Posted to rec.woodworking
The Davenport's

Default Older Rockwell Planer

So I may have access to a Rockwell planer, model 22650, built in June 1984.
It is pretty good shape and was used up until the gent that owned it died
last fall.

The only reference I can find for it is telling me that it's worth about a
$1000usd. Now I'd really like to have this thing, but a grand for a 12"
planer seems a might bit steep and spendy for my blood, but if it's truely
worth it, I'll think about it...or how much IS it worth?

The widow also has a Dewalt model "B" RAS....any ideas as to the value of
it? I've never heard of it. There is also a LARGE scroll saw...I wasn't
able to get to the nameplate so I know nothing about it, other than that it
is made of LARGE pieces of cast iron and has a 24" throat. Mean anything to
anyone?

Thanks

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking
Chuck Taylor

On Tue, 7 Mar 2006 20:45:35 -0600, "The Davenport's"
wrote:

So I may have access to a Rockwell planer, model 22650, built in June 1984.
It is pretty good shape and was used up until the gent that owned it died
last fall.

The only reference I can find for it is telling me that it's worth about a
$1000usd. Now I'd really like to have this thing, but a grand for a 12"
planer seems a might bit steep and spendy for my blood, but if it's truely
worth it, I'll think about it...or how much IS it worth?

I paid $500 for one a few weeks ago. Built in 1985 and bearing an
Invicta/Delta nameplate, it's a solid machine in fantastic condition
except for the power switch which reached the end of its life sometime
between when I fired it up at its old home and when I turned it on
again at its new home.

--
Chuck Taylor
http://home.hiwaay.net/~taylorc/contact/
Posted to rec.woodworking
arw01

I would think more like $200 to $300 is all I would pay for it. A
DW735 is wider, and leaves a nicer surface.

Also you should check knife availability before deciding.

ALan

Posted to rec.woodworking
Chuck Taylor

On 8 Mar 2006 06:48:12 -0800, "arw01"
wrote:

I would think more like $200 to $300 is all I would pay for it. A
DW735 is wider, and leaves a nicer surface.

The Rockwell planer has a 13" capacity, same as the DW735. Cast iron
rather than aluminum, 240V induction motor, nice 24" long infeed and
outfeed tables (at least on mine).

Having no personal experience with the DeWalt, I can't comment on the
comparative smoothness of the surface it leaves.

--
Chuck Taylor
http://home.hiwaay.net/~taylorc/contact/
Posted to rec.woodworking
George

wrote:

I would think more like $200 to $300 is all I would pay for it. A
DW735 is wider, and leaves a nicer surface.

The Rockwell planer has a 13" capacity, same as the DW735. Cast iron
rather than aluminum, 240V induction motor, nice 24" long infeed and
outfeed tables (at least on mine).

Having no personal experience with the DeWalt, I can't comment on the
comparative smoothness of the surface it leaves.

Just consider how much more wood the cast iron type will process after the
lunchbox develops the shakes. Got to love the bed rollers on rough sawn
stuff, and then there's the serrated steel infeed roller, the adjustable
pressure and the steel outfeed.

Easily worth the price of a new lunchbox type.

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"Mike M" wrote in message
I bought mine new in the early 80's, Change the gear box oil, and
change/sharpen the blades and its never needed any other work.. Comes
with a tool that makes setting the blades real easy. Recently added
dust collection and the part was still available from Delta.

You _do_ know that a standard floor register fixture is a press fit?

I ask, because the real item pulls from the center, and wide boards with
sharp blades will jam a center pull with wide shavings. I use a duct which
pulls from the end, and it clears better.