Posted to rec.woodworking
GrataF16

Default sharpening an old backsaw

I recently purchased an old Disston #4 10" backsaw. I want to refurb
the saw into a user dovetail saw, but it will need to be retoothed. I
want a 14-16 tpi rip tooth with ~ 8 degrees of rake angle. My local
sharpening service says he can do it for me, but a couple things make
me leery of this. First, he says he will have to remove the handle in
order to bring the teeth parallel to the back (saw vise interference).
Second, he uses a machine to cut the teeth.

Has anyone had good luck using this kind of service to produce a good
dovetail saw? Or should I send it off to someone who can do it by
hand?

Any suggestions for a reputable saw sharpener? And I *know* someone is
going to tell me to learn to sharpen it myself. That's a project for
down the road -- and a cheaper saw.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Phisherman

On 4 Mar 2006 09:14:18 -0800, "GrataF16"
wrote:

I recently purchased an old Disston #4 10" backsaw. I want to refurb
the saw into a user dovetail saw, but it will need to be retoothed. I
want a 14-16 tpi rip tooth with ~ 8 degrees of rake angle. My local
sharpening service says he can do it for me, but a couple things make
me leery of this. First, he says he will have to remove the handle in
order to bring the teeth parallel to the back (saw vise interference).
Second, he uses a machine to cut the teeth.

Has anyone had good luck using this kind of service to produce a good
dovetail saw? Or should I send it off to someone who can do it by
hand?

Any suggestions for a reputable saw sharpener? And I *know* someone is
going to tell me to learn to sharpen it myself. That's a project for
down the road -- and a cheaper saw.

Thanks.

I'd be surprised if the charge is reasonable enough to justify a
sharpening service. I, too, have put off buying sawsets--seen lots of
them at flea markets. When sharpened and set properly, a sewing
needle will glide down between the teeth without falling off.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

wrote:

[...]

I think he wants a rip profile. I believe that will only work with a
crosscut blade.

er
--
email not valid
Posted to rec.woodworking
Lowell Holmes

"GrataF16" wrote in message
oups.com...
I recently purchased an old Disston #4 10" backsaw. I want to refurb
snip

Has anyone had good luck using this kind of service to produce a good
dovetail saw? Or should I send it off to someone who can do it by
hand?

Any suggestions for a reputable saw sharpener? And I *know* someone is
going to tell me to learn to sharpen it myself. That's a project for
down the road -- and a cheaper saw.

Thanks.

I've refurbished an old Disston backsaw. I think it is pre-1900. I had to
make a new handle for it. I don't understand your reluctance for the
sharpening service taking the handle off. It approaches my L/N saws in
performance. (All three of them) Is that a drive-by gloat? :-)

In the current issue of Fine Woodworking, there is an article addressing
resharpening and re-toothing a backsaw. They have a video about it on their
web site. It's part of their Master Class column.

I sharpen my own L/N dovetail saw. You can get a set from Highland Hardware
for about $20 (IIRC). They also have the 4 extra slim files. Veritas has a
nice tool for jointing the teeth.