Posted to rec.woodworking
Brian Mahaney

Default Water based poly problem update

I posted a question about a problem I was having with a crackling finish
using water based polyurathe. I did a little experiment separating out a
few variables, and found that that the problem was an incompatability with
the shellac that I used as a sealer. The product did not specifically
state any known problem with this, so for anyone else who might care to
know, Ace brand, water based poly is not compatible with a shellac sealer.
I am aware that other brands state that they are not compatable with
shellac, but since the Ace does not say, I thought I'd point it out.
Lesson learned.

Brian
Posted to rec.woodworking
Wayne Weber

It's not the shellac per se that is the problem but the fact that shellac
has wax in it. You can buy specially dewaxed shellac commercially (Can't
remember the brand or name) or make your own using dewaxed shellac flakes.
Those will work fine under almost all finishes including water based.

"Brian Mahaney" wrote in message
I posted a question about a problem I was having with a crackling finish
using water based polyurathe. I did a little experiment separating out a
few variables, and found that that the problem was an incompatability with
the shellac that I used as a sealer. The product did not specifically
state any known problem with this, so for anyone else who might care to
know, Ace brand, water based poly is not compatible with a shellac sealer.
I am aware that other brands state that they are not compatable with
shellac, but since the Ace does not say, I thought I'd point it out.
Lesson learned.

Brian

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Wayne Weber wrote:
[...]

The OP stated in the last thread that it was dewaxed.

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

The last can of shellac I bought stated right on the can not to use it under
poly. Now I know why. Thanks for experimenting for me.