Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

Default Water based poly problem update

The last can of shellac I bought stated right on the can not to use it under
poly. Now I know why. Thanks for experimenting for me.
"Brian Mahaney" wrote in message
I posted a question about a problem I was having with a crackling finish
using water based polyurathe. I did a little experiment separating out a
few variables, and found that that the problem was an incompatability with
the shellac that I used as a sealer. The product did not specifically
state any known problem with this, so for anyone else who might care to
know, Ace brand, water based poly is not compatible with a shellac sealer.
I am aware that other brands state that they are not compatable with
shellac, but since the Ace does not say, I thought I'd point it out.
Lesson learned.

Brian