Posted to rec.woodworking
foggytown

Default Finger/box joints

I'm going to do some experimentation. I can't think of any reason why,
with the proper setup, I can't do reasonable finger/box joints on my
router table. Is there? Do them the same way they're don on a TS
except using a straight bit.

FoggyTown

Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

"foggytown" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm going to do some experimentation. I can't think of any reason why,
with the proper setup, I can't do reasonable finger/box joints on my
router table. Is there? Do them the same way they're don on a TS
except using a straight bit.

FoggyTown

Just watch for tearout. Insure you have the fence at 90 deg. Use a backer.
Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"foggytown" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm going to do some experimentation. I can't think of any reason why,
with the proper setup, I can't do reasonable finger/box joints on my
router table. Is there? Do them the same way they're don on a TS
except using a straight bit.

FoggyTown

Yes it can be done and I have done it. IIRC An older issue of WoodSmith
shows how to do this. They built a sled that hung over the front and back
edge to guide it on a straight path and had a fence with a key inserted to
position the work. There are numerous plans for jigs out there to do this.

Posted to rec.woodworking

foggytown wrote:
I'm going to do some experimentation. I can't think of any reason why,
with the proper setup, I can't do reasonable finger/box joints on my
router table. Is there? Do them the same way they're don on a TS
except using a straight bit.

No reason at all.

I've done them with a jig that attaches to the base of the router,
just a sub-base with a cleat on it to ride in the groove from the
last pass.

I think your idea is better, at least for anything that isn't too big
to balance easily on the router table. ISTR the router guys
(father and son team in Manitoba) do finger joints that way,
maybe dovetails too.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen

foggytown wrote:
I'm going to do some experimentation. I can't think of any reason why,
with the proper setup, I can't do reasonable finger/box joints on my
router table. Is there? Do them the same way they're don on a TS
except using a straight bit.

Here's one possibility:

http://www.routerworkshop.com/boxjoints.html

Chris

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have until recently always done them on a router table with a jig.
Make sure the bit is 90 degrees to the jig bed that the stock rests on.
The face of the stock is 90 degrees to the path you push the jig into
the bit (miter slot if you use that). Sharp bit
Joe

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

In article .com,
foggytown wrote:

I'm going to do some experimentation. I can't think of any reason why,
with the proper setup, I can't do reasonable finger/box joints on my
router table. Is there? Do them the same way they're don on a TS
except using a straight bit.

You can see how I did it he

http://homepage.mac.com/balderstone/PhotoAlbum1.html

--
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
- Mark Twain.