. I paid twice that at an estate sale - guy
had been a collector with an eye for condition. I got a couple hundred
planes and hundreds of other tools. Kept what I "needed" and have been
selling the rest off on eBay...slowly.

I have one drawer in a roll-around tool chest I built dedicated to
specialty planes and another for bench planes with a sliding till for
the shoulder planes, edge trimming and the like.

As I get older I've become less enchanted with the noise and danger of
power tools. Still use them, but there's nothing like having a sharp
plane singing to you.

Anyone remember that scene in Witness where Harrison Ford is repairing
the birdhouse he ran over? He's in the Quakers' barn planing a board
and the plane sings. I always wondered if that was Ford's idea as he
used to be a carpenter or someone else's.

Posted to rec.woodworking

RicodJour wrote:

Anyone remember that scene in Witness where Harrison Ford is repairing
the birdhouse he ran over? He's in the Quakers' barn planing a board
and the plane sings. I always wondered if that was Ford's idea as he
used to be a carpenter or someone else's.

A nice big old wooden body jointer plane. He sure looked like he
knew what he was doing.

BTW, his hosts were Amish. They are frequently confused with
Quakers and Pennsylvania Dutch.

Ford was 'discovered' while working as a set carpenter in Hollywood.
I've often wondered if he did other carpentry before that.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour

wrote:
RicodJour wrote:

Anyone remember that scene in Witness where Harrison Ford is repairing
the birdhouse he ran over? He's in the Quakers' barn planing a board
and the plane sings. I always wondered if that was Ford's idea as he
used to be a carpenter or someone else's.

A nice big old wooden body jointer plane. He sure looked like he
knew what he was doing.

BTW, his hosts were Amish. They are frequently confused with
Quakers and Pennsylvania Dutch.

Of course, you're right. I really have to reintroduce my brain to my
fingers one of these days...

Ford was 'discovered' while working as a set carpenter in Hollywood.
I've often wondered if he did other carpentry before that.

I saw an interview he did where he expressed _no_ regret at no longer
working for people on their houses. I guess the set carpentry gig was
to keep him close to the action.