Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking
Chas12

Default wooden railing

Hi,
My 1923 house has a wooden railing where the handrail has been painted a
number of times, and the last 'job' was a very poor attempt at an antiqued
grain. The newel posts are the same. The bottom one is loose enough that I
want to remove it, but the one at the landing is solid, and has its base
extended down to a point where I don't want to play with it. I want to get
the finish off the handrails, and I don't like strippers, I prefer to use a
scraper. I would however, consider having the pieces dipped if it is the
only alternative. Under the handrail are 2 starwheels like we had on drum
brake adjusters. I'm guessing that if I loosen those, I might be able to
free everything. The balusters are fine.
My other alternative is to paint the handrail. Has anyone seen that done?
Its a traditional house, so I would think a dark color like a black or brown
would be appropriate?
Thanks!!
Chas