Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels

Default How to prevent untempered masonite from warping.

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message news:...

"PeterYew" wrote in message
oups.com...
My artist wife typically paints on 1/4 in or 1/8 in (3 ft by 4 ft)
untempered masonite panels.
The panels are always first painted or gessoed on both sides and on
all 4 ends. They are usually not framed. Never had a problem until
several years ago.
Up until then the panels which I bought from regular lumber yards were
smooth on one side and rough textured on the other side.Now the panels
are smooth on both sides.
Now they warp in a short period.So I tried several things.
1. I glued a baltic birch plywood cross brace on the back. No luck.
2. I glued a baltic birch frame around the back plus the cross brace.
Again. no luck.
3. I added a regular frame . Again, no luck.
Any suggestions?
My wife has shifted to canvas panels. but would like to go back to
masonite.

Is there any possibility that a local lumber yard could order the other
kind of hardboard? It would be worth a phone call or two. It might also
be worth looking around on the web to see if anybody still makes or sells
it.

I did a quick search. I came up with these.

http://www.dickblick.com/zz149/45/

http://www.danielsmith.com/learn/techLeaflets/0012/

http://painting.about.com/od/paintin.../hardboard.htm

There is a lot more. If you want to continue on with the search, use this;

http://www.google.com/search?as_q=ma...s=&safe=images

From what I read, the tempered hardboard has oils that canlechout and
interfere with the paints. I really don't know if that would be a problem in
terms of warping though.