Posted to rec.woodworking

Default article on hauling w short bed truck

I saw an article in the past year or two where someone devised an
adjustable keeper / hold-down for hauling sheet-goods in a less-than-8
ft. truck bed. Now I can't find the article, nor any reference to it
here, or in an online article index (woodindex.com).

Anyone know another online index, or better yet, the article's origin?
Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

That was on Wood magazine I think, it may could be in American
Woodworkers too, since these are two magazine I read and I saw that
article. Not build it though, I use a robe on my short bed.
Surely it was in one of these two.
take a look at http://www.woodmagazine.com/ you may find it, if no one
has the correct link.
Thanks
Max N

Posted to rec.woodworking
B A R R Y

Odeen wrote:

Buying a blue 2004 Tundra and dropping the gate sounds like a simpler
solution . But yes, the nylon straps with the built-in ratcheting
come-along tightener are a must for holding down up to 39 sheets of
1/2" drywall.

You didn't trade a Volkswagen Jetta with broken suspension for it, did
you? G

I like Tundras, but the '05 Tacoma Access cab is the perfect size for
me. I've got a 5x10 enclosed trailer for bigger stuff. My truck is a
year old, and I'm really liking the plastic bed and standard tie-down
rail system.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

wrote in message
ups.com...
I saw an article in the past year or two where someone devised an
adjustable keeper / hold-down for hauling sheet-goods in a less-than-8
ft. truck bed. Now I can't find the article, nor any reference to it
here, or in an online article index (woodindex.com).

Anyone know another online index, or better yet, the article's origin?
Thanks.

Why not simply lay the tail gate down and put the panels on the floor.
Works for me.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Woodchuck34

I remember when I had a pickup...sniff, sniff, tear, tear. Had to give
mine up to fit the baby's car seat in the back. I feel like such a
women when I goto the Borg now. Usually try to order from the local
lumberyard, they have free delivery, but that usually involves planning
ahead more than 1 hour.

I agree with Barry, keep the tail up, and rest the sheets on top. Wind
sheer and a nylon tie down keeps everything put.

Chuck
who likes his explorer but buys a pickup the minute the youngest gets
out of his car seat.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

On 8 Mar 2006 13:49:11 -0800, "Woodchuck34"
wrote:

I remember when I had a pickup...sniff, sniff, tear, tear. Had to give
mine up to fit the baby's car seat in the back. ... snip

That's what club cabs are for.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Pig

Cabela's sells this extend a truck hitch, which plugs into your
receiver and provides a flat tie down surface. Go to Cabela's site and
search this item number:

Extend-A-Truck Hitch
Item:IG-512499

If you adjust the height to have the plywood rest on the interior wheel
wells, this could work well. I've been meaning to get one myself.
Mutt