Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour

Default Repair cracked table

Goose wrote:
Hello all,

Three years ago, I purchaseda wooden table, stained mahogeny for $50.
It was originally a $500 table, but the table top split along the
length of the table. I figured I could place wood filler, sand and
stain. Unfortunately, the gap widens in the winter and closes in the
summer.

Obviously, I am not a wood furniture expert, but I'd like to improve
the table. I've heard many different opinions:

*glue the pieces together using a clamp to pull the table top closer,
*sand the whole table down, let it fully dry out, then stain and apply
a butterfly strap
*refill the crack, stain it and then place lacquer over it

I can't seem to get a straight answer. I know the root problem is
humidity, the wood was probably not cured. Where do I go from here?

Look underneath and see how the table top is attached to the apron
(assuming there is one). If the top is not allowed to move with
changes in temperature and humidity it'll split. The preferred way of
attaching the top to the apron is with clips, or at the very least
ovalized holes in the apron so the screws can slide a bit.

If there's no apron, and it's just the top, then the wood might not
have been fully dry before the table was made. That sort of crack is
called a check and it doesn't necessarily affect the wood strength that
much, but it is unsightly. Unfortunately I don't know of any way to
successfully repair such a check - they'll almost always open up again
if the repair isn't strong enough, or will open up in a nearby
location.

George Nakashima, the wonder of woodworking, would often use dovetails
to splice together pieces and even strengthen such checks. He didn't
avoid imperfections in wood as they were part of the wood's soul as far
as he was concerned. Whether that could be done on you table is
dependent on the style, and could look very out of place.

If your house isn't maintained at a constant temperature and humidity
(unlikely unless you live in a museum) the wood will move. The amount
it moves is dependent on the species, the amount of change in humidity
and the width of the top. Do you have forced air heating and/or no air
conditioning?