Posted to rec.woodworking
Ken Nuzum

Default Pencil erasures and spray adhesive removal

Can someone give me a clue of what to use to remove pencil marks and spray
adhesive from baltic birch? I am scrollsawing some pieces and need to remove
both prior to finishing. The pieces are too delicate to sand.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller

In article , "Ken Nuzum" wrote:
Can someone give me a clue of what to use to remove pencil marks and spray
adhesive from baltic birch? I am scrollsawing some pieces and need to remove
both prior to finishing. The pieces are too delicate to sand.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Paint thinner (mineral spirits) should remove the adhesive, and a pencil
eraser will remove the pencil marks.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking
Sweet Sawdust

I have found turpentine to work better then mineral spirits on some of the
spray adhesives, leaves a good "piney smell too.
"Doug Miller" wrote in message
et...
In article , "Ken Nuzum"

wrote:
Can someone give me a clue of what to use to remove pencil marks and

spray
adhesive from baltic birch? I am scrollsawing some pieces and need to

remove
both prior to finishing. The pieces are too delicate to sand.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Paint thinner (mineral spirits) should remove the adhesive, and a pencil
eraser will remove the pencil marks.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking
Charley

When I'm making delicate pieces on my scroll saw I always make a pattern on
paper (either hand drawn pencil or a photocopy) and glue it to the wood with
a special waxy spray-on glue that is made for this purpose. I never put
pencil lines directly on the wood and I pre-sand the wood before I start.
After cutting out the parts, I remove the paper and glue with paint thinner.
The only follow-on sanding that I do is sometimes a careful rub with fine
paper to clean up any rough edges. Woodworkers Supply sells the glue, but
I'm sure that it's available from other sources.

--
Charley

"Ken Nuzum" wrote in message
Can someone give me a clue of what to use to remove pencil marks and spray
adhesive from baltic birch? I am scrollsawing some pieces and need to

remove
both prior to finishing. The pieces are too delicate to sand.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

wrote:
Can someone give me a clue of what to use to remove pencil marks and spray
adhesive from baltic birch? I am scrollsawing some pieces and need to
remove
both prior to finishing. The pieces are too delicate to sand.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Paint thinner (mineral spirits) should remove the adhesive, and a pencil
eraser will remove the pencil marks.

Screw the eraser. Your mention of paint thinner also dissolves pencil marks
INSTANTLY and EFFORTLESSLY.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Ken Nuzum" wrote in message
Can someone give me a clue of what to use to remove pencil marks and spray
adhesive from baltic birch? I am scrollsawing some pieces and need to
remove both prior to finishing. The pieces are too delicate to sand.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Paint thinner will "instantly" remove pencil marks. Thinner or Acetone will
work on the adhesive.

Posted to rec.woodworking
none

"Ken Nuzum" wrote in message
Can someone give me a clue of what to use to remove pencil marks and spray
adhesive from baltic birch? I am scrollsawing some pieces and need to
remove both prior to finishing. The pieces are too delicate to sand.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Use some lacquer thinner (or equivalent) to remove the pencil marks and
avoid using a standard hard-rubber eraser. If you must use an eraser then
get one of the soft gummy erasers as used in artwork so you do not
essentially sand the area with the eraser. Only use the eraser in the
direction of the grain if needed. There are several solvents that will
remove pencil marks and have names I can't recall at the moment but they all
work as lacquer thinners too. Look at the cans in the borg and read the
safety precautions for using the stuff - some are very potent.

Bob S.

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Ken Nuzum wrote:

Can someone give me a clue of what to use to remove pencil marks and spray
adhesive from baltic birch? I am scrollsawing some pieces and need to remove
both prior to finishing. The pieces are too delicate to sand.
Thanks in advance for any help.

For pencil marks, I use alcohol. not sure that would help with the
adhesive, which may be why so many others mentioned thinner.
Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

Ken Nuzum wrote:
Can someone give me a clue of what to use to remove pencil marks and spray
adhesive from baltic birch? I am scrollsawing some pieces and need to remove
both prior to finishing. The pieces are too delicate to sand.
Thanks in advance for any help.

I had good luck removing eraser rubber from the pores of some oak by
using a stiff short hair (as in, bristles made of hair) brush. A shoe
brush works well for that. Never again will I use an eraser on wood.

er
--
email not valid
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leuf

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 08:48:16 -0500, "Ken Nuzum"
wrote:

Can someone give me a clue of what to use to remove pencil marks and spray
adhesive from baltic birch? I am scrollsawing some pieces and need to remove
both prior to finishing. The pieces are too delicate to sand.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Have you actually tried sanding? I've put some stuff I thought was
too delicate under a ROS with no ill effects, much less careful hand
sanding. I figure if it can't hold up to that how is it going to hold
up over time to regular handling?

Something I've recently been doing is printing/drawing on self
adhesive labels. They sometimes pull off from the scroll saw a bit,
but they don't leave much residue, and no pencil marks.

-Leuf

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

Ken Nuzum wrote:
Can someone give me a clue of what to use to remove pencil marks and

spray
adhesive from baltic birch? I am scrollsawing some pieces and need to

remove
both prior to finishing. The pieces are too delicate to sand.

Rubber cement works wonders.

Apply a coat with a brush, let dry, then rub off with your finger.

Lew