Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Krippler

Default WTB: Replacement parts for my...

Hi,
I need to replace both of the larger wheels on this machine:

http://home.socal.rr.com/swcpages/pics/delta1x42.jpg

Delta Machinery Model 31-350 "Sander/Grinder"

The bottom (driver) wheel is cracked and I'm afraid that it is going
to shatter.

I've looked on Ace and they don't have the bottom wheel anymore
This is a great machine and I don't want to lose it...

I've looked around the web and can't find a good source for older
delta parts...

Thanks,
--Max
Posted to rec.woodworking
Pete C.

Max Krippler wrote:

Hi,
I need to replace both of the larger wheels on this machine:

http://home.socal.rr.com/swcpages/pics/delta1x42.jpg

Delta Machinery Model 31-350 "Sander/Grinder"

The bottom (driver) wheel is cracked and I'm afraid that it is going
to shatter.

I've looked on Ace and they don't have the bottom wheel anymore
This is a great machine and I don't want to lose it...

I've looked around the web and can't find a good source for older
delta parts...

Thanks,
--Max

Try posting on rec.crafts.metalworking someone there probably knows a
source and if not someone there could probably make you a replacement.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Wade

Max,
Looks like you need to replace the small one while you're at it- it was
the best of the lot, Delta supplied a decent metal wheel for it, you
just have the bearing. About 6 months ago I placed an order for the
lower wheel and other stuff from my local Delta repair shop- it and the
other stuff never arrived, now it looks too late.

One option- make em yourself. Epoxy bearings (There are some non-metric
sizes that will match drill bits you probly own) into the non-drive
wheels, you need a 5/8" bore for the drive shaft. The key is not vital
if you have a decent fit.

Make em out of stuff on hand- glued up MDF or ply or an extra stable
wood, or ?? Turn them on a lathe; if you don't have one you can turn
the drive wheel on a motor with 5/8 shaft. At least one wheel should be
crowned about 2-3 degrees. Bob Vaughan has posted slightly greater
details on OWWM. I'm not sure ones you make would be inferior to what
Delta put on that machine, they would probably be better.

Unfortunately I do not know any great sources for sander wheels. The
Taiwan/China models have metric shaft sizes, but might could be
adopted. Beaumont metal works has some, but all are too wide and not
big enuf diameter.

I bought one of these puppies (older rockwell 1" belt grinder) off ebay
fer $30, and it came with an unusable drive wheel of rubber. At that
price I didn't complain,I turned it down on a motor (so I didn't need a
mandrel; automatically centered). It came out nicely, works okay, but
diameter a bit small. Will make another bigger one from MDF.

Wade