Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking
Goose

Default Repair cracked table

Hello all,

Three years ago, I purchaseda wooden table, stained mahogeny for $50.
It was originally a $500 table, but the table top split along the
length of the table. I figured I could place wood filler, sand and
stain. Unfortunately, the gap widens in the winter and closes in the
summer.

Obviously, I am not a wood furniture expert, but I'd like to improve
the table. I've heard many different opinions:

*glue the pieces together using a clamp to pull the table top closer,
*sand the whole table down, let it fully dry out, then stain and apply
a butterfly strap
*refill the crack, stain it and then place lacquer over it

I can't seem to get a straight answer. I know the root problem is
humidity, the wood was probably not cured. Where do I go from here?

Thank you,
Goose