Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour

Default Instant Plane Collection?

JJ wrote:
Anyone interested in having an instant plane collection might want to
check this out. Just showed up on the local craigslist. Wish I had a
spare $3K sitting around.

http://austin.craigslist.org/tls/141751041.html

It's not me and I don't know the guy, just thought it looked to be of
interest.

That's basically what I did. I paid twice that at an estate sale - guy
had been a collector with an eye for condition. I got a couple hundred
planes and hundreds of other tools. Kept what I "needed" and have been
selling the rest off on eBay...slowly.

I have one drawer in a roll-around tool chest I built dedicated to
specialty planes and another for bench planes with a sliding till for
the shoulder planes, edge trimming and the like.

As I get older I've become less enchanted with the noise and danger of
power tools. Still use them, but there's nothing like having a sharp
plane singing to you.

Anyone remember that scene in Witness where Harrison Ford is repairing
the birdhouse he ran over? He's in the Quakers' barn planing a board
and the plane sings. I always wondered if that was Ford's idea as he
used to be a carpenter or someone else's.