Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

Default "Measuring" - Don't Be Oral Anal Retentive

Jeweler's loop. A few weeks ago we hired a new machine opperator. He had
just run a part. I walked up and asked him what the measurement was on the
bevel as that was particularly fussy on this part. He said he didn't know,
he would have to put it on the optical comparator to find out. I picked it
up, put my scale on it and told him .308. He kind of chuckeled, took the
part and headed up to inspection to put it on the comparator. When he came
back he said "damn! .308". He doesn't doubt me anymore.

"Leon" wrote in message
et...

"CW" wrote in message
.net...
Good one.

Wellllllll I know that sounded kinda smart ass. I wonder if he really
meant to ask, How can you see the graduations between .86 and .87.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Juergen Hannappel

"C&S" writes:

[...]

What I meant was:

Quick, which one is the nineth line?

Easy, a sensible ruler looks like this:

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| |
| | | | | | | | | | |
| | | | | |

Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869
Physikalisches Institut der Uni Bonn Nussallee 12, D-53115 Bonn, Germany
CERN: Phone: +412276 76461 Fax: ..77930 Bat. 892-R-A13 CH-1211 Geneve 23
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"C&S" wrote in message

What I meant was:

Quick, which one is the nineth line?

I find it easier to look for

| | | | | | | | | | | | | | |

Half way past the fourth one.

Hell Steve, which one is the 4th one. LOL I concur.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

"C&S" wrote in message

Quick, which one is the nineth line?

The one right afte eight and just before nine.

I find it easier to look for

| | | | | | | | | | | | | | |

It would be a lot easier to measure to the nearest foot but makeing
something like a jewelry box to the nearest foot would be a little hard.

Half way past the fourth one.

-Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

Yes, you have a point. Different manufacturers have come up with different
ways of marking their graduations. Some are much better than others.

"Juergen Hannappel" wrote in message
"C&S" writes:

[...]

What I meant was:

Quick, which one is the nineth line?

Easy, a sensible ruler looks like this:

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| |
| | | | | | | | | | |
| | | | | |

Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869
Physikalisches Institut der Uni Bonn Nussallee 12, D-53115 Bonn, Germany
CERN: Phone: +412276 76461 Fax: ..77930 Bat. 892-R-A13 CH-1211 Geneve 23

Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

Leon wrote:
"CW" wrote in message
.net...

Leon, you should take a look at Intellicad. Prices vary widely among
dealers
but the light version will run between $51.95 to $250.00 depending on
source.

Thank you CW. IIRC you have mentioned this before and I will strongly
consider that when I feel an upgrade is in order. Right now I am using LT
2004.

It is essentially an Autocad clone. The light version of Intellicad
has more features than Autocad LT (such as LISP).

I would probably be interested in the lite version over 3D. While I had
formal instruction in mechanical and archetecrutal drafting in school, and
I'll pat my self on the back, I was very good with the pencil, I have not
had any training with any CAD program. Most CAD programs and particular the
Autodesk programs seemed to come very naturally to me. I am sure I am not
using the programs to their full potential but I can draw much faster with
LT than with the pencil these days. :~) When in high school I was entering
college level competition drawing contests and placing close to the top.
Back then I lived and breathed drafting. Oddly I did not persue a career in
drafting. Looking back however I am glad that I did not.

The full version does 3D,

imports jpg, tiff ect. Price on the full version, again depending on
source,
is between $250.00 and $500.00. Depending on how much you use icons, the
transition to Icad can take you from 15 minutes to a couple hours. If you
run Acad from the command line, the adaptation to Icad will be near
instant.
Same command line, same commands. The icons are, however, a bit different
the point it will take a bit more getting used to. As I'm a command line
user, switching back and forth between the two is easy. It is native DWG
and
will read and write any Acad version from 2.5 to the most recent so it
does
not obsolete your present work. I have the full version from CMS. My last
upgrade cost me $85.00 and that was going from the light to full versions.

Well again, being of the old school mentality and having no CAD instruction
I stick to Isometric vs. true 3D. When LT initially came out it was
strictly command line entry IIRC. I prefer the Icons to initiate and
entering the data as needed on the command line. More common commands I use
the command line. It's just with the icons I have not had to learn the
lesser used commands.

