Posted to rec.woodworking
Leuf

Default Repair cracked table

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 23:09:38 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

On 10 Mar 2006 15:39:30 -0800, "Goose"
wrote:

Three years ago, I purchaseda wooden table, stained mahogeny for $50.
It was originally a $500 table, but the table top split along the
length of the table. I figured I could place wood filler, sand and
stain. Unfortunately, the gap widens in the winter and closes in the
summer.

Here's what I'd do... Remove the top, rip the top down the slit and
joint the edge. Install a biscuit every 8", glue up and clamp. Allow
the joint to fully cure for 2 days. Refinish the top and attach to
the base.

If the source of the problem is how the top is attached to the rails,
as others have said, it's just going to crack again somewhere else
down the road. Treat the source first. More than likely the top is
screwed to the rails with pocket screws. That's bad.

I'd be nervous about trying to rip the table. The edge may not be
straight anymore which would be a hazard trying to feed a heavy table
top through a table saw. I'd feel better with a straight edge and
circular saw. But then who knows what stresses in the table are going
to be released by the cut, the edges may require jointing even if you
get a clean rip. It may work, it may open a can of worms. I'd be
more inclined to pull it together with a clamp and then put a couple
pocket screws in the underside if there isn't enough room to get glue
in it.

-Leuf