If 2D CAD is enough, I've been playing around with QCAD (a linux
program) since this thread started, and it looks to have enough features
to plan something out--at least to the inexperienced eye. It does
scaling, dimensioning, and measuring of any object you might want to
draw. It uses the Drawing Exchange format to save your work. I've never
used a commercial CAD program, though, so I can't say how it measures up
to what you are accustomed to using.

Oh yeah, and it's Free Software.

er
--
email not valid
Posted to rec.woodworking
C&S

Easy, a sensible ruler looks like this:

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| |
| | | | | | | | | | |
| | | | | |

My Starett combination square looks like:

| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | |
| |

So which one was the 9th?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Enoch Root" wrote in message

If 2D CAD is enough, I've been playing around with QCAD (a linux
program) since this thread started, and it looks to have enough features
to plan something out--at least to the inexperienced eye. It does
scaling, dimensioning, and measuring of any object you might want to
draw. It uses the Drawing Exchange format to save your work. I've never
used a commercial CAD program, though, so I can't say how it measures up
to what you are accustomed to using.

I tried the Win32 version and decided to go back to the QuickCAD/AutoSketch9
mode of CAD which, IMO, is much more powerful and intuitive, but that could
simply be because of my familiarity with the latter.

What I liked about qcad is that it runs completely out of its own directory
with none of the registry shenanigans of most windows programs.

I think if you can get used to it, or start out on it, it is a hell of a
program for the price.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
Puckdropper

Lobby Dosser wrote in

I've been using CutList Plus lately for sheet goods and I find that it
helps me save money by minimizing waste and also minimizing cash flow.
I use the 'Part Trim' variable, in addition to the 'Kerf Width', to
set a margin around the part. This allows for initial rough cutting
and a margin for fitting parts to partially assembled components..

I used that once to layout the cuts for a couple of tape cases I made.
It worked out quite well, as the final cut left a trimmed off piece of
about 1/4".

Puckdropper
--
www.uncreativelabs.net

still enjoy using the old computers. Sometimes we want to see how far a
particular system can go, other times we use a stock system to remind
ourselves of what we once had.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Puckdropper

"C&S" wrote in
:

Ah-men brother!

It ****es me off that all of the better rules out there have markings
that make the damn thing harder to use. If the job requires more
accuracy than interpolation between 32nds, you should use differnt
measuring tool/technique... like a feeler gauge, a setup block, dial
indicator. 64ths on a rule make the tool less useful not more.

Thanks, for letting me rant.

Steve

I've got one with 1/64" measurements. I can hardly see the space between
marks...

Puckdropper

--
www.uncreativelabs.net

still enjoy using the old computers. Sometimes we want to see how far a
particular system can go, other times we use a stock system to remind
ourselves of what we once had.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bruce Barnett

"Leon" writes:

Aren't we supposed to cut to .87 and sand to .86??

Or is often in my case cut to .74 and try to sand to .75. :~)

LOL!!!
Do you use a coarser grit when it goes to .73?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bruce Barnett

Puckdropper writes:

I've got one with 1/64" measurements. I can hardly see the space between
marks...

Aren't the lines on either side longer?

I find this easier to know if I'm on a 1/32" or 1/64" graduation.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Bruce Barnett" wrote in message
Or is often in my case cut to .74 and try to sand to .75. :~)

LOL!!!
Do you use a coarser grit when it goes to .73?

yes...

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message

IIRC and FYI Baltic Birch will only come in approx 5'x5' sheets

Probably 1.5 meters.

IIRC a bit more, 60+inches.

and be
free of voids in the inner ply's.

Which this stuff better be, or they've got an angry customer.

Again 5x5 sheets does not
absolutely mean that is a true Baltic Birch. I have found that some
of the imitators have a fuzzy outside surface not really slick and
smooth as the true Baltic Birch.

Just checked. Fuzzy. Would you believe Russian Birch? ;~)

Yes. Legit places will call it Russian Birch instead of Baltic Birch. That
said, even the imitation stuff is better than regular 1/2" or 1/4" plywood.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Sam

What does "oral anal" retentive mean? Sam

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article ,
"Leon" wrote:

[snipped other stuff for brevity]

Yes. Legit places will call it Russian Birch instead of Baltic Birch. That
said, even the imitation stuff is better than regular 1/2" or 1/4" plywood.

One thing is for sure, as a guy who used a lot of Baltic Birch in
loudspeaker manufacturing, the stuff varies widely in quality. (I never
used much for the actual enclosures, as the stuff rings like a bell)
The very best comes from Finland, the bulk comes from Russia.
You never hide the edges of the real Baltic Birch.

http://www.eibis.com/eibis/eibiswww/eibispix/4136-1.jpg

The stuff makes you drool.

http://www.eibis.com/eibis/eibiswww/eibispix/4136-2.jpg

The grades are very limited, mostly BB here, but the problems I have
encountered have all had to do with the 5x5 sheets 'dishing' especially
with the 9-ply 1/2". It's a bitch making something square (Cube) from
sheets like that. Some would make a decent birdbath.

All in all, I really like laminating 4 layers of 1/4" for a hefty
sweeping edge on a countertop....very curvy and durable.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Puckdropper

Bruce Barnett wrote in
:

Puckdropper writes:

I've got one with 1/64" measurements. I can hardly see the space
between marks...

Aren't the lines on either side longer?

I find this easier to know if I'm on a 1/32" or 1/64" graduation.

No, they're all the same size. It's a scale rule made for model
railroading, and that's the only bad thing about it.

Puckdropper
--
www.uncreativelabs.net

still enjoy using the old computers. Sometimes we want to see how far a
particular system can go, other times we use a stock system to remind
ourselves of what we once had.

Posted to rec.woodworking
charlie b

Sam wrote:

What does "oral anal" retentive mean? Sam

Someone who feels they must consume everything
and keep it - forever. Often have unreasonable
expectations and frequently severly disappointed.

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han

Lobby Dosser wrote in news:7u8Mf.2532
$XE6.2419@trnddc07:

IIRC and FYI Baltic Birch will only come in approx 5'x5' sheets

Probably 1.5 meters.

Actually, the 4x8 sheets I saw in Holland were not very metric, but closer
to 4x4 and 8x4 (feet).

From a Dutch BORG's site www.gamma.com (very,very slow from NJ):
I have no idea what FSC 70% means.
Translations:
Properties
Wood is European conifer
Sheet is made of woodfibers, finely ground and then with glue compressed to
a sheet in a special production process
Measures etc
Thicknesses etc

Quoting from the site after going through f@#$% java stuff:

MDF
FSC 70%
Kenmerken:
· Houtsoort: Europees naaldhout.
·Opbouw plaat: Zeer fijn gemalen houtvezels die met lijm in een speciaal
productieproces samengeperst worden tot een plaat.
·Afmetingen: 244 x 122 cm en 122 x 61 cm.
·Diktes: Ca. 4 mm, 8 mm, 12 mm, 18 mm en 22 mm.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article ,
Han wrote:

From a Dutch BORG's site www.gamma.com (very,very slow from NJ):
I have no idea what FSC 70% means.

I don't know that either.
Baltic Birch was called Triplex, when I was living in Holland...
pronounced TreePlex.
The thinner stuff (1/4" or less) was a favourite amongst the scroll
sawing crowd.

Snappie?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lobby Dosser

Han wrote:

Lobby Dosser wrote in
news:7u8Mf.2532 $XE6.2419@trnddc07:

IIRC and FYI Baltic Birch will only come in approx 5'x5' sheets

Probably 1.5 meters.

Actually, the 4x8 sheets I saw in Holland were not very metric, but
closer to 4x4 and 8x4 (feet).

The entire plywood industry seems to be rife with inconsistency!

From a Dutch BORG's site www.gamma.com (very,very slow from NJ):
I have no idea what FSC 70% means.

In trailer/motorhome language it means Fully Self Contained - has a
toilet. Though I doubt that applies to plywood
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han

Robatoy wrote in news:design-A6896A.11094426022006
@news.bellglobal.com:

Baltic Birch was called Triplex, when I was living in Holland...
pronounced TreePlex.

Triplex, en multiplex for the thicker stuff.

The thinner stuff (1/4" or less) was a favourite amongst the scroll
sawing crowd.

Snappie?

????
Ik begrijp dat niet, hoor!